Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barcovision 708 MM Top Bow Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Barcovision 708 MM Top Bow Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently picked up a Barco 708 Multimedia projector in decent condition with about 3500 hours on the clock. The pj seemed to be working perfectly and I've spent the last week learning heaps and setting it up. I finally managed to get a great picture out of it from a standard DVD player connected via s-video. (I'm about ready to order a HDfury)

OK, this evening I fired it up to watch a movie and immediately noticed the geometry of the top of the image was severely bowed up at the edges, as though the top bow had not been corrected. That seemed odd because when it was switched off yesterday the picture was straight and square to the screen. After going into the geometry menu, the top bow adjustment is no longer having any effect. Both side bows and bottom bow adjustments are working as normal, but the top bow will not adjust.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with either the projector or the operator? The only setting I changed in the last couple of days was to turn on the 20 minute white warm up screen. Any help appreciated.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a bad convergence driver board, deflection board and I think maybe the H shift/focus board. I'd guess most likely the convergence driver board, since the bottom bow is OK. I've got stock of replacements if you need one.
ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt, what is the cost for a convergence driver board including delivery to Australia?

UPDATE: When I switched the pj on this morning to check it's issue, the top bow adjustment is now working! I have no idea why. The only thing I did different to yesterday was to lift the cover and tilt back the main circuit board panel. Perhaps a loose connector somewhere? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. Curt please still send me a price on a replacement convergence board in case this gremlin decides to reappear. Cheers.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open this rig up and clean all the connectors, thats all its likely to be, unless you have a bad solder joint on the convergence board....

Where are you in Australia?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will do. I'm in Tasmania, 7310.

BTW, can you suggest the best HDfury for this machine? From what I've read, gamma boost is also a must have add-on.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Fury 3 will do the job, i never really used the GammaX unit i got with it though.

If you want to wait a couple months, i have a MOOME V3 box that will be coming out of service here, it has gamma built in.

ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, not sure I can wait a couple of months for HD, life is too short Very Happy

What's the difference between HDfury 3 and Moome V3. They seem to both do pretty much the same job, with the exception that gamma boost on the HDfury is an additional add-on? Please let me know price for your unit. Thanks.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it's working. THe Moome box has better RGB processing.
ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt but after further investigation, it isn't working properly. The top bow adjustment was working fine when I tried it this morning because the PJ had not had time to warm up. As the PJ warms up, the top bow drifts upwards at the corners (pj is front table mounted) until, after about 15 minutes running, the top bow adjustment no longer works. Bottom and side bow adjustments appear to be working OK.

Does this sound like a heat related problem on the convergence driver board?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like bad solder joints.

As Curt said the MOOME box is a shade better than the HDF 3, i need mine until December. After that its yours for $100 AUD shipped.

I also have a HDF 3 and a GammaX but i dont wat to sell those, i will sell the GammaX but i use the HDF on my rear projection TVs for Daytona USA.

ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, sounds like a good deal. But can I wait that long? Confused When in December can you send the moome box?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet, probably early on

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email me at curtpalme at shaw.ca

Yes, still sounds like a convergence driver issue.
ovyyus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Not sure yet, probably early on

As expected, I couldn't wait until December. I decided I will order a HDfury 3 & gammax. Thanks anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: