Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Interesting, the surplus calls are coming in for 4K digitals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Interesting, the surplus calls are coming in for 4K digitals Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Someone offered me several of these today:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-SRXS105.htm

I passed, I'm not interested in buying or selling digitals at all, but it just shows how even recent vintage stuff is already being replaced. I'll stick with the stack, thanks!
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow - I remember when these were first coming out, all the reviewers complained about how absolutely abysmal their contrast was! Not to mention they were designed for theaters so the bulbs would be insanely expensive for HT use.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think VDC used to sell these. Iirc I saw one of them and it was CRT size.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I think VDC used to sell these. Iirc I saw one of them and it was CRT size.

At 20x30x53 and 240 lbs - I'd say so! I'm pretty sure this has some hefty cooling requirements as well, making it impractical to install in a theater without its own separate projection room.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy on ebay a short while back, he had 1 of those model projectors, and 2 newer sony 4K projectors, each $2500 starting bid... and each only went for $2500. If I recall correctly, the newer version of these had a much better contrast ratio.

Either way, $2500 for a theater 4K projector.... very cheap!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to know where you're finding surplus 4k projectors already!? Razz
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy said he'd sold me CRT projectors in the past. East coast, from his phone number, I can't even remember buying anything from him. Smile
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, did he say how expensive they were? lol. I don't blame you for not wanting to buy them, I don't imagine they would be an easy sell. I can see people purchasing CRT projectors well before a 4K theater digital.

I would buy one.... 5000 lumens, 1800:1 contrast ratio... sounds about as good as my PT-D4000U, and that actually looks pretty good!

I guess I'm just not a black level nut as much as some of ya Razz

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have jumped if they were under $500, just to play with one, but then again I paid $500 for a GE Talaria about 14 years ago, and it still sits in the road case in the theater room, untouched since I got it. Very Happy
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That projector is actually pretty awesome. Yeah, the contrast specs don't quite measure up to current models, but it's huge and heavy, REAL 4k (not just UHD), and super bright. Yes, it's absolutely CRT-sized, and very heavy. Almost 250 pounds if I remember right, which is if I recall correctly, even heavier than a BR909.

My alma mater, Iowa State University has 24 of these projectors driving the VRAC C6 virtual reality cave. You walk into a 10-foot square cube, the ceiling and walls are built out of rear-projection material, and the floor is made from a giant sheet of Plexiglas. Each side of the cube gets FOUR of these projectors; two to fill one side of the cube, and another two for double-brightness stereo viewing. So you walk in, shut the door (a wall/screen) behind you, and you are literally completely immersed in a simulation. Each wall is a 4096 x 4096 image. It's wild! If you want to see more, here's their page on the system:

http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/c6.php

Check out the photo of one on a sling, and a rack of four of them, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how huge they are. One of my very good old friends that I graduated from ISU with, is the one who designed the wild inverted-cone enclosure while we both worked for the same architecture firm right after graduation. It was built with BR909's originally in the '99-2000 ballpark, then in 2007 or 2008, they pulled all the 909's out and went to these big 4k machines.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool! I've never seen one in real life, but sure have supplied a lot of parts for Marquee setups over the years.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I would have jumped if they were under $500, just to play with one, but then again I paid $500 for a GE Talaria about 14 years ago, and it still sits in the road case in the theater room, untouched since I got it. Very Happy

Were they under $1000? Razz I'd buy one at that price to play with Laughing

Crabb - way cool setup! Not quite a holodeck, but its a step closer Very Happy . Why did they use so many projectors? Brightness? higher resolution?

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the guy wanted to get $2500 based on the one that sold on eBay. I told him that if he'd sell one for under $500, I'd grab at least one. Smile I'm pretty sure he can get more than that though.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that doesn't surprise me, most of the time it seems that ebay is used as a price reference, so that makes sense.

I'll wait until he throws them on ebay Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool, Steve. That's just north of Friley, where I used to live. Smile I'd love to see it but I doubt they offer grand tours to old alums...
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

This is one of the units that contained our polarizer. These guys basically paid for one of our buildings to be built with some of these models.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Crabb - way cool setup! Not quite a holodeck, but its a step closer Very Happy . Why did they use so many projectors? Brightness? higher resolution?

Combination of factors. First, it's pretty big screen (10 feet wide). Second, it's rear-projection, so probably 1.0 gain at best. Third, it's set up primarily for stereo viewing. With active LCD shutter glasses, you lose about half your light. So, combine all that with image brightness as being one of the key factors in creating big, lifelike, realistic images, and you need a LOT of light output.

Jeremy112 wrote:
I'll wait until he throws them on ebay Razz

Yeah, he'll throw them on ebay… For triple what they're actually worth. I love some of the INSANE prices on old, completely obsolete stuff. Here's a perfect example of that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151076833826

I couldn't get $1500 for that projector even it were new in the box and I took a time machine back to when Barack Obama was running for president and listed it on eBay. The part I can't figure out is whether there's some angle I haven't considered, or whether somebody could possibly be that clueless on pricing, and then to compound their error, sits there re-listing something on ebay over and over for months on end and wonders why it isn't selling. I mean, I can understand pricing something high, or even way too high. That projector at $500 wouldn't sell, but I could understand how it could happen, maybe misunderstanding pricing on slightly newer models, but literally off by a factor of 10? How is that even possible.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely possible because the seller has no clue what he is selling. They may be the one person who thinks " :O A projector, it must be worth a lot of money!" They probably look some JVC projectors up and see the majority of them are in the $1000-$4000 price range. So they go ahead and list their used machine lower than what a new one would cost, because to them, that seems like a good deal for a used projector.

Its very likely they received it as surplus, or they indeed bought it new and don't realize that stuff depreciates over time... Either way, that guy is a nut on the price!

IF said person with the sony 4K machines listed them on ebay, I'd assume he'd throw them on there for $2500 each, given that's what he is trying to sell them for as surplus. He knows they have a value, but he probably just wants to get rid of them for a reasonable price is what my guess would be.

Weren't those projectors like $12000+? Maybe $22000 when they were new?

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he's a surplus reseller like me. He did what I do as well, went into the completed sold auctions on eBay and saw that one sold for $2500. He's hoping he can get that for it. I'd do the same thing if I got one in the door.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
It's likely possible because the seller has no clue what he is selling. They may be the one person who thinks " :O A projector, it must be worth a lot of money!" They probably look some JVC projectors up and see the majority of them are in the $1000-$4000 price range. So they go ahead and list their used machine lower than what a new one would cost, because to them, that seems like a good deal for a used projector.

Its very likely they received it as surplus, or they indeed bought it new and don't realize that stuff depreciates over time... Either way, that guy is a nut on the price!

IF said person with the sony 4K machines listed them on ebay, I'd assume he'd throw them on there for $2500 each, given that's what he is trying to sell them for as surplus. He knows they have a value, but he probably just wants to get rid of them for a reasonable price is what my guess would be.

Weren't those projectors like $12000+? Maybe $22000 when they were new?

Add another zero on there...the lenses alone were $17K-$20K. Bulbs cost about $4K.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: