Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Watching racing in the rain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
I watched the Formula 1 yesterday on mine, was good to watch after not seeing any races for 10 years or more

Yes but the damn red flag sucked and the what 10 caution periods?

That was my 1st F1 race in years too.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten cautions? Not sure what ya mean!! I only saw three!

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten cautions? Not sure what ya mean!! I only saw three!

It just felt longer....

CRT.

HD done right!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all so different now, the cars are so quiet

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two red flags and a lot of safety car laps.

I thought the race was boring as hell. A couple of passes, but not much racing wise. Bianchi was seriously injured, which was probably because they pushed the race to far. It is funny that F1 feels compelled to get the race in on time whereas Nascar would just say f#@k it and run it on Mon.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all so different now, the cars are so quiet

Have they all gone electric? Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

I thought the race was boring as hell. A couple of passes, but not much racing wise. Bianchi was seriously injured, which was probably because they pushed the race to far. It is funny that F1 feels compelled to get the race in on time whereas Nascar would just say f#@k it and run it on Mon.

I went to an Indy race in about 2003, it was quite wet earlier on, but had cleared alot after the support races, the V8 supercars had no issues with it, the V8 Utes had no issues with it, but the Indy race was dull as ditch water. They were not racing, and it was a silly mistake to broadcast pit to driver radio conversations around the track spectator audio when it was clearly said "driver in first place will set the pace, you and everyone else are to just follow and make it look like a race. When that was broadcast, the huge number of people that left was rather amazing.

Over here, it would take some extremely serious weather conditions to prevent a good motor race taking place, the drivers all race as hard as they can given the conditions, rather than wait til the conditions are better for flat out racing.

If youre a motorsport fan Spanky, this coming Sunday is the Bathurst 1000, not certain on starting time for your area, but i believe it will be live there. It will be well worth watching. This is a race track where it can be sunny on one side and pissing down rain on the other, and although its a 1,000klm race, they dont take the slow and steady approach. Its flat out from start to finish.

I will see if i can find out what channel its on there.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant seem to find it, but you should be able to

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

I went to an Indy race in about 2003, it was quite wet earlier on, but had cleared alot after the support races, the V8 supercars had no issues with it, the V8 Utes had no issues with it, but the Indy race was dull as ditch water. They were not racing, and it was a silly mistake to broadcast pit to driver radio conversations around the track spectator audio when it was clearly said "driver in first place will set the pace, you and everyone else are to just follow and make it look like a race. When that was broadcast, the huge number of people that left was rather amazing.

Over here, it would take some extremely serious weather conditions to prevent a good motor race taking place, the drivers all race as hard as they can given the conditions, rather than wait til the conditions are better for flat out racing.

If youre a motorsport fan Spanky, this coming Sunday is the Bathurst 1000, not certain on starting time for your area, but i believe it will be live there. It will be well worth watching. This is a race track where it can be sunny on one side and pissing down rain on the other, and although its a 1,000klm race, they dont take the slow and steady approach. Its flat out from start to finish.

I will see if i can find out what channel its on there.

OK I'm going to split this off so we stop crapping in Curt's thread.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sp[itted!

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really much of a fan anymore. I watch F1 and Nascar. Sometimes I may watch an Indycar race.

That being said this Bathurst circuit looks interesting. Over 500 feet of elevation change sounds interesting. Of course that is only half the size of the hill in Crabb's backyard. Shocked
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth a watch Spanky, its almost always constant action somewhere on the track.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am not really much of a fan anymore. I watch F1 and Nascar. Sometimes I may watch an Indycar race.

I know this will make some people mad, but I'm really not a fan of F1. The cars are more like computerized, CAD-built, carbon-fiber rockets with wheels instead of wings. Even the steering wheel looks more like something for a testing and simulation platform for NASA than it does something for a car. I respect the technology - a lot - but, the racing just doesn't do much for me. There's just nothing relatable for me. Don't know anybody's name, no team names… I just have no interest.

NASCAR… Not really interested, either. I try to catch some of the Daytona 500, and maybe catch another race or two a year, but that's about it. I know a few names, and I can relate to the cars a little more, but still not much.

The one series I really love is American Le Mans (now called IMSA | Tudor). It's similar to the Australian V8 Supercars series, really. To me, that's real racing, and I honestly don't understand why both aren't more popular. Road racing is awesome! It's exciting! I like it because it feels more real; more approachable. Yeah, most of the the car classes are race-bred, but at least they're closely-related to cars that people can actually buy, and some classes are actually real cars. Manufacturers are heavily involved, getting feedback and data on technology that can and does go into real cars - again, stuff that people can actually see on the street, and maybe even buy at some point. It's also fun to see the performance difference between the classes of cars, seeing slower and faster cars on the track together, and see a Viper, Corvette, Porsche, Aston Martin, Audi, and Ferrari all out there battling it out… Passing, jockeying… Racing! It's not just a big line of mostly-identical carbon-fiber NASA-inspired computerized machines that have most of their personality beat out of them in a gajillion hours of wind-tunnel testing and finite element analysis, all lined up, running around a track for a few hours.

Speaking of tracks, that's another thing I like about ALMS and Supercars… The tracks aren't miles of perfect, velvety asphalt. They have bumps, and cracks, and manhole covers, and in many cases, they're tracks that normal people can actually go race on! Lime Rock Park, Road Atlanta, Road America, Watkins Glen, Virginia International Raceway… You can even get pit passes and go down and walk right up to the cars, and even meet the drivers and crew.

I don't know… There's just something relatable to it that I don't get with F1. F1 and the cars are like a supermodel… Great to look at, but totally unattainable; even unapproachable. ALMS GT and V8 Supercars are like the hot girl down the street that you can actually have a conversation with. Wink

That's my .02, anyway.

Spanky Ham wrote:
That being said this Bathurst circuit looks interesting. Over 500 feet of elevation change sounds interesting. Of course that is only half the size of the hill in Crabb's backyard. Shocked

Laughing

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMLS probably isn't as popular, because the best drivers aren't racing in those series. Some of the top drivers will race at Daytona, but that is about the extent of it. Like it or not, the best drivers are in Nascar and F1.

One series I would have loved is Paul Van Valkenburg's Fspec and Fnone. Fspec would be an advanced spec car without all of the gizmos. This series would be for the drivers. Fnone would be no rules except for safety. The manufacturers, engineers, and designers could go wild.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
AMLS probably isn't as popular, because the best drivers aren't racing in those series. Some of the top drivers will race at Daytona, but that is about the extent of it. Like it or not, the best drivers are in Nascar and F1.

It's a feedback loop, though… It's inertia… The best drivers are in NASCAR (in North America) because that's where the fame and fortune are, and of course there's fame and fortune there because that's where the best drivers (and therefore the fans, fame, and fortune).

I would bet that north of 50% of NASCAR fans have never even heard of ALMS or Supercars. Some may have heard of F1, but I bet they don't know what it even is. They're not "motorsports" fans as much as they're NASCAR fans. That's the impression I get, anyway.

Yes, F1 is popular worldwide, but not so much in the US. I bet way more people watch soccer in the US than watch F1 - and that's saying something. In the US, there's NASCAR and then there's everything else way, way off in the rearview mirror.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, you might have guessed I'm pretty disappointed in the state of motorsports in North America. The whole IRL–CART pissing match and the turmoil that ensued basically left a gaping hole in the market, and NASCAR owned it. There's NASCAR and then there's everything else. I remember as a kid in the late-70's watching the Indy 500 with my dad and his friends… It was the biggest motorsports even of the year! People had parties like they do with the Super Bowl. ABC Sports with Jackie Stewart doing the play-by-play… It was awesome. Now it's a shadow of its former self, and NASCAR practically IS motorsports in North America. It's just so sad to me that there's so little appreciation for anything other than NASCAR in the US. NASCAR and NFL. Man, what does that say about our culture?

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure, because I like both. Wink

Yep, Tony George thought he knew better and destroyed a great thing. In '94 Cart was probably equal to if not more recognized than Nascar. Now, IndyCartcar is a minor league series. The top five drivers would be mid-pack at best in Nascar or F1. Just pathetic!

As far as Nascar fans go, you are probably correct. I bet most of the fans didn't really care to much about racing twenty years ago. Now, my father thinks he is an expert. Rolling Eyes They have done a hell of a job marketing especially to women.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see NASCAR lasting more than 10 more years. When all the "action" is in the pits. If Nascar hadn't marketed to women when they did it would already be in its death spiral. JMHO.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have enough time to read all that right now Crabb, but why would your not liking of F1 make anyone mad???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: