Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My favorite amplifiers..!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sure, get a used pro amp. They are going for peanuts on eBay, and as long as it's not totally beat up, you can do really well. I typically get $200-300 for a QSC or Crown that's only a few years old. I've tried selling them here, and I think I sold one in the past, but most have internal fans, which most HT guys stay away from.

Look for a Crown K2 amp. Convection cooled, a few years old now, but I've only ever seen one dead one, and that was under warranty.
Kurt12

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Crown K2 Amps Reply with quote

I looked on ebay and the ones that are around $500 are in rough looking shape. One looked like it was dropped by the way the rack mount bracket was mangled. The nicer ones are going for more money. I seen one listed by an audiophile on ebay but he wanted almost $800 for his. I'll just have to keep looking. I saw some good reviews from a subwoofer forum on the Crown 4000 amp but those are getting rare.

Kurt
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The summer is over around here, so its time to get back inside playing with some gear.

I just got a set of new speakers to play with.

I went with a set of DALI EPICON 6, need to dig out some more space before i go try the EPICON 8.

Exited to hear them on a small amp like the Denon PMA S1 or NAD 3020 Series 20.

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/dali-epicon-6-floorstanding-speaker-gloss-black-pr.html
c1ferrari

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look gorgeous in gloss black and anticipate they are no less gorgeous-sounding Smile
Nice, Kurt! Thumbs Up

Sam
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im quite pleased with them so far, i did not do a full test yet, but i can say they have less phase shift and distortion than any other speaker i have ever put my ears to. That results in a very precise sound, where you can pinpoint all instruments and vocals, and they dont move around, no matter the output level.

I also got the feeling that they are a gentle load for the amp. I want a set of Epicon 8 to, and see how that goes, maybe i can use them in my HT when finished in a 4:0 setup.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
maybe i can use them in my HT when finished in a 4:0 setup.

No subs in an HT setup? Heresy, I say!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
maybe i can use them in my HT when finished in a 4:0 setup.

No subs in an HT setup? Heresy, I say!

SC

You have to try that, if done right you will get much better low level, the more speakers, the more phase problems.

Its just a question about power and speakers used, and then a processor who will mix the surround track right.

I have a B&W ASW 855, and the Dali Euphonia AS2 sub, and have 2 extra 1000W B&W amp units to play with.

The best sub track playback i ever had was with my stacked front speakers on my Dali Gravity amp.

So for tight precise sound subs wont work, you will get more boom boom boom, but thats not me, i want no boom, just move air that shakes my hole body, with no resonance, and transients that makes your heart stop if someone fire a shot. slam.

I cant find a sub who have the power and speed to do that, the units are to big heavy and slow.

I once went totaly cracy filling my HT with speakers, a set of Dali Euphonia MS5 in front, a set of MS4 rear, 2x CS4 stacked at the center, AS2 as center channel sub, ASW 855 as rear sub, it was simply impossible for me to implement all these speakers to satisfy my desire.

It would make a impressive sound level, but but but, i just felt there was to many compromises with so many different kind of drivers have to time right in 1 room.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Kurt your speaks can go down to 16hz? Shocked

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
So Kurt your speaks can go down to 16hz? Shocked

Nashou

They Will go to dc, but what good is that as there is no output left.
Ill prefer a clean undistorted 30 hz over a 20hz sub output with 50% distortion.

Many small light fast units with plenty of power, Will do what i like. Try put a dali gravity on a set of stacked dali grand diva. And tell me how it compares to a 15" woofer with a 1000w class d amp.

I just dont like the sub distortion, and slow response.

I like my ht sound clean as my stereo setup.

Tell me a movie with a 16hz sub output, and ill buy it and see how works.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
I just dont like the sub distortion, and slow response.

What do you mean by "slow response"?

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience 15's have a problem keeping up with any fast bass. Even with tons of room in the amp to stretch out. That's why I prefer 12's. I agree with the slow response post. Just my 2 cents though.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of 15's? In what kind of enclosure? Sealed? Bass reflex? Bandpass?

What is "fast bass", Jeff?

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell ya my SVS subs are clean and super fast!!!! your missing out is all I am saying.

Music never sounded better , the fast paced double bass drums come alive with the SVS subs.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer sealed subs. I have never heard SVS but as much as Nash likes them I will be looking for a demo soon.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffs Subs are also SVS, he has the BIG GUNs over there!!!!

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I tell ya my SVS subs are clean and super fast!!!! your missing out is all I am saying.

Music never sounded better , the fast paced double bass drums come alive with the SVS subs.

Nashou

I hear you, but ill say your also missing out.. We have different references, i even find a 3 way speaker with 8" woofers a compromise, ill prefer a 2 or 2,5 way Construction with 6,5" woofers, same unit as used for the mid range, it just integrate better, sounds cleaner, less phase shift, faster transients, its just a matter of enough units to move the same amount of air.

Most of the action in movies, shooting and stuff like that is mid range anyway, so a bigger amount of midrange drivers will lower distortion, and improve the experience.

Try it. I have subs, big subs, expensive subs, reference subs... No sub will do what i like.

Will you visite Williams meet.? Ill be in the Washington New York area from 15-28 Oktober if you want to play, or have something you like to share.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Nashou

I hear you, but ill say your also missing out.. We have different references, i even find a 3 way speaker with 8" woofers a compromise, ill prefer a 2 or 2,5 way Construction with 6,5" woofers, same unit as used for the mid range, it just integrate better, sounds cleaner, less phase shift, faster transients, its just a matter of enough units to move the same amount of air.

Most of the action in movies, shooting and stuff like that is mid range anyway, so a bigger amount of midrange drivers will lower distortion, and improve the experience.

Try it. I have subs, big subs, expensive subs, reference subs... No sub will do what i like.

Will you visite Williams meet.? Ill be in the Washington New York area from 15-28 Oktober if you want to play, or have something you like to share.

Physics is against you. no amount of any combination of 6.5" speakers will go down to the levels of deep bass needed for
movies. Some sound tracks have 10hz Low effects. Take your argument to the Sub woofer forum over at AVS. They would not agree and prove you wrong.

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still hear you, it still dont change the fact that ill prefer my setup over any sub setup, that my taste.

I have no Desire for 10hz with 200% distortion, run by class d amps, possibly with SMPS supply.

Please link me or supply a movie title with 10hz sub signal, then ill try play with it, maybe get someone to meassure it.

Will you visite Williams meet.? Ill be in the Washington / New York area from 15-28 Oktober if you want to play, or have something you like to share.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have all the new speakers i want for my subwoffer free HT setup. Very Happy
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your still missing out, and my SVS subs distortion is extremely low . Wink

Speaker manufacturer subs usually over rate the output and extension, Internet Direct sub companies Like SVS , PSA, Rhythmik
brands are super well thought out and only enhance movies and 2 channel systems.

Just read through some of the AVS subwoofer forum my freind.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/

But this look awesome, Dalis?

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: