Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

And so it starts- Barco 909 stack!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: And so it starts- Barco 909 stack! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Given that I've got a tiny bit of cash and some downtime, I was gonna keep this secret, but alas, I cannot!

Started on the HT, first time in over 6 years that pix will shine on a new screen. I'm going to stack Barco 909s with used tubes for now (very light wear), side by side, on a 10' wide 16:9 screen. As you can see, the room needs a LOT of work, but we started by building a frame for the screen. Simple 2x4 construction. The (for now) drywall screen is going to be mounted on a sub-frame that will be tacked into the main frame area. That way, when I can afford an acoustically transparent screen, I simply go behind the wall, take out 8 screws, and pop the whole drywall screen out. Smash out the drywall, put on the new material, and pop it back into place. that's the idea anyway. The area around the screen will be more 1X1 frames covered in black cloth. Removable via Velcro to access the area behind the screen.

DO NOT poke fun at my wall o'speakers. They've been stored there for 10+ years. Just ordered a tweeter for the Yamaha. There's also a GE Talaria projector in the corner. Smile

I am using a 3X12 Tannoy subwoofer that handles 1000 watts RMS. LCR are EAW 12" 2 way PA speakers. There's also a set of Community speakers there that aren't being used, and need a small club to be installed in. Not sure on surrounds yet. Right now I have a 5.1 receiver, but have a couple of Onkyo 7.1s to replace it with, pending if the HDMI switching works on them.

The back wall and entire ceiling will be covered in 1X1 frames, with black cloth stretched over them. That will eliminate the ceiling from needing to be patched. It also allows for future wire runs to be added or changed. The room is pretty live, so I'll play with sound absorbing material and bass traps as time goes on.

The teak wall unit is staying for now, but will most likely go away down the road, and move to the living room. Carpet will be changed at some point in time, and will be black.

The entire room is run on 1 15 amp circuit. I've run 2 more runs of 12/2 wire, I just need to find room in the breaker panel and go with a couple of 1/2 size breakers to make everything fit.

Hope to have the screen drywalled and drying tomorrow, just waiting for my buddy to show up, as I can't hammer a nail in straight.

small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.45 KB
 Viewed:  35054 Time(s)

small.jpg

Last edited by Curt Palme on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not going scope and blend the 909's ?

Nice project Thumbs Up

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough money right now for the blender. Have lots of room on the ceiling to do a blend when the time comes.. I put about 200 hours a year on my HT when I was using it, so even if I wait 5 years, the tubes will be in the same shape as they are now. Smile
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it starts Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

DO NOT poke fun at my wall o'speakers. They've been stored there for 10+ years. Just ordered a tweeter for the Yamaha. There's also a GE Talaria projector in the corner. Smile

Damn, and I so wanted to say something! Twisted Evil

I like how you're building the screen wall right in front of that window on the right there Razz , are you going to find a way around that?

Otherwise nice!! Can't wait to see the screen in and pics of the projector hanging Very Happy

Are you using a Barco, Marquee, G90 for the projector??

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it starts Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

I like how you're building the screen wall right in front of that window on the right there Razz , are you going to find a way around that?
?

Yeah, black it out. Smile the window was right in the way, so I'll end up building sound absorbing panels to cover it front and back of the screen wall. I really don't think I'll use the room at all during the day, so for now it's not an issue whatsoever, and hasn't been in the past. Sunlight is blocked by the upstairs patio anyway so it's only indirect lighting regardless.

Stacked 909s baby!!
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see that your project has started, again.
keep busy and post pics.

and enjoy every step forward.
So what is going to be the first movie?? and are we all invited??

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drywall up, ready for mudding. Will be painted matte white, nothing special for now.

Barco 909s will be held up by a 4X8 sheet of 5/8 plywood.

small 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.51 KB
 Viewed:  34978 Time(s)

small 1.jpg

small 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.06 KB
 Viewed:  34978 Time(s)

small 2.jpg

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You putting a black edge around?

Did you put some coloured c-elements in these 909s?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a green C element in the one set, haven't started working on the second one yet. Might get one set on the ceiling tomorrow, but probably next weekend. I'm in a training session all week, so nothing will get done this upcoming week if I don't get it done tomorrow.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pull ya bloody finger out mate!!! You using a MOOME or something else? CM-101 mounts?

And while youre at it, we will be needing to see some 1:1 shots from your setup with one and both machines for my Barco 9" thread Wink

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa boy! Smile

Gonna try to have one machine up by the end of the day, but it may not happen. Can always pull out the red tube while it's on the ceiling and put in a red C element.
Drywaller is here again this morning doing more mudding, and paint this afternoon.

Original Barco mounts, whatever they are called. Will run HDMI out into a Moome box, then out to an RGB splitter at the projector. Cliff says to send Mike my NEC ISS switchers, but that's low on the priority list. Hell, having even a converged picture in my HT room will be a treat after 6 years. Stupid thing is, I bought the house based on the room I have never fully set up, go figure. (actually, location, house size and lot size also played into the purchase.)

G/F is all excited about the screen being up! Smile She's already planning a meet in her mind, so all of you better get your passports up to date, your criminal records expunged, and get ready to come up... in about 3 years. Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted!

small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.38 KB
 Viewed:  34775 Time(s)

small.jpg

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plywood up, held up with 48 #10 X 2" screws.

small2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.16 KB
 Viewed:  34768 Time(s)

small2.jpg

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZIZ.. LIGHT!

small3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.59 KB
 Viewed:  34755 Time(s)

small3.jpg

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your using $120K worth of projectors and shooting it all on a piece of painted chalk :lol
Reminds me of cars I see in Boulder occasionally, total hunk of sh*t rolling down the road with a $10K Carbon racing bicycle strapped to the roof, gotta love someone who has their priorities straight.
Thumbs Up

BTW, will this be the first 909 stack? Ive seen Marquee's , G90's , even a pair of NEC PG's but never Barco's.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a DTV1200 over/under stack on a 96" rear projection screen years ago.

Curt, i will be very interested to see how perfectly converged you can get those rigs there, being on a plastaboard wall and all, the biggest issue i had was the fact it wasnt dead flat like a tensioned screen is.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

Reminds me of cars I see in Boulder occasionally, total hunk of sh*t rolling down the road with a $10K Carbon racing bicycle strapped to the roof, gotta love someone who has their priorities straight.

You mean people with different interests in life and different ideas on what is actually important?

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow can't wait to see how it turns out
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I say above, I will replace it with an acoustically transparent screen when I can afford it. I could easily throw another $10K in material only in this room, and people would still bitch about it. Smile

I am interested too in how this turns out. I'm using two relatively high hour 919 projectors, converted to flat screen use by me, and I think each set has 40-45K on them? Bunch of parts replaced by me, but yeah, I've seen how little Cliff's drifts over time. We screwed the hell out of the plywood onto the studs, 48 screws, and bolted the heck out of the bracket onto the wood. The room shifts from 50 degrees in winter when I don't use it, to 68 degrees when I do, and probably to 80ish degrees during a summer heat wave.

I probably won't be using this setup a lot, but it's about damn time that I had something at home. LOL! We'll see how it all comes together. Time to go converge once I vacuum the filthy carpet of drywall dust.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastaboard screen served me well for five years mate, who has the right to judge you on prorities eh??? Laughing

Youre not maried, so "do whatever the f*** you like" really does mean what you think!! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18
Jump to: