Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC XG LC focusing issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: NEC XG LC focusing issues Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I find my XG 135LC less sharp as I'd like it. Before I got the XG I used a NEC PG xtra with HD6 lenses, and both my memory and the taken pictures from that era telling me that the PG xtra was sharper than my current XG, this is recognition is quite disappointing now. And the worst part is I don't even know yet if my problem is electronic or optical or both of them.
I've heard that the XG LC is said to be less sharp as an XG AC, but shouldn't be worse than a PG xtra with a HD6 lenses, right?

First of all I assured that the CPC magnets are set right -and they are! Actually I redone the astig at least four times now and it really can't be better, the blob is nice round and is centered well.

The second concern is the lens focus: to me the XG lens focus supplement sheet makes no sense, at that way I always end up with an inferior focus, even if I iterate the steps 5-6 times. Here comes an interesting fact. The sharpest part of the screen I can do is in the lower left corner (front floor projection). In the center I simply can't get it as sharp as in the lower left corner -I mean without intentionally defocusing that corner.
One might think this is a scheimpflug issue, but then I would be able to achieve the same sharpness in the center as in the lower left corner, just not in the same time, this is not the case.

The EM focus adjustments are seeming to do what they should in all zones, and they are set to the best position of course

Yesterday I went on adjusting the focus coil on the neck (on green), and again led to an interesting result. To make sure to set the best possible place for the coil I pulled all cables from it. I found the best place (where it was also originally): when the yoke is pushed on the deflection yoke as much as possible, still I found it more underfocused in the center than it is desired, this may indicate improper magnetization of the coil, while the lower left corner still remained in focus without any electronic correction, the placement of the yoke could worsen this sharpness of the corner though. But the tendency of the better focus denoted that the coil should be pushed even further up "inside" the deflection coil, but that's impossible of course.

So? Any ideas how to go on setup masters? Smile
Opinions from G70 owners are also much appreciated, since the two machines are really comparable in this regard (and any other way of course).

View user's photo album (1 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it consistent with all 3 tubes or only on green?

Since you should be testing looking at the tube face for now to be sure it is not a lens problem, and since you should not be looking close up at the tube face without the lens on, you should face a camera at the tube face and connect the camera to a monitor so you can view what is going on without self damage.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is somewhat consistent, green and red is about the same, green is probably the worst though. The blue is about doing what it should do, never went into it.

Yeah I was thinking about the camera trick as well, but because of the C-element I don't know if it will be usable, worth a try...

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I dug out my Akai PV-M2 camera and it's not working anymore, I have to fix that first, LOL
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the neck hardware from the green to the red, red on blue, then blue on green, this way theyre all swapped, everything, then put it all back in and try again. Connect to the correct connectors though.

While you have the tubes out, check the adjusting rings inside the housings are not damaged.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your OP, it sounds like you have optical issues only, very common on the XG sets according to the late Doug Baisey.

THe Scheimpflug rings are never quite accurate to the screen sizes, so you may need to set the tabs off by quite a bit.

But.. before I mis-read.. when you say you need to defocus the set to get best focus in certain areas of the screen.. do you mean an electronic defocus, or a LENS defocus? If electronics, then you have a tube/hardware issue. If lens, then it's a Scheimpflug issue.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
But.. before I mis-read.. when you say you need to defocus the set to get best focus in certain areas of the screen.. do you mean an electronic defocus, or a LENS defocus? If electronics, then you have a tube/hardware issue. If lens, then it's a Scheimpflug issue.

Yeah, I set the lens only. But did test if any electrical/magnetical adjustments can make it more sharp, but I think I've reached the top there already.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent put mine back together yet, although i did get a full refund from paypal for VDC putting incorrect info on my package causing it to be returned to them. I will get to it one day

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then you have Scheimpflug adjustment issues. According to Doug Baisey, the tab settings vs screen size in the manual aren`t always correct, so you may need to (mis) adjust those to bring focusing up to 100% in the corners.

Put on sunglasses and set the electronic focusing and astig and neck magnets to be perfect. The rest of the focusing is done via lens and mechanical astig tabs at the lens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: