Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BLUE AND RED CONVERGENCE OFF SONY VPH1001Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: BLUE AND RED CONVERGENCE OFF SONY VPH1001Q Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The convergence on my Sony VPH1001Q blue and red CRT's are way off. I tried using the control panel to adjust them but it did not work. Is there a way to manually adjust the CRT's or Lens? I don't have any spacers for the crt's, not sure if that is required or not. Thank you very much!

Last edited by piechest on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, how is the calibration off? What is the 'control' panel? did you download and follow the manual off the main site? Don't just dive into the set without knowing what you're doing.
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i got my definitions mixed up. I'm having issues with convergence. I can't seem to line up the blue and red CRT's with the green. I have the install and user manual which i have become quite familiarized with. What i meant is the centering adjustment for rcent and bcent on the control panel. I have used this setting and still can't get the colours aligned. So i was wondering what procedure is needed to manually converge the red and blue crt's to the green.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piechest wrote:
Sorry, i got my definitions mixed up. I'm having issues with convergence. I can't seem to line up the blue and red CRT's with the green. I have the install and user manual which i have become quite familiarized with. What i meant is the centering adjustment for rcent and bcent on the control panel. I have used this setting and still can't get the colours aligned. So i was wondering what procedure is needed to manually converge the red and blue crt's to the green.

Check your throw distance. ( The distance from your projector to the screen. ) You need to be within a certain range. Too close or too far and you won't have enough adjustment range on your Bcent and Rcent controls to align things.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't align the tubes L-R, or up and down?

The green is your reference, make sure that the green raster is centered. Usually.. depending on your screen size, the L-R and up and down controls on the convergence board do have enough range. what screen width are you trying to project?
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it from a few different throw distances suggested in the manual but I'm still having the same issue. The bcent and rcent are both maxed out and there is about a 6 inch distance vertically and horizontally from the green (for both blue and red). The projector is level on a stand (not ceiling mounted) Any other ideas? Thank you
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the convergence connectors are in the right positions? If so, you may need to adjust the yoke rings that are on the tube neck, to center the raster to get it within range of the trimpots on the PC board.

See those gray rings towards the back of each tube that are sealed in place with silicone? One of those sets of rings will shift the image position, and should bring the R and B into place.

BTW, if you can put the R over the B image in the middle, then maybe just adjust the green rings to bring it over top of the R and B.
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure where the convergence connectors are located and what I should be looking for. I can post a picture of the current set up. Thank you!

ls 1.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ls 1.jpg
 Filesize:  709.15 KB
 Downloaded:  335 Time(s)

rs 1.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  rs 1.jpg
 Filesize:  603.56 KB
 Downloaded:  348 Time(s)

Overview 1.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Overview 1.jpg
 Filesize:  610.74 KB
 Downloaded:  339 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that model of set uses those blue switches above and below the convergence controls to do the image changing vertically. are you sure all those switches are properly set? I remember if at least one isn't in the right position, convergence is impossible. Check the manual to make sure they are set correctly, and if so, post back and I'll walk you through it.

With the tube pix that you posted over at avs, post those here as well pls.
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the switches are set correctly. I adjusted the grey rings and it is almost all lined up now. I'll post pictures to make sure everything looks ok. Can't thank you enough!

Red tube.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Red tube.jpg
 Filesize:  720.4 KB
 Downloaded:  292 Time(s)

Green tube.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Green tube.jpg
 Filesize:  698.45 KB
 Downloaded:  340 Time(s)

Blue tube.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Blue tube.jpg
 Filesize:  658.91 KB
 Downloaded:  350 Time(s)

Overview.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Overview.jpg
 Filesize:  708.94 KB
 Downloaded:  386 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Post a pix of the final crosshatch pattern. What I've found useful if you have one corner off, is set all of those trimpots to 50%, then start with the green. It's amazing how much more you can dial stuff in when you start all pots from a neutral position.
piechest

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice!! I still have a bit more tuning up to do, so I'll definitely try it! I didn't get a picture of it on the projector screen yet but it's getting there. I noticed that one end could be aligned and the other off a bit. Is there any fix for this? I ended up leveling the legs which worked quite well, but it would be nice to have a little more accuracy. Thanks again for all of the help today Curt! Wouldn't have been able to do this without it

GEDC0100.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GEDC0100.JPG
 Filesize:  438.18 KB
 Downloaded:  356 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're getting closer. Smile

Is that image out of focus on the top or is that your camera? Also, the test pattern looks tinted green. If the top is out of focus, check for dirt between the tubes and lenses. I may be mistaken, but the 1001 may have the cheap TAC lenses on them. You'd be better off spending $100 incl shipping for a set of HD6/HD144 lenses. The fan on the front tends to dump dirt and dust between the tubes and the lenses. Pull the whole lens frame assembly off, and you can see if they're dirty. You might also have fungus in the tube cooling fluid. Very common on those 1000 series Sonys. Post a pix of the tube faces with the lenses off.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if the blue switches are set wrong youll never get it to line up. The R and B CENT should be in their mid settings, it should all line up perfectly with the pots under the top cover. The CENT adjustments are the single point digital convergence basically the same as you see on most rear projection TVs that had single point convergence. Unlike the much older 1000, the 1001 has alot of digital adjustments where as the 1000 ( and the 1030,1031,1042 and whatever else they had didnt have any digital anything )

I have two of these, i tried HD-6 lenses on there instead of the TAC-4 lenses and it made no real difference. It made a big difference when i put the TAC-4s on my 9PG though, the HD-6 blew them away.

The 1001 is about the same as the 1044 but without the RGB input, so even with new tubes its not really sharp enough to need anything more than TAC-4s. I ran one of mine for many years at a near zero angle and with 3-5mm of unused phosphor on all three tubes, it still works perfectly well. Apart from being low resolution and having no RGB input, they are incredibly reliable sets and extremely easy to set up quickly. You can plonk it on the bench and have the convergence as good as it gets it about 10-15 minutes.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: