Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco Graphics 808s turns on then shuts off/reboots SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Barco Graphics 808s turns on then shuts off/reboots SOLVED Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I finished the mount for the new to me from Tom.W BG808s and it powered up and showed a picture but it was upside down so I went thru the manual and found the settings to flip the screen so I pulled the two cards to access the scan switches and set them for ceiling front and reinstalled the two cards and powered it up and now it turns on for maybe a minute or so then the error light turns on and it shuts off/restarts and shows the error light again and shuts off and stays off. I reseated the cards no change. I was able to measure the +17 volts and it was +17.6 so I adjusted it to +17 and no change.

This BG808s is replacing my still working great for 10+ years BD801s, so I pulled the SMPS and they both have the same part #R7621705 can I swap cards?

I also have a BG801s that was working but will no longer converge but does turn on and show a picture, I could check those cards.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by modelaratrod on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking @ the ser nr the SMPS card does not match the ser nr on all the other cards so it has been replaced, when I look @ the cross ref exel doc it shows R7621706 for the SMPS card for a BG808s iris 2 120v. It would seem this has the wrong SMPS card in it?

Here's the info on the tag on the rear of the BG808s

manufacture April 1997
chassis 56 graphics 808s + iris2
art. nr R9000907
ser nr 1104685
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelaratrod wrote:
Looking @ the ser nr the SMPS card does not match the ser nr on all the other cards so it has been replaced, when I look @ the cross ref exel doc it shows R7621706 for the SMPS card for a BG808s iris 2 120v. It would seem this has the wrong SMPS card in it?

Here's the info on the tag on the rear of the BG808s

manufacture April 1997
chassis 56 graphics 808s + iris2
art. nr R9000907
ser nr 1104685

Barco part numbers start with R76XXXX. The SMPS is the right one for the BG808s. The most likely problem is that you have not re-seated the boards properly or you have bent a pin. Remove the two boards, confirm that you have made the right switch changes for ceiling mount, check the connectors of each card for bent pins and correct that issue if there are bent pins and finally make sure that the cards are seated and locked down properly.
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it shuts down the red err led on the processor stay lit.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say the set comes on for a minute. Does it show a pix? If not, check the SF light on the g2 board. that would indicate a problem with one of the scan reversal switches. try putting it back to ceiling mount, and see if the image comes up and if the set stays on.

The 7621705 and 1706 will interchange, but due to the different filament draw of the G808s tubes, the picture will be dim, but it will work.

I don't think the SMPS is the problem. Look to what you did before it stopped working, and you'll most likely find your issue. As Km says, you may also have bent a pin or two on the modules that you pulled out.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say the set comes on for a minute. Does it show a pix? If not, check the SF light on the g2 board. that would indicate a problem with one of the scan reversal switches. try putting it back to ceiling mount, and see if the image comes up and if the set stays on.

The 7621705 and 1706 will interchange, but due to the different filament draw of the G808s tubes, the picture will be dim, but it will work.

I don't think the SMPS is the problem. Look to what you did before it stopped working, and you'll most likely find your issue. As Km says, you may also have bent a pin or two on the modules that you pulled out.
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bent pins, it appears to have been a dirty scan switch as I called Tom and he suggested cleaning them and possibly using some tape to hold them in position, I blew them out with some compressed air the some precision cleaner and air again reinstalled the cards and now it's staying on. Curt I would really like to get the correct SMPS do you have a 7621706?

Thanks for all the help. Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent my last one out on loan last week, but will be getting it back sometime in August. Shoot me an email at curtpalme at shaw.ca and I'll let you know when I get it back.

Cheers!
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the exel cross reference doc it shows under the 7621706 an R7690205 Will this one work?
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this post from Curt "Oh wait, yes, there's a filament mod that you need to do. The 7621705 has a couple of current limiting resistors in the filament supply line, but short those out, and that will bring the filament back up to 6.3 volts that the tubes need. Otherwise the tubes will sit at 5.5 volts, and the pix will be a bit dim. "

Could I get the info on this mod?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: