Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 808G: boost light ouput?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiddink

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Barco 808G: boost light ouput? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

This weekend I tested the following setup:
- connected an iPad to Barco 808G, using HD Fury for digital conversion and projected on a 4mts wide screen outside in the open air during the night to watch a soccer game from the World Championships in Brasil. The result was quite nice. However, I felt that the projected image was far more darker than what was seen on the iPad.

Is there a way to boost to light output on the Barco 808G to get a brighter image? Could it help to give some more power to the HD Fury? Or comes the problem from the incoming signal from the iPad?

Could you give me some insights on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

-brt
hiddink

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

After some more reading on this, I think my problem with the light output has to do with gamma boosting, or better, the lack of it. There are several options for the Barco 808S to add Gamma boosting but I found this brand new product which I am going to try (HD Fury related):
http://www.hdfury.eu/en/home/15-nano-gx.html

Seems to have all the features of HD Fury 1 and more, including auto syncing and gamma boosting...

I'll test it and let you know...

Thanks and regards,
-brt
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddink wrote:
After some more reading on this, I think my problem with the light output has to do with gamma boosting, or better, the lack of it.

maybe, if by too dark you mean the portion of the picture that are supposed ot be dark are like giant ink blobs with no detail then that's gamma boost.
If the overall image is just not bright enough then your screen is too big.

hiddink wrote:
Seems to have all the features of HD Fury 1 and more, including auto syncing and gamma boosting...

I'll test it and let you know...

Thanks and regards,
-brt
they really don't tell you if it comes with a power supply and I know the HD fury will not drive a really long RGB cable. You can also add a Gamma X booster to your existing Fury and it comes with a power supply to power everything adequately.

http://www.curtpalme.com/GammaX.shtm
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the projector for the job. A 13 foot screen width is a big ask for this machine even in a dark room.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly should not compare light output from a 10.5" screen with screen greater that 156". When you consider that the surface area of each of your tubes is considerably smaller than your iPad the projector does really well.
hiddink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your replies...The specs of the Barco 808 say that it could project up to 6x4.5m...I understand that projecting 1x0.75mts is not the same as projecting 4x3mt in terms of light output but, if configured right and working with the right hardware, why could this machine not project a decent image for 6x4.5mts if the specs say so?

Thanks again!

Regards,
-brt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a higher gain screen, or a brighter projector.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddink wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies...The specs of the Barco 808 say that it could project up to 6x4.5m...I understand that projecting 1x0.75mts is not the same as projecting 4x3mt in terms of light output but, if configured right and working with the right hardware, why could this machine not project a decent image for 6x4.5mts if the specs say so?

Thanks again!

Regards,
-brt

Read those specs again, they dont say anywhere that it will produce a decent image on that size screen, they say that is max size.

The light output doesnt change because you use a bigger screen, and the rating in lumens is a constant. As the screen surface area increases, the lux level with decrease.

You have seen for yourself that those specs are 100% correct in that the machine can project an image that large, but no where in any specs does it suggest the image will look very good.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: