Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Flying speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Flying speakers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Someone wrote once ( I for the life of me cant remember who) that "flying" speakers kills bass. Did they (or you) mean that it killed bass in the room overall ? or just in the speakers that were hung ? I have 2 pair of surrounds that are hung and they sound fine to me. Perhaps they are losing bass and its just harder to tell because of the subs, I cant be sure. I was considering taking the first set down and making them floorstanding again although it would be a pain with the way my room is set up. If its not going to alter the surround effect a great deal I would prefer to leave them hanging. So what do you guys think ? Just curious.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave them hanging. The base that the surround speakers use should be sent the the subs anyway.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran stereo through their amp and although the bass is not as low, there is still plenty of bass.
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying speakers Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
Someone wrote once ( I for the life of me cant remember who) that "flying" speakers kills bass. Did they (or you) mean that it killed bass in the room overall ? or just in the speakers that were hung ? I have 2 pair of surrounds that are hung and they sound fine to me. Perhaps they are losing bass and its just harder to tell because of the subs, I cant be sure. I was considering taking the first set down and making them floorstanding again although it would be a pain with the way my room is set up. If its not going to alter the surround effect a great deal I would prefer to leave them hanging. So what do you guys think ? Just curious.

I think it was me that you remember saying that "flying speakers destroys bass response"
I suspect that the reason is that on long wavelengths our ears get that first significant reflection (from the floor) in a way that we just can't tell the difference so it gets added to the original signal straight from the speaker. When you fly a speaker,you lose that effect. The bass is still there but our perception is that it is not.

No point being pessimistic; it probably would't work anyway.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surrounds shouldn't be carrying any significant bass. Flying them shouldn't be an issue at all and shouldn't affect the bass response of the room. The bass should be going to a subwoofer on the floor.

The placement of a subwoofer can change the bass response of the room significantly. Bass wavelengths are very long. Placing the sub near a wall means the long wavelengths coming out the back of the sub can reflect off the wall and combine with / reinforce the wavelengths coming out of the front of the speaker. (Higher freqs have short wavelengths so they're more likely to cancel out if you have reflections.) Placing a sub in the corner will really boost the bass response, because you get reflections from 2 walls and the floor.

If you flew a sub -- which I wouldn't recommend -- the same rules apply. Locate the (flying) sub near walls and it will reinforce the bass.

But there's no reason to fly a sub. For one thing, they're damn heavy. For another, your ears can't locate bass very well. There's no reason to fly it if it sounds just as good sitting on the floor, practically anywhere along any wall.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other guys here as I have my rear surround speakers(7.1 setup) flying and the bass is best sent to the sub
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: