Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I finally got a blanking "system" that works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: I finally got a blanking "system" that works. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been working on and off for awhile now on a blanking system. I really liked craigs but it was out of my budget for awhile so I was trying to do it on the cheap. I finally came to the conclusion that the only way to make it work properly was with a balanced counterweight. It works like a charm and my wife loves the way the picture "pops" as she puts it. If you ever need a good stiff lightweight material try FLORALCRAFT foam. This stuff works great. To be honest though once I figured out the counterweight the weight wouldn't of mattered and I probably could have used a board. I have 2 feet of space behind my screen that helped a lot.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics Jeff.

And it's "masking" not "blanking." Blanking is done electronically in the projector.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its masking. Sorry I blanked. There really is not much to see, 8 pulleys, 4 cords, 2 plastic jugs with a quart of water in them. I started with a gallon of water and just kept pouring it out until it was balanced. I have to manually pull them up and down kinda like a blind but it works good.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we need pics. Wink

It is always interesting to see a different solution to a problem.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will work on that, seems kinda pointless but OK. A drawing would show it better.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Post some pics Jeff.

And it's "masking" not "blanking." Blanking is done electronically in the projector.

craigr

Craig's snappy response would confirm Spanky's notion that he's got a script running that notifies him of when Jeff posts. Craig needs to add "Guardian to Jeff" on his signature line Razz

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Craig's snappy response would confirm Spanky's notion that he's got a script running that notifies him of when Jeff posts. Craig needs to add "Guardian to Jeff" on his signature line Razz

He's just looking' out for his customers, yo! Wink

I'd like to see photos, too. A relatively inexpensive masking system is definitely interesting. I know Craig did something similar. I don't have room in this house, but I want to do a scope screen in the next house, and masking will definitely be part of it. Side masking is probably a little trickier, though.

Regardless, I want to do motorized. I can handle the electronic/control/automation part of it - that part's easy for me. It's the mechanization that will be tricky, so I want to see all the DIY masking I can.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

SC

LOL that is true.

I was laughing last night thinking about it. I wonder if the robot from Lost in Space comes on Craig's screen with "Danger, Danger Craig Rounds. Dr. Smith (I mean Jeff) is messing with his CIR90!" Twisted Evil Mr. Green Laughing
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

I'd like to see photos, too. A relatively inexpensive masking system is definitely interesting. I know Craig did something similar. I don't have room in this house, but I want to do a scope screen in the next house, and masking will definitely be part of it. Side masking is probably a little trickier, though.

Regardless, I want to do motorized. I can handle the electronic/control/automation part of it - that part's easy for me. It's the mechanization that will be tricky, so I want to see all the DIY masking I can.

SC

Craig is the one who turned me onto AVOutlet.com and they (Ken) are awesome. Helped me identify the exact Somfy parts I needed for my Stewart Electrimask rehab project last Summer. Most anything you would need part wise (motors, rollers, remotes, etc.) can be found there. The only exception is the masking material itself.

I found that the part prices for motors, rollers, etc. can vary considerably even though the differences appear on the surface to be relatively minimal. I'd reach out to Ken as I'm sure he could help you pick the right parts for such a project.

Once you have masking, you'll never be able to go back to normal viewing Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I kinda felt that craig was poking fun at me for mixing up blanking and masking. I know he knew what I meant, not sure if everyone else did though, its cleared up now for sure. I took some pics but there is really nothing to see, its all covered in black velvet in front and you cant see anything, in back its just 4 small pulleys hanging on S hooks from the ceiling with plastic jugs with some water in them hanging from parachute cord.
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can see this.

pulleys.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.39 KB
 Viewed:  13953 Time(s)

pulleys.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
We were just having some fun.

In the pic, is the back of the screen on the left? Can you post a larger or higher res photo.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Just popped in for a second after we've been all day at a world cup party, so I've had a few...

Want to say that I wasn't even poking fun, just correcting an obvious typo. I know I can be kind of blunt sometimes which may come off offensive, but I don't mean it that way. I generally just try to be concise. I would work on it some, if I cared anymore Embarassed

But seriously I am interested in what you created. I always have clients looking for DYI answers for masking and every idea helps me to give them options. If you think a drawing would provide more detail I would like to see it.

Thanks,

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky, Yes the back of the screen is on the left. I tried to post a better pic but I don't have the software to compress it correctly. I will attempt to make a drawing and post it. It took a week to finally come up with one inch floralcraft foam, it is sold at Jo Ann Fabrics, it is light and rigid. Once I figured out to use a counterweight though the weight really wouldn't have been an issue. My screen is homemade. First it was the painted wall on the right side of the pic. Then it was a canvas stretched over a 2X4 frame and painted with screenpaint. Finally I put screen material I bought on ebay over the top of that. It is a huge screen masked off with black velvet. If I had known I would have made it much smaller. But right now the extra size made it easier to install the masking, 2X4's are easy to work with. Any mistakes are easily hid by black velvet. The room behind the screen is what allows it to work though, so easy to adjust the weight to get the balance correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: