Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to attach velvet fabric to screen wall

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: How to attach velvet fabric to screen wall Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The screen wall in my theater is painted white and rather than paint it black I would like to attach a black velvet fabric to it. What options do I have besides building panels and/or using a staple gun?

I need somthing that is reversable, was thinking of using a spray adhesive. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Justin
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are self adhesive velvets out there. Google is your friend, i thought that i had it bookmarked, but apparently i don't.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang the velvet from rods?
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I came to the conclusion last night that either I hang it from a current rod or build fabric panels. Using a current rod is probably going to be the quickest and least expensive way to achieve this.

I was already planning to have motorized curtains, so I'll just need a second set of rods for the velvet.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get 1/8" hardboard and just cut out basic panels and then use some 3M spray adhesive to put the velvet on them. That way the velvet edge will be straight and solid...I wouldn't want the curtain rod solution because it would likely sway a bit or look a bit loose for my tastes.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any adhesive used on drywall will wreck the drywall when/if you remove it. Try screwing in some furring strips where you want the fabric then staple the fabric to the strips. That way if you want to remove the fabric later all you have to do is fill in the little screw holes in the drywall.

The assumption is you screw into your ceiling joists or use the proper sized anchors.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dturco. I'm going to use the furring strips with a combination of staples and industrial strength velcro since I need access to the screen wall in certain locations.
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I have seen it, but decorators years ago used to hang fabrics on walls just like wallpaper by using wallpaper paste.

Bob
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered that but I need something that is removable; since the screen wall contains a window. If I glue Velcro strips to the velvet I can then make removable sections. I figure the furring strips will be the least invasive method.
StudioJim

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Any adhesive used on drywall will wreck the drywall when/if you remove it. Try screwing in some furring strips where you want the fabric then staple the fabric to the strips. That way if you want to remove the fabric later all you have to do is fill in the little screw holes in the drywall.

The assumption is you screw into your ceiling joists or use the proper sized anchors.

Thanks for this. I was wanting to do something similar in my home theater and I think this solution will do the trick. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again.

---
The home theater construction project never ends! Any advice on seating would be appreciated. I know http://www.familyleisure.com/Home-Theater-Seats sells them. Any other ideas?

Last edited by StudioJim on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LandoM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to cover the staples on the furring strips? You could put some moulding or furring strips over the furring strips under the velvet and have them screwed in. It would create a framed look on the wall. The one thing I hate about glueing is trying to keep the fabric from wrinkling or the glue coming through. I know I've seen some fabrics with a foam backing that would be easier to glue as well as preventing wrinkles but I don't know if there is a velvet fabric one.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LandoM wrote:
How are you going to cover the staples on the furring strips? You could put some moulding or furring strips over the furring strips under the velvet and have them screwed in. It would create a framed look on the wall. The one thing I hate about glueing is trying to keep the fabric from wrinkling or the glue coming through. I know I've seen some fabrics with a foam backing that would be easier to glue as well as preventing wrinkles but I don't know if there is a velvet fabric one.

I only stapled the along the top and it's impossible to see. I let it hang down naturally and left enough length at the bottom so I can conceal the speaker wires.
MarkLB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great device! I found some more information on this website: http://www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/velvet-fabric-2128.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: