Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is JVCs X700R with DI a CRT killer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Is JVCs X700R with DI a CRT killer? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
LOL, now that I have your attention. Laughing

It looks like the new JVCs with DI are producing CRT like on/off contrast ratios. Kris Deering has his review up.
Quote:
Every year, JVC improves the on/off contrast performance of their projectors, and once you become accustomed to the black levels and contrast with dark material, it’s hard to settle for anything else. And with this year’s model, JVC has reached a completely new level of performance in this regard. The new Intelligent Aperture dynamic iris takes the projector’s contrast to a place I’ve never seen from any display, short of an OLED flat-panel display or Dolby’s infinite black prototype LED flat panel. The DLA-X700R’s black levels were so dark that in direct comparisons with my reference DLA-X75R from last year, they made the DLA-X75R’s blacks seem more like what I would expect from a comparison with a first-generation DLP projector. What looked like rich black when viewed on its own now looked like medium gray. Our eyes are great optical comparators, so the difference may not prove as massive without a direct comparison, but it was impressive to see just how much difference there was. I almost thought something was wrong with my DLA-X75R—until a check of all my settings confirmed what I was seeing.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-dla-x700r-3d-d-ila-projector

Chris Heinonen has his up.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/projectors/projectors-reviews/jvc-dla-x700r-projector.html

Art has his up as well.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs4910-and-dla-rs49-projector-review/
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds pretty impressive. Now that I am getting comfortable with my JVC RS1 I would like to see what the new ones can do. The only problem I have with my digital is the dynamic range and lack of deep black. So I am very curious to see what the newest generation can offer.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even JVC X500 is said, after 3 hours of calibration from Gorm Sørensen, to have blacks that matches the outside of the screen frame. The best image they have ever seen .. It's in Swedish but you could translate it or find your own test. But X700 may not differ so much from X500 from reading that review.

http://www.ljudochbild.se/test/jvc-dla-x500r
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen them myself, so I can only go off of what others have said. With that being stated, I trust Kris's opinion.

It sucks that I didn't get to see them at Cedia last year, but I will see what JVC has in store for this year. Hopefully the rumored LED/Laser will be unveiled.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RS56 which is a year older model than this X700 / RS57, and I have to say that I'm already very impressed - including the black levels. I have absolutely no qualms at all with the black levels on my RS56 without DI so I can only imagine how much better things can get.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
tanwn

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So kal can you confirm that it can now do fade to black as good as crt? CRT is now history?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen or used the new X700 (RS57) so I can't comment on its black level.

For what it's worth, I find the black level on my RS56 very good - the slightly elevated black level is not something I notice at all compared to my previous CRT projector. In fact, I find it does closer to black better (as I mentioned here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973&start=0) so I actually prefer how it handles black (or near black) compared to what I had before.

Kal

thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6500$ on Ebay for a X700 right now. Sounds like a steal to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS57-4K-3D-1080P-THX-Home-Theater-PROJECTOR-DLA-X700R-/370974634439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565fcfb1c7
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS57-4K-3D-1080P-THX-Home-Theater-PROJECTOR-DLA-X700R-/370974634439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565fcfb1c7

Go grab it.. Lets know how you like it.. Wink
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

Go grab it.. Lets know if you like it.. Wink

I think I would like it actually, but the money just isn't there, but someone else might go for it. You should sell your JVC, and some other stuff, to finance a Barco and do everybody a favour and just set the record straight with the whole bandwidth issue. I really want to know how that would pan out.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

I think I would like it actually, but the money just isn't there, but someone else might go for it. You should sell your JVC, and some other stuff, to finance a Barco and do everybody a favour and just set the record straight with the whole bandwidth issue. I really want to know how that would pan out.

After my G90 adventure, i think ill go digital again. Laughing
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

With you that is something one could expect. Smile You are going to to end up with a museum there soon with all the pj you have.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

With you that is something one could expect. Smile

And a few days later ill buy a boat and get me a new hobby.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

Is it? $6.5K street price for an $8K MSRP projector sounds about right. I paid about that (slightly less) for my RS56 and it came from a reputable brick & mortar store, not some ebay seller.

Kal

thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

Is it? $6.5K street price for an $8K MSRP projector sounds about right. I paid about that (slightly less) for my RS56 and it came from a reputable brick & mortar store, not some ebay seller.

Kal

Ok, maybe not so cheap as I first thought then. I even found 2 cheaper once as well on Ebay as I had another look just now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS57U-D-ILA-Digital-Home-Theater-Projector-1080P-HDMI-/221403976910?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item338cb494ce

Btw, the going rate in Sweden, as we speak, is 69990 SEK or 10000 $. Even with 25 % VAT, with the above mentioned, it's about 2350 $ cheaper than Sweden. But I don't think many are bought here in Sweden, in fact is a common thing to buy them in Germany or US.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS4910 is the hot buy over at AVS. It is the cheapest model with a DI. I believe the price is around $3800. Not sure if you guys in Europe can buy from AVS though.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i should take a look at the latest models.......

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official X700 and X500 threads on AVS are very interesting to read from time to time. Sometimes you get your hopes up, sometimes it takes you down a notch (X500). But there is a guy who use to have NEC XG, I think, who makes very honest and down to earth statements about his new toy. I think it's a X500, and that it's NOT as dark as CRT, but very close with CI. Either way, it doesn't concern me at all, as I would have to sell everything I own to get a X700 which would be my choice. There's even a guy with X900.. Smile

Anyhow, all that reading, made me all to aware of how much I need curtains to block out any sort of light, and that they should be black. There's a hell of a lot to be gained with black felt surrounding the screen and a few feet backwards from screen on the floor. I only have simple shades, and even in the middle of the night in the winter there is still some light coming in, so I have a lot gain on my end as well.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
The official X700 and X500 threads on AVS are very interesting to read from time to time. Sometimes you get your hopes up, sometimes it takes you down a notch (X500). But there is a guy who use to have NEC XG, I think, who makes very honest and down to earth statements about his new toy. I think it's a X500, and that it's NOT as dark as CRT, but very close with CI. Either way, it doesn't concern me at all, as I would have to sell everything I own to get a X700 which would be my choice. There's even a guy with X900.. Smile

Anyhow, all that reading, made me all to aware of how much I need curtains to block out any sort of light, and that they should be black. There's a hell of a lot to be gained with black felt surrounding the screen and a few feet backwards from screen on the floor. I only have simple shades, and even in the middle of the night in the winter there is still some light coming in, so I have a lot gain on my end as well.

Go get one.. Sell your Marquee to me... Wink
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

Go get one.. Sell your Marquee to me... Wink

I might put out an ad when it's finished just to see if anyone is interested in it. But I think I'm the last living Swedish CRT fanatic so it dies with me. Last time I made a count I was about 4000 $ in the hole. In fact that's what I want for it. No one would pay that so I'm stuck with CRT for a very long time. YOU should sell your JVC, to get top dollar, and get a new JVC. Now, that's a good idea! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: