Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Bottlehead Home Theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc B.

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Bottlehead Home Theater Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi folks,

I acquired a G70 from Curt this winter as part of a refurb of my 10 year old dedicated HT. Previous proj was a Dwin TV3. I was recently asked to take some pics of the setup so I thought I would add them to the database here for those looking for set up ideas for a reasonably priced system that delivers a high quality end result.

The room is small, about 11' x 14'. Front wall and ceiling are painted flat black, other walls a dark gray suede texture, and trim is a fairly dark brown. Windows have been treated with panels composed of 1"x2" frames filled with 1" thick Bonded Logic cotton batting and felt weather stripping around the edges to block light. Black curtains hang over the paneled windows. A black patterned rug is on the maple floor. Furniture is a couple of black Ikea Poang chairs with swivel bases and ottomans. A single track light with a remote dimmer lights the room when needed and there are theater style night lights in the AC outlets near the seating area

The screen is 96" diag 16:9, Wilsonart Designer white laminate with a black velvet covered frame. Top and bottom masks are strips of styrofoam insulating panels covered with black velvet and suspended from a pulley system to allow easy manual adjustment. Side masks are simply black curtains on short rods with fishing weights on the inside bottom corner to make the curtain hang as vertically straight as possible.

The speakers are all from Blumenstein Audio - Orcas and Dungeness subs for the fronts, an Orca center channel for the center, a BUF sub for the effects channel, and more Orcas for the surrounds.

Amps are all our own Bottlehead products (natch!) - A Stereomour runs the fronts, and our S.E.X. amp runs the surrounds and the center channel.

The G70 has a Moome HDMI card. I'm using an Oppo BDP-103D as source and also have a Mac Mini running into the Oppo rear HDMI jack for streaming Amazon.

The room makes a very cozy little theater for my wife and I and we can squeeze a couple of guests in when necessary. Loving that G70!

HTlo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  683.96 KB
 Viewed:  10518 Time(s)

HTlo.jpg

HT2lo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.46 KB

HT2lo.jpg

HT3lo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.86 KB

HT3lo.jpg

bottlehead.com
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah !
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Wall side mounting speaker shelves!!!

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to my room dimensions; you don't need a stadium for a big time HT experience. You must be thrilled with the g70 as it's a big step up from the dwin.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image thrills me, installation thrilled me not so much. Reinforced my ceiling and installed 10,000lb rated lifting rings to lift the G70 in place with a comealong in the attic. After we got the projector wrestled onto the mount I realized I couldn't get the comealong's hook off of the projector's lifting ring. So it's still up there. I tell everyone it's so we can lower the projector to change the oil filter and the spark plugs. I also put in some new fans that did a nice job of lowering the noise floor. Much more quiet than the old Dwin with it's five roaring fans.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.56 KB
 Viewed:  10472 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.39 KB
 Viewed:  10472 Time(s)

image.jpg

bottlehead.com
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I spy Fostex full rangers in the LCR and surround speakers, correct? Bet those have very nice dialog clarity (true point source, no crossovers).

Great installation for the projector hoist. What are the other cargo straps for?

Doc B.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the drivers are Fe83s. I use an line level baffle step corrector we make called The Fix on the mains, which helps even out the lower midrange and upper bass for music content as well as bringing up the slightly rolled treble. Dialogue from the center is indeed very clear. I'm quite happy with the sound.

The cargo straps had not come down from my first attempt to raise the projector when that photo was taken. It became pretty obvious three of us were not going to power lift the thing the last foot or so where the straps had a really steep angle on them, so I went to plan B with the comealong. We feel quite safe sitting under it, but now I do think about how badly I need to insulate that attic.

bottlehead.com
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc B. wrote:
Yes the drivers are Fe83s. I use an line level baffle step corrector we make called The Fix on the mains, which helps even out the lower midrange and upper bass for music content as well as bringing up the slightly rolled treble. Dialogue from the center is indeed very clear. I'm quite happy with the sound.

The cargo straps had not come down from my first attempt to raise the projector when that photo was taken. It became pretty obvious three of us were not going to power lift the thing the last foot or so where the straps had a really steep angle on them, so I went to plan B with the comealong. We feel quite safe sitting under it, but now I do think about how badly I need to insulate that attic.

Nice. Yes, I would assume some response shaping for diffraction loss and overall eq, but those are excellent sounding drivers, perfect for a small home theater.

Straps: Ah! Makes sense. My approach has typically been to use a 5:1 pulley set up with a heavy rope, with half the pulleys in a ceiling installed bracket and half on the set's bracket. The come-along is a good option, but I've heard not as trustworthy as it should be.

Steve

Doc B.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they really worked out well for this application. The only thing you need to be careful of with the Fe83 is the limited excursion. Crossing them over fairly high to the subwoofers helps a lot, and I use 4 watt amps with them. With plate amps on the subs the system gets plenty loud enough to register complaints. Being a music industry guy they work well for my emphasis of musicality over whiz bang. The second choice would have been my bud Andrew Jones' Pioneer signature HT speaker setup. That is an amazing system for $500. Unfortunately it tends to get packaged with inexpensive Pioneer receivers which in my opinion can't reveal the speakers' true potential.

Re comealong trustworthiness, I've had that one for maybe 20 years and it never asked to borrow money or flirted with my wife. But it has dragged a 3300 lb. Mercedes with seized brakes onto a trailer and straightened a bumper or two. Lifting the 175lb. projector was pretty smooth and easy. Modifying the mounting bracket with the lifting ring and putting all that junk in the attic was the hard part.

bottlehead.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: