Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fairly new to home theater, got some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD1963

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Fairly new to home theater, got some questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all,
I just recently found this forum, and it seems to be a good source of info, I have done the home theater PC thing for a while, but, I am moving towards doing it a bit better now. For some time I have just done Handbreak/AutoGK, and a little VDubmod. I have a sizable DVD library and getting bigger on the bluray side.

So far, I have a server, that I will be expanding the data store on, and a desktop PC with a bit of horsepower, so if the software recommended to do what I want is CPU heavy (or GPU via CUDA, as my desktop does well there as well), I am fine with that.

Currently, I am using XBMC for my theater playback software, and I am liking the functionality. I previously used Windows Media Center, and 6 years ago it did the job, but very much not any more.

What I am trying to do:
Overall, make my physical media library all digital.
I want to be able to rip the DVD and Bluray in their entirety onto my RAID array.
I want to be able to access it through XBMC and full access to special features, commentaries, etc.

So what I need it a software solution that will rip the disks completely, retain all of the functionality, so I can use a remote (which XBMC supports) and basically have a virtual disk.

Also, what file format would this need to be in to do this?

Thanks for all the help, sorry if I am rather noobish, but I am learning Smile

Thanks all!

D
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a little late, but I thought I'd reply anyways.

I've been doing this for a while, having been through many different configurations and setups. I'm a pc guy and have been for a long time. Once I got into CRT and built a theater room, I got more into audio and video. I realized a few things over time;

I want the best picture and audio quality possible for my source material. For instance, maybe your display can only do 720p. Some day you'll have a better display and you don't want to have to go through and redo all your source. Get it as good as possible now to save yourself time later.

I don't care about special features, extras, menus, etc. I want to start a movie and have it just play. I want a movie presentation, not a dvd or bluray presentation.

Whatever format I chose needed to be modular. I'm not going to go through and re-encode everything later. The server may change, the storage media may change and that's fine, but the files shouldn't be re-encoded. I want "lossless" audio/video quality!

I want the media to be available to more than one device.

I want a GUI with a ton of configurable features that looks good projected and is HD and that is friendly for my family to use. It also needs to have parental controls.

So, after years of changing things up, this is what I have;

1. HTPC (windows 7) connected to the projector using Media Portal. It accesses the files over the network on the media server. Media Portal has a great user base and an active development base. It has all the features I need. For movies I highly recommend you enable the "Moving Pictures" plugin. For TV shows, the TV Series plugin is great. Other than that my setup is pretty default.

2. The media server is another pc (windows 7) with a PERC5 hardware raid card. It runs Serviio to host the files to DLNA devices in the house. The HTPC accesses windows shares to get to the files it needs. I can turn it on remotely (wake on lan) and download shows, whatever.

3. All video files (tv and movies) are in the MKV format. For dvd's or blurays I create the mkv files with MakeMKV, a free program. It does no re-encoding. It takes the direct audio/video/subtitle streams and puts them into the mkv container file (called a remux). So, I have the highest quality stream possible. I'm sure you can re-encode the files to a smaller file and perhaps you can't tell the different. On a large screen however it makes a difference. Also, what if years down the road I upgrade to a better projector and then the defects are noticeable? Like I said, use the highest quality format available to you RIGHT NOW! Media Portal will also handle iso files, so if you want to keep menus and features intact you can do that. It'll automount iso's using daemon tools and with ANYdvdHD you can decrypt dvd's and blurays on the fly. For my requirements, makemkv is great though.

4. Audio files are in the flac format. I can rip my own cd's with EAC (exact audio copy). Lots of tutorials on the web. I ran into that problem where I encoded everything as mp3's, only to find out years later when I upgraded equipment they suddenly sounded terrible. Just go all out the first time and save yourself the trouble!

I'm sure I didn't think of everything. Ask questions and enjoy the learning adventure. Smile

Last edited by akajester on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Media Portal installs the LAV audio/video codecs that can pretty much handle anything you throw at it. For most users, no need to install any other codecs then.
Kurt12

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I read your post giving advice to a new HT enthusiast and it was very informative. I will be attending AXPONA this weekend and was wondering if there are any exhipitors I should check out to build a home theater system the right way. Also, are you involved in any clubs that have meetings. I would like to get some sound advice from enthusiasts rather than rely on some salesman that is just trying to make a sale.

Thank You
Kurt12
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt12 wrote:
I read your post giving advice to a new HT enthusiast and it was very informative. I will be attending AXPONA this weekend and was wondering if there are any exhipitors I should check out to build a home theater system the right way. Also, are you involved in any clubs that have meetings. I would like to get some sound advice from enthusiasts rather than rely on some salesman that is just trying to make a sale.

AXPONA is very hi-fi (read, "two-channel") oriented. There will probably be a couple of exhibitors there with high-resolution audio demos (and possibly some surround), but Seaton Sound will probably be the only demos truly oriented toward "home theater". His demo will likely be very impressive and should give you an idea of what's possible with probably north of $15,000 worth of speakers. If you're like me, you'll leave the show blown away and dreaming about how you accomplish even half of what you saw and heard for an even smaller fraction of the budget. I'll be working in Mark's room, so feel free to come by and introduce yourself. Seaton Sound is the primary vendor, but you'll also see the iRule control system, a Projection Design F32 1080VizSim projector, and a Seymour AV audio-transparent screen. Mark said he was planning on doing formal demos every couple of hours on the hour, so you should probably plan to burn 45 minutes or an hour just in Mark's room.

I don't know what Chicago has to offer in the way of any kind of relevant club, but I will tell you this forum and AVS Forum are arguably two of the best places on the internet for enthusiast-oriented info on dedicated home theater, HTPC, media playback, image and sound quality, etc. The guys on AVS Forum also has "meets" or "get-togethers" (GTGs for short). I think Chicagoland has at least one or two a year, the HEMI guys in Michigan usually have at least one a year, and we're having one in Iowa in May.

Here's a subforum on AVS about Area Home Theater meets…
http://www.avsforum.com/f/61/area-home-theater-meets

I believe you need to be a registered user to see that sub forum.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: