Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Watched a movie on a digital last night and...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
HogPilot wrote:
Perfect - lacking any definitive or useful comparative info, this discussion has now devolved into loose car analogies bolstered by penis commentary. Hell, even though it's an HT thread maybe now ron can participate, and ro_co can smack him down as usual.

+1

But, since he was comparing apples and oranges even in his metaphors, I'll go ahead and run with the car metaphor.

digitalayon wrote:
Now we have the newer digital's in which I liken to a Honda Accord. Great car and capable of going a great amount of distances. You can maybe chip the computer, change the color, and even add seat covers and runs smooth. Eventually when the motor dies, so does the whole car and gets scrapped.

Yeah, but your Epson is the Accord! It's a 2008 in metallic gold (aka beige), tan cloth, practical fuel economy, and utterly forgettable in every way.

Your Marquee is a '91 Corvette, on which you've upgraded the ECM, intake, exhaust, and brakes. It's a fun car, a blast to drive, and even though it's not up to the standards of new cars, there's just "something about it" that appeals to you that just isn't in the new cars.

My JVC is a 2012 C6 Corvette with hydro-formed chassis, 430hp V8, 6-speed, sport suspension, amazing brakes, and Z-rated tires mounted on 18-inch wheels. It's fast around the track, but still gets 25MPG on the interstate. I was happy to let my old car go because the new car was superior in all the ways that were most important to me: It was fast, quiet, efficient, but still performed excellent. More expensive to buy than the old car, but it fit my needs perfectly, so I went ahead.

I'd love to have Hog's 2012 or Kal's 2013 Z06 to get the 505HP motor, better brakes, and carbon fiber hood, but it was a little more money than I could spend.

There. The car metaphor is fully fleshed out now.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm curious - I have a 2002 Silver Corvette Coupe, what is its projector equivalent? Mr. Green

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver '02 coupe? Clearly, that's a Cine 9!

Duh! Wink

SC

silvercine9.jpg
 Description:
Silver/blue Barco Cine 9
 Filesize:  6.28 KB
 Viewed:  11672 Time(s)

silvercine9.jpg

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Duh! Wink

SC

Nice! Maybe on your free time you can establish a car-to-projector equivalency list? Make sure to include model variations based on who has put what inside whose female relatives.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Duh! Wink

SC

Nice! Maybe on your free time you can establish a car-to-projector equivalency list? Make sure to include model variations based on who has put what inside whose female relatives.

Thumbs Up

Classic. You win at the internet today, Hog.

SC
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
HogPilot wrote:
Perfect - lacking any definitive or useful comparative info, this discussion has now devolved into loose car analogies bolstered by ***** commentary. Hell, even though it's an HT thread maybe now ron can participate, and ro_co can smack him down as usual.

+1

But, since he was comparing apples and oranges even in his metaphors, I'll go ahead and run with the car metaphor.

digitalayon wrote:
Now we have the newer digital's in which I liken to a Honda Accord. Great car and capable of going a great amount of distances. You can maybe chip the computer, change the color, and even add seat covers and runs smooth. Eventually when the motor dies, so does the whole car and gets scrapped.

Yeah, but your Epson is the Accord! It's a 2008 in metallic gold (aka beige), tan cloth, practical fuel economy, and utterly forgettable in every way.

Your Marquee is a '91 Corvette, on which you've upgraded the ECM, intake, exhaust, and brakes. It's a fun car, a blast to drive, and even though it's not up to the standards of new cars, there's just "something about it" that appeals to you that just isn't in the new cars.

My JVC is a 2012 C6 Corvette with hydro-formed chassis, 430hp V8, 6-speed, sport suspension, amazing brakes, and Z-rated tires mounted on 18-inch wheels. It's fast around the track, but still gets 25MPG on the interstate. I was happy to let my old car go because the new car was superior in all the ways that were most important to me: It was fast, quiet, efficient, but still performed excellent. More expensive to buy than the old car, but it fit my needs perfectly, so I went ahead.

I'd love to have Hog's 2012 or Kal's 2013 Z06 to get the 505HP motor, better brakes, and carbon fiber hood, but it was a little more money than I could spend.

There. The car metaphor is fully fleshed out now.

SC

No way.....Mine is a Mach1 Mustang!!!
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to ask what the EHome Marquee Ultra is in car equivalency.

Steve

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
No point in wanting to kill anyone over it though. I mean it is a CRT forum.

No it isn't. It's a home theater forum that has its roots in CRT.

Look up. It says:

CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum

Go to the main www.curtpalme.com site. It says:

CurtPalme.com Home Theater

CRT fans will of course come here over other forums as it's the best place for those discussions, but that doesn't mean that this is a CRT forum.

Quote:
Ask yourself Kal, say you had plenty of room in your theater for a CRT and you had a CRT 9 inch with every upgrade and mod known, would you have swapped it out? Lets say its a G90 or Cine9. Its your turn to show us you are not being ignorant.

Do you mean when I did my basement in the new house would I have installed a high end 9" machine if (a) I already had one and (b) there was room for it? Of course. Yes. I would have kept / installed the CRT.

If you read my comments on my basement build and other places I've commented about it, you'll see that this is exactly what I said in the past (as Curt mentioned).

I really have no love for the technology used to display movies. I love movies. I don't care how they get up on the screen. In 2003-2004 it was a no-brainer: Only CRT would give me what I deemed important in picture quality. Today, I'm fortunate that digital will do that as well, so I went digital. YMMV.

I will say I was extremely nervous basically buying my JVC RS56 sight unseen. I had seen few of the previous year models at a local hifi shop but wasn't that impressed with the way they had them set up (the excuse was that the "calibration guy" hadn't had time to do a proper setup). I was hoping that it would be something I could live with and bought the RS56 instead of RS46 "just in case" (to get darker blacks, higher contrast ratio). I wanted something "as good" as my 1200x. That's all I wanted. After setting it up correctly and calibrating my fear turned out to be unfounded. In fact it turned somewhat to annoyance, as I actually prefer the RS56 and was noticing details and things I was missing in the past. So instead of "I hope it will look at least as good as the 1200x" my thoughts turned to "crap! Why didn't I do this sooner!". Wink

I was very happy with the 1200x, and am very happy now with the RS56. Both bring/brought a smile to my face when I fire them up. And that's really all that matters.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look up I see a picture of a CRT projector. Then I see a "products for sale' and when I look in there it is all CRT's. Then I see hooking it all up, CRT. Then, CRT primer, CRT. Then, "best/worst", CRT. Then, "tips and manual", CRT. Then, "advanced procedures", CRT.
On any given day the CRT section has more viewers then all other sections combined.

So you may want to claim that this forum is not a CRT forum but I would bet a majority of visitors and those of us who have been here for years would not agree. And if I am not mistaken the site originally said CRT forum or something like that but I do not remember for sure. So changing the title of the forum doesn't necessarily change what it really is.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move along, there's nothing to CRT here Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I saw the RS 45 similar to Kal's and I think a RS 4910 or something? They looked sharp as hell but still not as dark as I like. and some motion resolution That I am very sensitive to, especially with sports. There is a high end Audio shop with an in house calibrator where i saw them. One other thing is , and maybe its just me but it looks fake. And I have repeated this many times, like you took flat card board cut outs and placed them at varying depths. So with regard to each other the objects have a sense of depth but the object itself is flat. I do not know how else to explain it, I see the same thing on new Flat panels, except for plasma. I like how plasma looks over LED , LCDF etc.

This of course is my own opinion and taste and yours may vary. it is what I see and How I see it. So telling me I am wrong is like telling me that I'm wrong for not liking eggplant.

Athanasios

Kind of. Kal has the 56. If you saw the 4910, then I wonder if it was set up properly. The reason I ask is it has the new DI. With it, you should have seen around 150k to 1 on/off cr or more.

I agree that without the DI the JVCs aren't close to CRTs in on/off. On the flip side, I wonder how many CRTers would be happy with the level of cr that the JVC gives. I know you probably have your stack gamma corrected to high on/off, but how many other CRTers do the same thing? My guess is that a lot of people are either crushing low level detail or are sacrificing on/off.

macgyver655 wrote:
When I look up I see a picture of a CRT projector. Then I see a "products for sale' and when I look in there it is all CRT's. Then I see hooking it all up, CRT. Then, CRT primer, CRT. Then, "best/worst", CRT. Then, "tips and manual", CRT. Then, "advanced procedures", CRT.
On any given day the CRT section has more viewers then all other sections combined.

So you may want to claim that this forum is not a CRT forum but I would bet a majority of visitors and those of us who have been here for years would not agree. And if I am not mistaken the site originally said CRT forum or something like that but I do not remember for sure. So changing the title of the forum doesn't necessarily change what it really is.

I guess this goes under the saying of "It is what it is!". I remember Kal saying a couple of years ago that he was hoping this would morph into more of a HT forum instead of just a CRT forum.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal and I both have our motivations, which is probably overall why it's worked so well. He was the one that brought the Fury to the table, asking if it was OK to market it on the site. I said sure. That then was followed by everything else you see here. Had the site and forum only been about CRT, I don't think it would be here today, or at least not in the form it is now.

Stop hating, people! It's all good. I don't foresee having a digital any time in the future, chances are I'll die with a CRT on my ceiling. It's equally fine if I'm the only one. Smile
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to put it on ceiling first? Twisted Evil

Now for some levity go read my thread in the OT.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Don't you have to put it on ceiling first? Twisted Evil

Now for some levity go read my thread in the OT.

He has to shovel the mounds of electronic parts out first. LOL...he may be better off waiting for that part as he can mount his projector by standing on his "raised hill". Mr. Green
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys don't play nice. I'm going home! Very Happy

(great line Spanky, I LOLed!)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

I was very happy with the 1200x, and am very happy now with the RS56. Both bring/brought a smile to my face when I fire them up. And that's really all that matters.

Kal

Exactly what I originally meant from the beginning of this thread through my kids eyes!!! A smile to their faces...all that matters. Cool

And I do know what you mean about room. My ceilings in my man cave are 6'11. I saw all of that gorgeous work you did in your previous house. I cannot believe anyone would want to give it up and start over. However I did see pics you were going to do.....sexy man!!! FYI....thx for keeping me employed with your choice of projector. Mr. Green Thumbs Up
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
I'm afraid to ask what the EHome Marquee Ultra is in car equivalency.

Steve

Well mine is like yours but it's a VV1. So I have the Mach1 and yours is the Shelby GT!
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
HogPilot wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Duh! Wink

SC

Thumbs Up

Classic. You win at the internet today, Hog.

SC

Ha, thanks. I think this list will really allow us to open up these types of discussions to a whole different level of silliness Smile

For example, get the Mustang projector owners arguing with the Camaro projector owners, and the big displacement projector guys arguing with the high rev projector guys. Imagine the possibilities! Mr. Green

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: