Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Watched a movie on a digital last night and...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Watched a movie on a digital last night and... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
IT LOOKED LIKE sh*t!!!! Thumbs Down Setup an Epson 1915 in my kids play area and watched a movie. with them. They are thrilled with it though.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it did, you own a cheap 1024x768 LCD business projector designed to throw lots of light at the expense of contrast and white/color accuracy. Nothing about it is even remotely designed for home theater use - exactly what were you expecting?

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL....I never used it for a movie before. Sports mainly....works great for that purpose. It does do 1080P but a stupid 4:3 light shape surrounds it.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because it's a 4:3 projector. And it may receive 1080p, but with a 16:9 source it can barely display SD resolution - you'll get a scaled 1024x576 image. Nowhere close to HD.

SC
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not do 1080p... It hasnt got the pixels for it.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
It does not do 1080p... It hasnt got the pixels for it.

you can argue with the set settings on the blu-ray player and tell it what it can do and what it cannot!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blu-ray player can send it 1080p. And then the Epson can downconvert that to 1024x576, just like HP said.

Feeding it 1080p doesn't magically create new pixels in the projector. It has a 1024x768 panel internally, so 1024 pixels is the widest image it can display. Scale that to 16x9 and you've got 1024x576. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_1915.htm

You can feed perfect audiophile-quality sound into a 3" Radio Shack speaker and it'll sound like crap. Same idea.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Gary said! Smile

A lot of cheapie projectors will input 1080p, but the display isn't, so you're not seeing anything close to a 1080p image.

This 'white van' projector for example uses a 640 X 480 panel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE196JI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DE196JI&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
The blu-ray player can send it 1080p. And then the Epson can downconvert that to 1024x576, just like HP said.

Feeding it 1080p doesn't magically create new pixels in the projector. It has a 1024x768 panel internally, so 1024 pixels is the widest image it can display. Scale that to 16x9 and you've got 1024x576. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_1915.htm

You can feed perfect audiophile-quality sound into a 3" Radio Shack speaker and it'll sound like crap. Same idea.

I feel like there's an echo in here Mr. Green

SC
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times will it have to be said eh?? Laughing

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....did not know Epson downgraded the image. But then again I repaired this unit and did not know much about it.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse it does, where do you think it is going to get the extra pixels from? Laughing

HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
Wow....did not know Epson downgraded the image. But then again I repaired this unit and did not know much about it.

Yes, as others have said, this model has a fixed panel resolution of 1024x768 pixels, thus you cannot get more horizontal or vertical resolution than this, regardless of the resolution of the input signal. This means that all 16:9 material is displayed at 1024x576, and all 2.35:1 material is displayed at 1024x428. So you're essentially watching SD-quality images, even when you feed 1080p to the machine.

Business models such as yours notoriously have abysmal contrast. Worse yet, UHP bulbs put out most of their light in the yellow-green region of the spectrum, which is usually filtered significantly in HT projectors to provide more accurate primaries. However business projectors sacrifice this accuracy and filter a lot less light in order to maximize light output for the fully-lit rooms they're generally used in. Even if these projectors had built-in CMSs - which most don't - they would be of limited use in correcting such extreme deviations from REC.709 or REC.601 standards.

So when I see people here posting about the sh*tty experiences they have with "digitals" - and it turns out to be a cheap LCD business model such as yours - I can't help but laugh at how dissimilar and low quality such a projector is compared to even moderately priced HD HT projectors. Such a projector is hardly representative of any digital HT projector, especially mid-level LCoS models like JVCs and Sonys.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread topics like this do a complete disservice to those considering digital, so I've gone ahead and changed the subject from:

To:

My 5 year old 1024x768 business projector looks like crap

The original subject and post insinuate the following fallacy:

1. I watched a movie on my digital projector.
2. The picture looked like crap.
3. Therefore all digital projectors look like crap.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thread topics like this do a complete disservice to those considering digital, so I've gone ahead and changed the subject from:

To:

Kal

I thought Curt makes money out of CRT and not from those who considering digital Very Happy
If I would open a thread with a title: "Sony G90 looks like crap" which includes that all sony G90 looks like crap, and turns turns out I am unable to even dial in convergnece, would you change the title for me? Rolling Eyes

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I thought Curt makes money out of CRT and not from those who considering digital Very Happy

He does. But facts always come before marketing nonsense. He's not one to make unequivocal statements like "CRT is better than digital".

Quote:
If I would open a thread with a title: "Sony G90 looks like crap" which includes that all sony G90 looks like crap, and turns turns out I am unable to even dial in convergnece, would you change the title for me? Rolling Eyes

Possibly. Just to piss you off. Wink

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

To:

Kal

If I could thank posts, this would get a couple. Thumbs Up

gjaky wrote:

Actually a better analogy would be if you started a thread with the title "CRT looks like crap". Then you are making a blanket statement on the entire technology not an individual model. I realize that a lot of people don't search out digitals and when they see one they look at it and make a general observation. A lot of the people here also look at the price of said digital and compare that to the CRT they have now. I wonder how many people here would change their mind if they saw even the less expensive HT digitals like the Mits 7900 that I recently mentioned for $799. Also, since most here aren't looking for deals they don't know what can be had on the used market. I bought a Marantz VP4000 for $400 over four years ago. It put out a great pic for the price and is still running strong. Instead of being antagonistic, why don't some of you guys actually try to find some good digitals to take a look at? For me and others, I got into this hobby to watch a big screen image not worry about the technology that gets me there.

I wrote a longer response, but my laptop ate it. Wink
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

If you haven't noticed, there are many products for sale on the site which aren't CRT-specific. There is much discussion, many product links, etc., all which are not CRT-specific. A significant number of former CRT owners have gone digital, and the name of the site was even changed from CRT Projector Forum to Home Theater Forum to reflect the evolving interests of visitors.

gjaky wrote:

People come to this site to learn about home theater, and much of their knowledge base and opinions are formed from things they read here. Some literally don't visit any other sites, so incorrect information - explicit or implied - can be a problem.

Whether it's somebody implying digital sucks because they tried an entry-level business-class LCD projector, or somebody implying CRT sucks when all they've seen is an old 7- or 8-inch air-coupled machine, I think it's completely fair to address gross factual errors and mischaracterizations, up to and including changing a thread title.

EDIT - I wouldn't have gone as far as editing the thread title myself, but I do agree with Kal on the sentiment.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to AVS Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Welcome to AVS Wink

Nope - they would have nuked entire posts or the entire thread. I changed the subject and left all posts intact.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: