Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Kal's basement Home Theatre/Bar/Brewery build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ecrabb wrote:
A commode isn't much (if any) better, which is why I typically sit on my ass whenever I'm at home.

That's the way my mom raised me, too. She said she wasn't going to clean up piss off the floor so I could by-God sit to pee. I agree, it's a lot more sanitary. Except, um, some commodes have a higher water level than others...
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best insults I ever hear from one man to another who was not acting as a man should was, ""Do you should sit on the toilet when you piss?"....Just saying Wink

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
one of the best insults I ever hear from one man to another who was not acting as a man should was, ""Do you should sit on the toilet when you piss?"....Just saying Wink

I'm about 6'3" and 250 pounds, and I'm not an *******, so I don't generally have to worry about insults from other men. Just saying.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
A commode isn't much (if any) better, which is why I typically sit on my ass whenever I'm at home.

That's the way my mom raised me, too. She said she wasn't going to clean up piss off the floor so I could by-God sit to pee. I agree, it's a lot more sanitary. Except, um, some commodes have a higher water level than others...

Wow and here I spent all my life practicing my aim.

The only time I remember sitting is the morning after so I can fall asleep against the wall. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Wow and here I spent all my life practicing my aim.

It's not about the aim. No matter how perfect your aim is, piss still gets on the floor because it splashes. No way to avoid it other than sitting down.

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

I'm about 6'3" and 250 pounds, and I'm not an *******, so I don't generally have to worry about insults from other men. Just saying.

SC

Very Happy

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, quite an interesting change of topic, from home theater pics to pissing on the floor, lmao. Thumbs Up
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
wow, quite an interesting change of topic, from home theater pics to pissing on the floor, lmao. Thumbs Up

Totally par for the course around these parts! Wink

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certain piercings make sitting mandatory.

don't think about it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'm about 6'3" ...

There's your problem. V = sqrt(2gH). your height is high, or something is too short. I can't sit, because the water is too cold. And deep. Laughing

I'm with AR. Aim. Hitting the porcelain rather than a puddle of water at the bottom minimizes splashing. I wear shorts and Birkies alot. Wink That's what I liked about the look of Kals' urinal. Good urine-stream aquadynamic engineering.

Ever been to Japan or other Asian cultures and used the hole or trough thing? I don't think they are to stand over, but rather to squat on. Weird. Practically and efficiency speaking, a straw-bale in the back-yard works great for a pisser. Zero water, zero plumbing, nothing to clean, and it recycles and loosens and enriches the soil. Maybe too Bohemian?

Kals thread took a turn here. Kinda weird that a toilet fixture would do that. Sorry Kal. Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our basement bar & brewery was featured in an article called "Ultimate Brewing Man Cave" in the November 2013 issue of Brew Your Own (BYO) magazine.

You can read it here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/Electric_Homebrewery_BYO_Nov2013.pdf (4.7 mb)

A preview:

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!

remind me - how are you using the big empty space behind the screen - almost directly under the words "movie storage"? is that the furnace and so on?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
remind me - how are you using the big empty space behind the screen - almost directly under the words "movie storage"? is that the furnace and so on?

The area with the grey/white floor? Yes, it's mechanical room (ERV/furnace/hot water tank/etc) and workshop/storage area for all the junk you accumulate that don't want to see every day. Wink

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
area for all the junk you accumulate that don't want to see every day. Wink
Kal

That would my entire basement.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's how ours was before the reno. That's why I have floor to ceiling shelves and it has to be organized! (We have way too much stuff!)

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our basement was part of a feature in the local Ottawa Citizen newspaper today (Nov 23, 2013). It was an article that covered basement reno's.

Complete article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Basement+beauties/9195128/story.html

Here's the relevant portion for our basement:

Quote:
OTTAWA — Bars have been a feature of basements for at least as long as suburban dads have been turning concrete walls into rec rooms. But the winning entry in the basement renovation category at this year’s Housing Design Awards sponsored by the Greater Ottawa Home Builders’ Association takes both beer and basements to a whole different level.Designed and built by Ottawa’s Just Basements, the spectacular below-grade makeover includes a complete electric microbrewery behind a custom quartz and walnut bar. The sleek, gleaming brewery with its chrome draft tower was the homeowner’s idea and it produces eight types of beer — just the thing to quaff while unwinding in the tiered home theatre or after a spell in the custom-built infrared sauna.

The high-end makeover illustrates “the trend of people willing to go to the trouble of designing spaces and spending money in the basement to have what we would never have thought of before,” says Just Basements’ Norm Lecuyer.

In keeping with the tastes of home buyers, basement renovation clients are increasingly asking for slick, modern designs, he says. In the case of the craft beer-loving homeowner, that meant a grey-toned colour scheme, strong lines, and metal and glass accents.

The bar of a winning Just Basements project features eight site-brewed beers on tap at the chrome draft tower.

Designed and built by Just Basements, the winning design in this year’s Housing Design Awards basement renovation category features a grey-toned colour scheme, strong lines, and metal and glass accents.

Taking beer and basements to a new level, the winning entry in this year’s basement renovation category at the Housing Design Awards is a sleek and stylish space by Just Basements that features a microbrewery.

Sleek and stylish, this winning basement design by Just Basements was inspired by homeowners wishing for a great place to enjoy their passions for entertaining, movies and beer.

The microbrewery in the Just Basements project is touted as one of the largest home breweries in Ontario. (Kal: Really? I wonder who came up with that... that's not something I ever said).

A custom-built infrared sauna is just one of the many features in the Just Basements winning project. (Kal: The sauna's actually not IR. I originally considered IR when it was going to be a small space (1-2 seater) but going traditional was actually cheaper given the larger size of the sauna we went with (5x7 feet). IR saunas are also a completely different 'feel' and not what I'm used to either, which is one of the reasons we decided to go larger in order to put in a traditional heater).

The bar of a winning Just Basements project features eight site-brewed beers on tap at the chrome draft tower.

Kal

jask

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations Kal you earned it! sad to admit that BYO is still in its wrapper on my desk..... looking forward to reading it.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of our designer's pictures have been mentioned/reused on a couple of websites:

About ½ way down the page: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/09/cool-basements_n_4747813.html?ir=Parents

5th photo down: http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/some-homes-are-a-cut-above-the-rest-31-photos/

Kal

jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
A couple of our designer's pictures have been mentioned/reused on a couple of websites:

About ½ way down the page: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/09/cool-basements_n_4747813.html?ir=Parents

5th photo down: http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/some-homes-are-a-cut-above-the-rest-31-photos/

Kal

Telling people one of your photos is on the Chive must get some great reactions!! congats again!
View user's photo album (4 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is really something to be proud of hell I am proud of it and its yours Thumbs Up

How much time do you spend not in there??
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19
Jump to: