Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Yo ecrabb!!! iRule wins CEA award!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Yo ecrabb!!! iRule wins CEA award! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Rumor has it that you guys won 'Control Product of the Year' at CES!

Go Irule, and congrats!

(now if I could only find 4 hours to get the tutorial done, I'd be up to speed....)

NEXT WEEK FOR SURE! Thumbs Up
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I bought a Global cache 100 a year ago and never even opened the box.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true! It's a big day for iRule! Everybody on the team has been working their butts off, so it's really rewarding to get major recognition like this. We're actually changing an industry! Custom control isn't just for people who can afford Crestron and AMX systems, anymore!

Thanks for posting about it! We're all really excited!

You can watch the videos whenever you want and work on your own test system at your leisure, but the four-hour dealer training session is really great to get you on the way. Of course, you can always ask me questions, too.

Come on Athanasios! Get it out of the box and start playing! Warning: If you like this stuff, it can be addicting. Wink

Cheers,
SC

PS - Added something more descriptive to the thread title and moved to HT accessories, Curt. Smile
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Yeah I bought a Global cache 100 a year ago and never even opened the box.

Nashou

Irule is for HT enthusiasts who watch movies not the constant tweaker. I mean it isn't going to hold a soldering iron for you. Mr. Green Laughing

Congrats Crabb and the gang!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Did you go to CES?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t! Home town boy makes good! Congrats, Steve!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

No, didn't go to Vegas. Somebody has to hold down the fort while Itai goes to the parti… I mean, meetings.

My not getting to go is his payback for me not moving to Detroit like wants me to. Wink

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTA BOY !
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of some of the Mark of Excellence Product of the Year award winners:

Itai Ben-Gal, iRule's CEO is front-right-most, and that's Julie Jacobson from CE Pro/EH Publishing in the back row.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Steve! Amazing news!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve do you have links to the tutorials? And which one should I start with?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the website… Support > Tutorial Videos

Here's the link:
http://iruleathome.com/support-content/tutorial-videos

The first overview video is just over 5 minutes and gives you a pretty good idea how the system works. You can watch all the basic videos in under 30 minutes and have a pretty good idea how to get started. The training materials aren't the best - it's something else we have to improve. But, we do have a manual, also available from the support menu on the site. It's actually less of a manual and more of a step-by-step guide.

There's also our support forum, a big thread on AVS with lots of like-minded enthusiasts - some of whom are extremely helpful - and of course the old thread here I'm happy to answer questions in.

Watch a coupe of the first videos in your office when you sit down to eat a sandwich, and you'll be well on the way.

Thanks for the support, guys!!!

Cheers,
SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way I don't want you guys being successful!

What I mean of course is that I want to be the only dealer here that can undercut competitive Crestron and AMX quotes by 90%.

Of course that means I have to get off my butt. learn the programming and sell the s**t out of it! Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

What I mean of course is that I want to be the only dealer here that can undercut competitive Crestron and AMX quotes by 90%.

I know what you mean. It's a little like you did with CRT… Even if a market is niche, if nobody else is doing it, you get 100% of the business.

I think you have some time. Even if I do my job well and we keep getting press, expanding our customer base, and growing, it still takes a long time to change hearts and minds. People use what they know and what they're used to until something prevents them from doing so, so there's a lot of inertia in the marketplace. This year will be the first year since the company started that iRule will actually be marketed to commercial installers.

Curt Palme wrote:
Of course that means I have to get off my butt. learn the programming and sell the s**t out of it! Smile

Yes. Yes it does. Wink

You should try to schedule the training for this spring while it's still cold out. It is half a day, but it's really good stuff.

I wish I would have had more time to spend with you at CEDIA. I just HAD to go and ruin this hobby by making it my business. Wink

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

I know what you mean. It's a little like you did with CRT… Even if a market is niche, if nobody else is doing it, you get 100% of the business.

I think you have some time. Even if I do my job well and we keep getting press, expanding our customer base, and growing, it still takes a long time to change hearts and minds. People use what they know and what they're used to until something prevents them from doing so, so there's a lot of inertia in the marketplace. This year will be the first year since the company started that iRule will actually be marketed to commercial installers.

SC

Good luck. Everytime I have mentioned it to a commercial installer, he always says he is happy with Crestron and doesn't want to change. Of course, all I hear is "they give me a free trip to Hawaii when I sell 10 systems".

In time, they will come around. It will take the new guys like Curt taking business away that will get them to move.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crestron makes great stuff - they're industry-leaders for a reason. Sometimes projects require capabilities only Crestron or AMX can offer, so if the customer can afford it, then a dealer should use the best tool for the job.

OTOH, there are plenty of projects which don't require the capabilities or have budget for a Crestron or AMX system, but could still greatly benefit from something flexible, powerful, and scalable, yet still affordable. That's where iRule comes in.

They can actually be complementary products in a dealer's offering. Many of our dealers sell iRule alongside another control solution. It gives them the flexibility to be able to use the best tool for the job.

Cheers,
SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and so far all we've been talking about was the CEDIA and CI guys, though… For hardcore DIY'ers like us, the value is amazing there, too!

For the price of a Nexus 7 or iPad mini, an iTach or two, and a Pro License - the $500-600 ballpark - we get ourselves a system that's superior to stuff we couldn't afford even just five or six years ago. Now, we can control big, complex systems, wirelessly, in multiple rooms, with feedback and true customization, and program it all ourselves.

Man, I can't believe the Harmony 1000 I had was like $400. It was such a toy compared to what I have now. A Pronto 9400 with a tiny postage-stamp screen was almost $900, and a 9800 with the larger touchscreen was over two grand!!!

It's blowing my mind just how fast the last couple of years has flown by! I'm getting old!

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

SC

Good luck. Everytime I have mentioned it to a commercial installer, he always says he is happy with Crestron and doesn't want to change. Of course, all I hear is "they give me a free trip to Hawaii when I sell 10 systems".

In time, they will come around. It will take the new guys like Curt taking business away that will get them to move.

I guess that is where I have a bit of an advantage, being out of sound for almost 10 years, and am not familiar with Crestron and AMX. My client base has no fancy touchpad programmable stuff, although the consultants are of course all over fancy schmancy touchpads, and spec only Crestron or AMX. Even Control 4 isn't speced from what I see. I got a bit disillusioned, since I couldn't bid on the last two tenders that came out, but dammit, there's 99% of customers that don't deal with consultants, have no touchpad, and if I can go in there with an Ipad mini, and tell them that I can do what they want for $1K (number pulled out of thin air), as compared to a $5000 Crestron, I'll get the customer every time.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt,
You also have to remember after sales support. These guys also make a mint on support calls.

Crabb,
I agree that Crestron is great stuff, but everytime I have seen it in a home I feel like the owner is showing off. Even bigger is half don't even know how to use it or use it to its full potential.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story about Crestron: About 10 years ago, a local pub that I had dealt with for years insisted they wanted a touch screen to control their 30 some odd TVs in the bar. I told them it was a terrible idea, that it would be expensive, and a couple of minutes of walking around the bar to set the TV channels for the day wouldn't justify the cost outlay for the Crestron.

They insisted, and I told them they had to go elsewhere, that I wasn't a dealer for what they wanted. They ended up with a very reputable guy, who charged them something like $12K for the system. It worked, he did a good job.

Fast forward about 2 years when one of their Samsung plasmas died, and they installed an LG. Of course the IR codes were different, and they called my competitor buddy to reprogram the Crestron. He quoted them $800 to do it. They were pissed as hell, and called me, insisting that I should come and do one of my $150 service calls that they were used to. I explained that I couldn't do it, and they were stuck with him. Now all of a sudden he was the biggest Ahole according to them. I sympathized, but couldn't help.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That $800 quote to replace a TV is one of the biggest reasons that Crestron is left with only the very highest-end of the market. The dealers that charge that kind of money do so because they can. A price like to swap out a single TV is not only exorbitant, but borders on fraudulent. The customer is held hostage, because only the original integrator has the programming.

Interestingly, the dealers who bill those kinds of fees have hurt Crestron's and their own business more than they know. They think they can get away with it, but it's exactly that kind of thing that's forced them out of the mid-market, and opened a gaping hole for companies like us.

I wish I could tell you about one of our customers. It's a cool company we'd all know. They have a campus with lots of controlled rooms across the facility - at least a couple of dozen systems. They're phasing out Crestron and replacing it with iRule because they can manage it themselves with existing IT staff instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars every year calling an integrator every time somebody wants to replace a Blu-ray player.

The funny part is this is a company you'd never imagine would be concerned with costs. But, that's the interesting thing: When you take a couple of dozen rooms, multiply it times a couple grand for a few changes here and there when people want to move gear around for special projects, then multiple that by five years, all of a sudden it turns into some serious money. In some cases, more than the original acquisition cost. Switching to iRule is going to save them a LOT of money over the product lifecycle, and it's just money they can back into other parts of their business.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: