Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Winter power considerations for blips and blackouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnottyMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Winter power considerations for blips and blackouts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I got to thinking about what I can do about wintertime power problems.

I looked up for reference the spec on a Sony G70 and it's nigh on 750W and probably comparable to other sets. What can I do for power to keep a PJ from baking itself if the power goes out halfway through Lord of the Rings...

Will a beefy enough UPS handle that much wattage? I know microwaves are no go because it's not a real sine wave output and the really high wattage, same with laser printers. However, I have a Minuteman A900 that's good for 630W says the manual. Don't need runtime, just need blip skip and enough power for immediate cool down in the event of a full on outage.

While they are burying cable around here as fast as possible, sub stations light up the night sometimes when it gets windy. Whidbey Island is still very rural so lots of trees.

What is everyone else doing to handle this possibility?
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved south - no winter worries down here.

It takes a lot more than a single outage to harm a PJ -

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout this...

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SU5000TXFMR&total_watts=50

APC Smart-UPS, 4500VA/3375W, Input 208V/Output 120V, 208V, Interface Port DB-9 RS-232, RJ-45 10 Base-T ethernet for web/ SNMP/ Telnet management, SmartSlot

Includes: CD with software, Smart UPS signalling RS-232 cable, User Manual

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with an APC like that (besides how expensive it would be) is that the things are frickin' LOUD. At my office, we have one just like it supplying our server. The fans in the UPS are so loud, that they practically drown out the server... which has fans cooling EIGHT 10k drives and dual redundant PSUs (more fans). The UPS cycles its fans from low to high every so often. On high, it sounds like the electric fan on a car radiator. So, you'd definitely have to ditch it in a sound-insulated room.

I've wondered about this, too. Anybody know if there are any low-cost solutions? On-line seems like overkill to me. With the giant inverters, there's so much heat (and therefore noise). I don't care about performance when the power is out. I just want something to protect the equipment when the power is on - from surges and sags - and something that can give me 60 seconds to shut everything down gracefully if the power goes out.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
BGSPCS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an APC Smart UPS 1400, it only runs it's fan when it's about to melt down, i use one on my one server here. I also have a Smart UPS 3000, it handles about 18 amps with 8 outlets, i bought it on ebay for $200. It only runs it's fan if it is recharging or on battery. The fan isn't too loud, its quieter than my servers.
Don Rombach

TV/Projector: Sony G70

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGSPCS wrote:
Try an APC Smart UPS 1400, it only runs it's fan when it's about to melt down, i use one on my one server here. I also have a Smart UPS 3000, it handles about 18 amps with 8 outlets, i bought it on ebay for $200. It only runs it's fan if it is recharging or on battery. The fan isn't too loud, its quieter than my servers.

I've used a 1500va APC for several years now. Dead quiet unless there is a power failure.

All of my HT gear, except the audio receiver is connected thru this UPC. There is only enough current while the pj is running to run for around 10 minutes. More than enough time to shut down your gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: