Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

wall mounting amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: wall mounting amps Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
okay, i'm bragging. this project started in conception 4 years ago, and last night i got the first one of three done, the other two are tonight.

i use meitner/museatex amps - mostly monoblocks and i've been wanting to put the surround amps close to the surround speakers for short speaker cables. this means mounting them on the wall.

i didn't want to just use "wacky glue" so i had to build wall mounts, but wanted them to match the mahogany amps with their black fronts. and i wanted the power light visable and an easy on off button.

i've put some pictures in my photo album. i'm very happy with how this turned out. now to build some speaker and interconnect cables.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that is interesting. No offense, but I don't like the look of hanging even more on the wall around the theater.

Also, I don't understand the purpose. You think a 20' interconnect is better than a 20' speaker cable? Why? I guarantee you won't be able to hear the difference.

Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
OK, that is interesting. No offense, but I don't like the look of hanging even more on the wall around the theater.

agreed, it's subjective, but the room is also used for music, and during such is not in "dark room" movie mode. i also really like the look of the meitner gear and always felt it a shame to have it hidden away.

Person99 wrote:
Also, I don't understand the purpose. You think a 20' interconnect is better than a 20' speaker cable? Why? I guarantee you won't be able to hear the difference.

we'll leave the cable discussion to another day Smile but let's just say that given a long run, i'm happier with long interconnects and short speaker cable so that is what i have done. but seeing as i did run both speaker and interconnect to each speaker, i can do some comparisons at some time.

cheers

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing something similar, not the wall mount but the cabling.

I'm moving my equipment rack from the front of the room to the back. Do I run long interconects and have the amps up front by the 3 speakers or do I buy long speaker cables and leave the amps at the back of the room in the racks?

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that high quality interconnects cost more per foot than high quality speaker wire... (quality is subjective of course).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I was always under the impression that high quality interconnects cost more per foot than high quality speaker wire... (quality is subjective of course).

Kal

but i can build my own interconnects and have a whack of fun doing so Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
but seeing as i did run both speaker and interconnect to each speaker, i can do some comparisons at some time.

If you really want to find out if you can tell the difference, don't compare them with you knowing which is which.

Have a friend play the same thing 20 times. Have him arbitrarily switch between the two methods without you knowing how it is hooked up (leave the room, hide your eyes, etc). Have him write down how they are connected for each pass.

For each pass, write down your impressions and if you thought it sounded better or worse than any other pass.

When done, compare the two lists--I bet you don't get it 100% correct. I bet you are not even close to 100% correct.

If you test knowing which cabling method you are listening to, it is a flawed experiment and completely utterly totally useless, you might as well not do it because the way you are biased to will win.

Dave
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
zaphod wrote:
but seeing as i did run both speaker and interconnect to each speaker, i can do some comparisons at some time.

If you really want to find out if you can tell the difference, don't compare them with you knowing which is which.

If you test knowing which cabling method you are listening to, it is a flawed experiment and completely utterly totally useless, you might as well not do it because the way you are biased to will win.

Dave

actually that's pretty useless too.

i'll put on my hat i bought with seven years of clinical trial research... and yeah, i did write the book - or at least a chapter of the book (Data Management for Multicenter Studies: Methods and Guidelines, Elsevier Publications).

what you describe is a single blind test, still questionable as the tester can unintentionally indicate which is which during the testing. what you want is a double blind test.

so, you have a switch box labelled setups A and B. the tester switches between the two. however the tester does not set up the switch box, someone else does. this way the tester has no knowledge of what A and B are, they merely provide different test scenarios and record the results.

- patient has no idea when A is being used versus B. just that a change was (or was not Smile) made.
- tester has no idea what A or B mean
- third person did the setup of A and B

of course, some trials must be, by their nature, unblinded. for example in the NASCET trial (North American Symptomatic Endarterectomy Trial in the late 80's and early 90's) on which i wored the two arms of the trial were surgery versus best non-surgical treatment. obviously the trial nurses, doctors and patients themselves knew if the surgical arm had been randomly chosen.

as an aside, i'm trying to convince my dad that his hip replacement last month might be a placebo Smile

as to random numbers, it is important that the tester presenting A and B will be doing so from a preset schedule of randomized alternatives. this might be a simple two-tailed coin, or a series of random numbers with a blocking factor introduced (ie: in a series of "n" random numbers you force "i" occurences of one choice if that hasn't happened, errr randomly).

when all that is done in a trial (double blind, preset random sequence) we can talk statistical significance and P values (the measure of statistical significance).

hat off, chalk down, biostats lesson over.

back to my origial post. i never said that it sounded better or worse with long interconnects or long speaker cables.

but i'm damn happier with the amps and the wall and i'm f*cking proud of the work that i did making the mounts for them and pretty impressed as to the quality of the end product. from the fiber optic cable to turn the power indicator LED 90 degrees to the mechanical button i made, to the near exact match of the mahogany panel to the original sleeve on the amp.

i've taken the pictures down. too much piss in my cornflakes.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take the pics down Zaphod! They were nicely mounted - I agree! I'd like to see more Martin Logan pics too! Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Person99 wrote:
zaphod wrote:

Dave

actually that's pretty useless too.

i'll put on my hat i bought with seven years of clinical trial research... and yeah, i did write the book - or at least a chapter of the book (Data Management for Multicenter Studies: Methods and Guidelines, Elsevier Publications).

what you describe is a single blind test, still questionable as the tester can unintentionally indicate which is which during the testing. what you want is a double blind test.

Yes I understand double blind tests. A single blind is leaps better than the testing most people do with mods and such. Obviously a double blind is better, but is generally impractical for the small gain over a single blind in these cases IMO. But, if you want to do a double blind, so much the better! I just see people not even putting in an effort to do a single blind test and making very dubious claims. I was only suggesting actually finding out if you could tell the difference in a reasonable to achieve largely accurate way--a way in which the comparing you propose to do would not achieve at all.

zaphod wrote:
back to my origial post. i never said that it sounded better or worse with long interconnects or long speaker cables.

I never said you did. I'm just trying to understand why someone would do this. Since the amps in a rack look quite nice and tidy, the only reason I could see to do this would be a belief in a performance increase. This was why I asked. You could have answered my question saying that you just like big hunks of wood hanging all over my theater, that is why you did thiis. But you didn't. You said you did it because you prefered a long interconnect run to a long speaker run. Using basic physics, I could see no reason for this, so I probed futher.

Sorry to have been such trouble for making you think about what you did.

zaphod wrote:
i've taken the pictures down. too much piss in my cornflakes.

I see no need to do that. You posted in a public forum something that made no sense at all to me. I simply asked why you did it. You answered and the answer made no sense to me so I probed further. If you don't want to discuss these things, what are you here for--just pats on the back to feel good?

Dave
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
what are you here for--just pats on the back to feel good?

in complete honesty, for this particular thread. yes i was trolling for compliments. what part of
zaphod wrote:
okay, i'm bragging.
was unclear Smile i suspect that a lot of people here when posting pictures of their setup or screenshots are also looking for "attaboys" or pats on the back. we're proud of what we do. we post pictures, someone says something nice, we feel good. we post more pictures. vicious circle. Smile

Person99 wrote:
I see no need to do that.

it was as close to deleting the thread as i could get. i'm annoyed at myself for bringing the subject up in the first place. i'm tempted to say something to the effect of pride going before a fall, but that is probably because i've been watching Carrie on AMC and Piper Laurie's performance is rivetting. Spooky, but rivetting.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

I agree with you on the "look at what I did" I have over 100 posts in my HTPC thread. Most of them are mine. LOL. I'm self centered and I go fishing for comments. Hopefully positive but if you hate the color don't like my work F-K ya then! It's not just a philosiphy it's a way of life.

I didn't get to see the pictures. If they are up I'll have a look and give you an 'atta boy' for a "really nice boy" Wink

( why do I feel like I should be scrathing your ears and patting you on the head ? LOL )

CRT.

HD done right!
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the result of those tests as I've often wondered which would sound better myself.I like the look of the amp beside the speaker but thought that the sound would be better if the cables where short and the speaker cables were longer---My thought being that there was more power from the amp on then from the processor to the amp and less effects of power loss on a short run--------But I don't know Mr. Green so a comparison test would be good
View user's photo album (3 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice amps. You're right they do look good on the wall. Do you have any plans to hide the cabels?

EDIT:

PS ATA BOY! lol

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: