Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

JVC DLA-RS56 : Abnormal Circuit Operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikrananka

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: JVC DLA-RS56 : Abnormal Circuit Operation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My RS56 has been in occasional use now for 5 months and it has started to give me intermittent problems on start-up. Every fourth or fifth power-on results in D-ILA being displayed followed by no picture, the projector shutting down and after the cooling period the "Lamp" and "Warning" lights repeatedly blink three times with the "Standby/On" light being on and steady. The manual seems to indicate that this is "abnormal circuit operation" - I say "seems" because the manual shows the "Standby/On" light as being off but in my case it stays on.

When I turning the unit on in this condition, i.e. with the LEDs flashing, results in in starting up normally and it then works fine. My concern is that this is a warning sign of something fatal building.

I have check the air filter and it is clean.

I have spent some time searching the web and found some discussion of others getting this error on other JVC projectors, but no mention of what their resolution was.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

The projector is part of my permanent home theatre and as such it is left plugged in (to a power conditioner) and in standby. Eco mode is turned off because I need it to respond to a LAN command to turn on via Roomie Remote on my iPad. Could the fact that it is left on standby all the time be part of the problem?

BTW: Firmware revision is 29.001 (is there newer firmware available?)

Thanks for any help.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you contact JVC, or the place you bought it?

Sounds like your unit is still covered by warrenty.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my very limited knowledge of digitals, I'd say you have a bulb or ballast problem, but yes, if it's under warranty, run to JVC with it.
ikrananka

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some issues with the dealer I purchased this from including not being supplied with a receipt. I will have to go back to them and demand this be attended to.

What is JVCs normal approach with faults such as this? Do they attempt repairs or do they simply replace with a refurbished unit?

If repairs are attempted is the unit normally sent away or do local repair centres handle the job?

Just trying to gauge when to bite the bullet - I really don't want to be without the projector over Christmas.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikrananka wrote:
I have had some issues with the dealer I purchased this from including not being supplied with a receipt. I will have to go back to them and demand this be attended to.

Definitely get your ducks in a row with respect to proof of purchase, just to avoid any problems.

ikrananka wrote:
What is JVCs normal approach with faults such as this? Do they attempt repairs or do they simply replace with a refurbished unit?

From what I've read, they will repair your unit unless perhaps you demanded otherwise.

ikrananka wrote:
If repairs are attempted is the unit normally sent away or do local repair centres handle the job?

Unless you happen to leave in the same city as a repair depot, you'll be shipping the projector.

ikrananka wrote:
Just trying to gauge when to bite the bullet - I really don't want to be without the projector over Christmas.

Your concerns are very valid. I have an RS45, so I'm subscribed to the RS45/X30 thread on AVS, and I've heard a couple of horror stories with respect to faults and the resulting JVC repairs. One poster in particular is having a hell of a time. Take it with a grain of salt of course, since most people who have good experiences don't go post on the forum about it, wheres the people with poor experiences (or in his case, exceptionally poor) do… But, from what I've read, I'd expect to be without your projector for some time. I'd probably tolerate the problem through the holidays if you can, and send it in immediately after.

Hopefully the horror story is an anomaly. Going without a projector for 4-6 weeks is utterly ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

Good luck!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you paid by credit card, you should be covered for warranty I'd think.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, Curt… In fact, you may get better service if you're a paying customer, essentially paying for the service and being reimbursed by your credit card rather than the manufacturer having to comp the repairs under their own warranty.

But, purchase warranty and warranty extensions are only available with some credit cards, aren't they? I don't think I have any product warranty extension or coverage on a couple of a my junk cards, but I do on my Amex gold card. My gold card doubles or triples manufacturer warranty, so that's what I use to buy large purchases like the JVC. JVC US warranty is 2 years parts & labor, so I should have I think four years.

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I buy so little electronics that I've never had to use a credit card to cover anything (yeah, me not buying a lot of electronics, that sound weird, right?), I've just read that on a few forums.

Most manufacturers really limit their warranty if you don't have a receipt or buy cross-border. Things may have changed, but I know that either you get a 30-90 day warranty if you attempt to get an item repaired under warranty in Canada that you bought in the US, and it is usually a PITA if you don't have a receipt. One possibility is that the dealer isn't an authorized JVC dealer, in which case there may not be a warranty at all.

JVC is pretty strict on their dealerships. I know I tried getting set up, but they won't set up someone without a storefront.
ikrananka

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion guys - very interesting.

I bought from a long established and reputable store in my home city in Canada but do not know if they are in fact an authorised JVC dealership - I just assumed that they were. When I use the JVC Canada online dealership locator, my dealer is NOT listed - so does that mean I have a warranty issue even if I had a receipt?

At least I don't have any cross-border issues thank goodness.

I did pay using my credit card and it does indeed include an "extended" warranty. I'll need to check the small print but always assumed that these only kicked in once the manufacturers warranty expired.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing devil's advocate, that may be why you didn't get a bill of sale.

Seems these days you have to simply hammer on everyone and threaten lawsuits in order to get customer service. The threat of a lawsuit usually kicks idiots into action. Sad but true.

As another aside, the regulars here will remember that I was given a JBL car digital signal processor, and JBL was out of stock of the calibration headphones that I didn't get with it. (it was a recycler find, bigtime score, but it was a freebie).

That was in Sept, right before I went on my long road trip. It's now mid December, and the damn headphones are still on backorder. I can't complain, due to this being a freebie, but if I had paid money for this $800 processor, I'd be choked that the unit was out of commission without the headphones for 3 months and counting.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be that the dealer was a dealer, but is no longer. One of my local dealers carried JVC for less than a year. They dropped the line because they said they got stuck with a rep that left right after they signed up, so they weren't supported. Even that wasn't a huge deal, but they said their customers couldn't tell enough difference between the JVC in the back room and the Epson line they also sell for a lot less money. That actually makes sense given their clientele and my local market.

Either way, the dealer should be able to cough up an invoice. I'd also press JVC… Authorized dealer no, it's still a broken, defective product, and you're still a current and potential future customer that they can choose to either help and keep happy - or not.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: