Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Oppo BDP-83 has a purple playback problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Oppo BDP-83 has a purple playback problem! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys -

Tonight I stuck in a Disney movie on BluRay I bought on ebay for my daughter and everything was tinted magenta. Even the OPPO splash screen (which is normally the blue logo on a black field) was a blue logo on magenta field! My first thought was "Great...why is green out?"...but then I realized the "black" was actually magenta! What the heck!? When the DVD/BR plays and I look into the tubes, I see Red and Blue are being driven REALLY hard -- almost like they are shooting their portion of a fullscreen 90IRE, except I see ghosts/partial negatives of the image I should see, but most is saturated out.

Troubleshooting I've done:
- Checked over menus everywhere -- all looks normal.
- My PJ displays content from all other sources normally.
- I bypassed the intermediate devices (the Outlaw prepro and the iScanHD), thereby giving Oppo HDMI to the HDF3 directly and thence onto the GammaX and then to my PJ. STILL have the problem. It does this for both DVD and BR.
- I used the composite video out of the Oppo (into the iScanHD) and all was fine that way, too.

Did something in the OPPO crap a brick? Did I mess with something inadvertantly? My life has been a mess the last two months and in the last week I've been fighting my HTPC off/on, so plausible I've screwed something up...but REALLY seems like it is in the OPPO internal circuitry leading to the HDMI output.

For too long now my chain has been:
Both Oppo BDP83 HDMI and HTPC HDMI (both HDMI to DVI) --> Outlaw 970 AVR (DVI back to HDMI cable) -> HDF3 -> DVDO iScanHD (on analog passthrough) -> GammaX -> to 50ft of cable to the PJ.

Ideas???
Matt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a regular TV with HDMI to test the Oppo on?

Also, have you had a firmware update lately?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope -- I have only the PJ and an old 19" sony in the house. I could bring a monitor home from work, I suppose.

Can it run updates on its own via the cat5 internet connection? It is plugged in to my network, but I never setup things to do auto-updates intentionally.

Next weekend I'll have time to check those ideas out.

Matt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Nope -- I have only the PJ and an old 19" sony in the house. I could bring a monitor home from work, I suppose.

Can it run updates on its own via the cat5 internet connection? It is plugged in to my network, but I never setup things to do auto-updates intentionally.

Next weekend I'll have time to check those ideas out.

Matt

Also check your color space on the Oppo, shouldn't make a difference but I've had strange things happen with this stuff. For instance, I've changed the setting, exited, powered back up, changed the setting to where it should be then had the setting 'stick'. Not on an Oppo but you get the general idea.

CRT.

HD done right!
mc86

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, AR. The color space was set to "Auto" -- which, I think, it always has been. Either my memory is wrong or something changed so that it isn't getting things right anymore. Point being, I switched the color space to be RGB (from Auto) and there was no more purple! (Seems weird...and that usually means I'm not understanding something.)

Matt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it took.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: