Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Man of Steel [Blu-ray]

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Man of Steel [Blu-ray] Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Man of Steel (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack) (2013)

Disclaimer: Using the affiliate links above helps support our forum at no extra cost to you. CurtPalme.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Quote:
From a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer, 'Man of Steel' surprises with its thoughtful reimagining of Superman's origins and the personal challenges he faces in his journey to becoming the iconic hero he's known for being. Director Zack Snyder brings his usual bombastic flair but manages to deliver the sort of comic book adaptation fans love to watch and will hopefully serve as the beginning of a new franchise. The film debuts on Blu-ray with excellent video and a reference-quality audio presentation that will satisfy home-theater enthusiasts everywhere. With a nice collection of supplements adding to the overall package, Superman fans should be more than happy with their purchase.

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

The Man of Steel makes his big debut on Blu-ray with this highly-detailed and impressive 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode. Shot with a combination of traditional 35mm film and the Red Epic digital camera system, this latest reiteration of the legendary superhero looks his best with a thin-layer of grain throughout, providing the movie with an attractive cinematic quality that's consistent. The video comes with a couple scenes that are softer than others, but they don't distract from the well-defined moments that show distinct lines in buildings, spaceships and various other vehicles. Facial complexions are very revealing with excellent lifelike textures, and the clothing, especially the Kryptonian outfits, exposes every stitch and thread of the fabric.

Presented in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio, the gritty cinematography of Amir Mokri favors a stylized and heavily subdued look, giving the film an overcast and somber appeal. Several flashes of the currently popular orange and teal palette sprinkle the image with some boldness and life while primaries come through richly-saturated and cleanly-rendered. In Spite of a noticeable toned-down contrast, the picture still yields remarkable clarity and resolution in the far distance, revealing the smallest window or tiniest antenna atop buildings. Black levels are inky and true with penetrating shadows that never take away from the background information. Overall, the high-def transfer is top-notch and sure to satisfy.

The Audio: Rating the Sound

The Snyder-Nolan-Goyer collaboration also yields some amazing results in the audio department with a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that will leave fans cheering for more. From the start, the movie opens with a wall of sound that doesn't let up until the last of the end credits, filling the screen and the room in general with the music of Hans Zimmer. With a remarkably detailed and sharply extensive mid-range, the listener can enjoy each note and individual instrument within the orchestration. The dynamic design is full of warmth and fidelity, peaking into the upper frequencies with incredible, room-penetrating clarity while still maintaining superb distinction and intelligibility in the dialogue. The low-end is quite responsive with a decent authoritative punch that reverberates through the room and adds weight to the action and music; only, it never really digs very deep or extend far into the lower depths.

Rear activity is equally exciting, delivering a consistent wave of discrete effects that fill the room with an immersive 360° soundfield. During action-packed sequences, anything from jets, helicopters, alien spacecrafts and Kryptonians speeding across the sky pan from one speaker to the next with exhilarating realism and flawless movement. Every explosion unloads a surge of gravel, dirt and rock that then rains down all around with amazing clarity and continues to bounce further away. Subtle atmospherics, like leaves blowing in the wind, birds flying overhead or city traffic, are employed to fill in the quieter, dialogue-driven moments, making this lossless mix a top contender for one of the best Blu-rays of the year.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this movie may already have a topic.

I just saw it at home on the UHD release, played and downscaled to 1080p via my Sony UBP-X800 4K player. Movie-wise, I was very pleasantly surprised at it. Overall it was quite good. I will watch it again, probably even tonight.

But I do have a few criticisms.

1: I absolutely hate directors and cinematographers who decide that EVERY shot in the movie needs to be filmed with a hand-held camera. And by a cameraman who has apparently had the WRONG amount of caffeine, no less. Are you SURE this scene wasn't filmed during a minor earthquake? And every other scene, too?

Camera dollies, Steadicams, and tripods. Learn them. Know them. USE THEM.

I thought I was going to get motion sickness from the shakeycam(tm) work!

2: Some scenes looked very, very grainy. This was readily apparent at 1080p, at 4K it would probably have been even worse.
But most scenes looked good and grainless. This inconsistency annoyed me. Pick a look and stick with it.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I thought this movie may already have a topic.

I just saw it at home on the UHD release, played and downscaled to 1080p via my Sony UBP-X800 4K player. Movie-wise, I was very pleasantly surprised at it. Overall it was quite good. I will watch it again, probably even tonight.

But I do have a few criticisms.

1: I absolutely hate directors and cinematographers who decide that EVERY shot in the movie needs to be filmed with a hand-held camera. And by a cameraman who has apparently had the WRONG amount of caffeine, no less. Are you SURE this scene wasn't filmed during a minor earthquake? And every other scene, too?

Camera dollies, Steadicams, and tripods. Learn them. Know them. USE THEM.

I thought I was going to get motion sickness from the shakeycam(tm) work!

2: Some scenes looked very, very grainy. This was readily apparent at 1080p, at 4K it would probably have been even worse.
But most scenes looked good and grainless. This inconsistency annoyed me. Pick a look and stick with it.

1. This would not be a problem if you watched movies on a regular TV like everyone else. Very Happy
2. Did the grain look like it came from post-production? Kal's post mentions 35mm and Red Digital. I don't think that 35mm would have a ton of grain if it was just recently shot though, right?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to go back and watch the movie again but I'd be inclined to think that the scenes with apparent grain in them were live action scenes shot on film, and the grainless scenes were the CGI scenes.

I do not know if the movie was shot with film at all. If it was shot with all digital cameras, then that brings up the possibility that the grain was added in post-processing, which would be particularly infuriating as there would then be no apparent rhyme nor reason to which scenes got it and which scenes did not. That would still further lower my opinion of the director and cinematographer, and it's already not all that high to start with.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'd have to go back and watch the movie again but I'd be inclined to think that the scenes with apparent grain in them were live action scenes shot on film, and the grainless scenes were the CGI scenes.

I do not know if the movie was shot with film at all. If it was shot with all digital cameras, then that brings up the possibility that the grain was added in post-processing, which would be particularly infuriating as there would then be no apparent rhyme nor reason to which scenes got it and which scenes did not. That would still further lower my opinion of the director and cinematographer, and it's already not all that high to start with.

You would be surprised. Some video games deliberately throw in motion blur as an added "effect" and it annoys the hell out of me. Especially if I'm on a CRT. I'm using a CRT to get AWAY from LCD's motion blur - why add it back in? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: