Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vancouver - FW900 Calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christpunchers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Vancouver - FW900 Calibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is any shop or anyone in Vancouver BC that is able to calibrate a FW900 24" CRT.

The monitor is in great condition. Never had any trouble with it.

Only thing that it needs is to have colors to be re-adjusted, just a bit of refreshing.

I'm certain that with someone who has calibrated Sony Trinition monitors before can make this FW900 look good as new. Unfortunately, this person is certainly not me!

I don't want to risk bringing this unit to your average TV repairman. It needs an experienced touch.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all it needs is a calibration, there is an ISF guy named Richard Stokes who is excellent. He won't be cheap though. I'm on the road until tomorrow, and don't have his contact info with me. He does have a website, maybe googling his name will bring it up. If not, I'll post it tomorrow.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard is found at Finely Tuned

Website here

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running the self calibration in the menu? It's called "color return", or "color restore", and can only be activated after the monitor has fully warmed up. It will do an AKB adjustment which should restore the brightness, and color balance to factory new settings unless it has drifted too far.
christpunchers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy2000 wrote:
Have you tried running the self calibration in the menu? It's called "color return", or "color restore", and can only be activated after the monitor has fully warmed up. It will do an AKB adjustment which should restore the brightness, and color balance to factory new settings unless it has drifted too far.

Yes, I've tried image restore quite a few times. It's decent for turning down over-brightness, but it doesn't to make the colors are accurate. Unfortunately, this means the unit must be recalibrated using the right equipment through WinDAS.
christpunchers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Richard is found at Finely Tuned

Website here

Great! Thanks! I'll send an email!
christpunchers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
If all it needs is a calibration, there is an ISF guy named Richard Stokes who is excellent. He won't be cheap though. I'm on the road until tomorrow, and don't have his contact info with me. He does have a website, maybe googling his name will bring it up. If not, I'll post it tomorrow.

Yes, it needs to be calibrated through WinDAS (basically a hardware based calibration). I will give Richard a shout! Thanks for the tip!
spacediver

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've achieved excellent white balance on my FW900 without going the windas route, although I will be performing a full windas calibration on my units soon.

Using the expert color mode, and RGB gain and bias, you can do essentially a two point grayscale calibration.

btw I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788
christpunchers

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacediver wrote:
I've achieved excellent white balance on my FW900 without going the windas route, although I will be performing a full windas calibration on my units soon.

Using the expert color mode, and RGB gain and bias, you can do essentially a two point grayscale calibration.

btw I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

I'm a hardforum person myself.

Actually my unit was purchased from Unkle Vito in Dec of 2008. It had barely any mileage on it according to his tests. But in about a year's time, its colors drifted. It's gotten worse and worse, and by 2013, I had to spend a lot of time tweaking it by eye mostly through the OSD.

I'm sure in the hands of an experienced calibrator, the unit will be good as new!

I'm looking to buy another unit from Vito, just to have one as a backup. These babies (in mint/barely used condition) are pretty rare!
spacediver

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea they're beauties. I recommend you invest in some calibration hardware if possible. an i1 pro rev D combined with a DTP-94 or i1displaypro will do wonders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: