Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

UPS recommendation for JVC RS56 digital projector?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal.. I have accidently turned the power off to my RS50 a few times, that happens when messing around as much as i do.

My lamp did run around the same amount of hours as other i know off, and no harm to other parts i can tell.

I had a UPS on my first digital projector, but dropped it like we have not seen a power dropout here for around 10-15 years..
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yup. What did my mother used to tell me.... "If you can't say something nice you shouldn't say anything at all?". Something like that.

That said, I'm still not sure about the UPS thing.

Wink

Kal

Are you still experiencing power fluctuations/outages? If so, with what frequency?

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had exactly one power failure exactly once in a year. It was a one-second brownout, but the projector shut down and threw an error condition. I crossed my fingers, waited 30 minutes for it completely cool, fired it back up and it was all good. The projector now has 475 hours on it, and knock on wood, lamp brightness is still very good. Though I haven't measured it, I'm still running with the iris completely closed on my 96x54 Wilsonart DW, so I'm sure brightness hasn't dropped off more than 20-30%, and I'm sure it's still brighter than was the old G70.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HogPilot"]
kal wrote:
That said, I'm still not sure about the UPS thing.

We're in a new development and have been here exactly two years. We used to see 2-3 second power outages probably once every 2-3 months on average, usually during working hours. Probably something switching over somewhere as they brought new sections of the neighbourhood online (no idea if that makes any sense).

Then about about 2 weeks ago (just before I started this thread) we had a heat wave and 3-4 outages/day including some in the evening, so this started to get me thinking about a UPS.

Haven't had any since then.

Never actually had the power go out while watching the projector.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the outages are happening during the middle of the day when you wouldn't be watching anyways. I personally wouldn't drop that kind of coin in the same situation for my RS55, but that's just me.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It was only when we had a few in the evenings I started to look into it, but since it was a massive heat wave I was only going to consider it if it was cheap ($60-100 at most) since I had my doubts it would be a consistent issue (it hasn't).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a person could add a little circuit with a capacitor and triggering components that would get charged-up during normal operation and bleed-down upon power-off/loss -- running only the cooling fan for just the right amount of time. Wink

If only I could MAKE time to take a few analog circuits courses! I work at university, so engineering classes are "free" for me to take. That is, "free" in the sense that the privilege is "an optional benefit in liu of having a real salary."

cheers,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: