Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Any DIY Spandex screens here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Any DIY Spandex screens here? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone built a spandex screen? I'm intrigued by this cheap approach for AT, but it can't be at the expense of image quality.

Seems the dudes at AVS are using something called White Milliskin.

Steve

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any DIY Spandex screens here? Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:
Anyone built a spandex screen? I'm intrigued by this cheap approach for AT, but it can't be at the expense of image quality.

Seems the dudes at AVS are using something called White Milliskin.

Steve

i built my screen with a wood frame and used aluminum foil(backing) and a sheet works great and is cheep(just not too easy)
scir16v

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a spandex material screen for mine. it seems that it might be a bit dimmer than traditional screen material, but my room is completely dark and it works well. I used 2 types of spandex. A black spandex for a backing, and then a white for the screen.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scir16v wrote:
I did a spandex material screen for mine. it seems that it might be a bit dimmer than traditional screen material, but my room is completely dark and it works well. I used 2 types of spandex. A black spandex for a backing, and then a white for the screen.

The black spandex material is the cause of it being darker then a normal screen I used alumnium foil for a backing on mine and it helps the contrast ratio of the picture
scir16v

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to make sure that it stayed AT though. I only put the black backing in after I saw too much reflection from behind the screen.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scir16v wrote:
I wanted to make sure that it stayed AT though. I only put the black backing in after I saw too much reflection from behind the screen.

yea reflections suck big time

i think i am going to have to redo my screen as it seems that the a foil backing i used is loose(possibly tore loose when i had to lift the screen to get to my sub) and is causing halos around white letters on black backgrounds so i will have to redo it soon as my ecp ships tomorrow (thanks to curt) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and i want the best picture

any suggestions on different material for my 10 foot screen(i know its big) Wink but i like life sized picture
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my first attempt at a stretched fabric spandex screen in place. I chose one layer of black and one layer of matte white millskin material. Results are promising, but I think I need another layer of white, or maybe a layer of silver milliskin behind the white layer. The digital guys usually use the silver for better color and blacks, but I'm guessing the white is needed with the lower light output of the CRT. That and the new screen is 9', which means light output from my 9500 at 50% contrast is not as good as I want it.

Materials used:

796 Milliskin Matte (Black)
795 Milliskin Matte (White)

Acoustic performance, while not measured yet, seems quite good in terms of minal HF attenuation, and no other artifacts to report.

Anyone else gone down this route with DIY spandex screen?

Steve

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big E's route of putting a reflective surface behind the white is interesting, if you weren't trying for AT. As cheap as the spandex is, you could do a layer of white spandex, a layer of reflective silver mylar, and back it up with a layer of black spandex to make sure the mylar stays tight against the white. Wouldn't work at all for AT though.

I'm surprised you don't notice any HF attenuation, Steve. Guess the material is thin/light enough that it doesn't block much.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
big E's route of putting a reflective surface behind the white is interesting, if you weren't trying for AT. As cheap as the spandex is, you could do a layer of white spandex, a layer of reflective silver mylar, and back it up with a layer of black spandex to make sure the mylar stays tight against the white. Wouldn't work at all for AT though.

I'm surprised you don't notice any HF attenuation, Steve. Guess the material is thin/light enough that it doesn't block much.

There is some HF attenuation, maybe 3~6 dB, becoming progressively worse at the highest frequencies, but easily addressable with some eq.

I'm thinking maybe another layer of white or a layer of silver spandex behind the existing layer of white may be the fix. One thing is for sure: Materials are cheap, but labor is significant. Lots and lots of stapling!

Steve

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't think any AT screen could ever get over unity gain unless it had a very high gain coating applied to it originally.
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Interesting. I don't think any AT screen could ever get over unity gain unless it had a very high gain coating applied to it originally.

I'm well below the reflectivity of a no-gain matte white screen. The question is will be how many more layers of white spandex will I need to at least approach that and not suffer too much HF attenuation. I’ll add another layer of white and see how that works out. I’m not sure I want to tackle it with the hand powered stapler into oak, though. What a chore. I need to come up with a better way of securing the fabric than staples. Maybe using hanging weights for uniform tensioning, then a press fitted bead in a groove type for easy removal. Or maybe send it to a seamstress and make some fitted sheets!

Steve

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used an old electric staple gun to mount my BO cloth screen. You can get one for $25-$30 and save your hand...
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to get one. Don't think I'm up for another round with the manual one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: