Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Stewart ST130 Screen Rehab

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Stewart ST130 Screen Rehab Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was fortunate enough to get a steal of a deal on the ST130 Electrimask screen that was posted in the buy/sell section about 2-months ago. Unfortunately, while being shipped it was butchered by Fed-Ex. The frame and components were intact but the black VELUX material that covers the frame borders and masking panels was a total disaster; looked like it had been dragged behind a car.

Thankfully, Mark Robertson and Hideki Okamoto from Stewart were able to supply me with brand new replacement VELUX material and I was able to reupholster the screen. After a bit of a hassle with Fed-Ex they honored my insurance claim and so began the task of bringing the screen back to its original glory. To achieve a factory finish took an incredible amount of time and patience but the results were worth the effort. The screen simply disappears into the back wall; all that is visible is the screen surface and that’s with the lights completely on. My previous screen had masking panels that I fabricated using Duve (Gaffer) tape but having electronic masking really makes the whole process far more immersive.

I was a tad skeptical about making the purchase but Craig Rounds convinced me that the screen would be not only brighter but sharper as well. He was spot on and this modification has really taken my theater to the next level.

Here are the photos pre-rehab

During the middle of the 12-step program;-)

Finally, here is the finished product

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good and I'm glad Stewart sent you the material to refinish the frame and masks. Stewart really is top notch with their customer support. Their screens are also much higher quality than any other brand.

One thing, did the seller ship you the active equalizer for your front speaker? If not, if you ever put your center speaker behind the screen you should get the equalizer from Stewart. The equalizer is tuned to counter act frequency attenuation from the perforated screen material.

Oh yeah... why is your ceiling still white Wink Get that darkened up and I think you will be surprised at how much better your intra-image contrast will get.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have the equalizer. I was trying to find a way to place the speaker behind the screen but at the end of the day I would need to build a false wall and there just isn't enough space to do that. I'm working on that ceiling;-)
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Nice job. I wonder if the butchering of the flocking had more to do with the packing than the shipping. Those are heavy pieces, and the flocking is rather delicate. If I were shipping, I'd wave wrapped each piece individually in paper on the inside and foam on the outside. I don't recall how the new screen parts are wrapped, but that would be my guess.

Detour: Nice LCR750THX's! Those are my speakers! What do you have driving them? Do you have any acoustic treatments? After you get done with all the image improvements, you can circle back around on audio. Moving away from M&K subs to bigger/better subs was a huge upgrade for me. Depends on your room and how you like to listen, though.

Nice work on the screen repairs!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Yes I have the equalizer. I was trying to find a way to place the speaker behind the screen but at the end of the day I would need to build a false wall and there just isn't enough space to do that. I'm working on that ceiling;-)

And those red walls near the screen!! My God!!!! That has to change as well Justin!!!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't know for sure on the packing since Fed-Ex had to re-package the frame. They were going to delay delivery and I instead rented a truck and went to their facility to pick up the frame myself. Hard to know what portion of the original packaging was used and what was total replacement.

Regarding my LCR750's; I drive them with a Carver 705x amp and a Lexicon DC-1. With the room only being 18 x 11 I don't feel I'm lacking any punch across the frontal sound stage. Having said that, if I were to upgrade the sub I would look at this: http://www.kreiselsound.com/subDXD12012.php

Apparently, Ken gives an extremely generous trade in allowance for M&K products. At the end of the day, it's still a good chunk of change that would probably be better spent on accoustical treatments to achieve maximum performance. Our plan is to hopefully move within 2-years therefore I'm trying to tread lightly with modifications to the room. If I knew we were going to stay longer I'd paint the ceiling black tomorrow and start adding wall treatments.

The one area that I feel is weak is the rear surround channels but then again I'm legally deaf in my left ear so I'm sure that doesn't help matters much;-)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

And those red walls near the screen!! My God!!!! That has to change as well Justin!!!

Nashou

If you don't like my choice of color, we'll screw you Razz

In all seriousness, if light control is really the issue then covering the walls with fabric panels we'll be a far better solution than anyting else. Any color paint (perhaps with the exception of matte black) will reflect light to some degree and I don't want my room painted matte black.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: