Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

12 volt trigger for Stewart Electrimask

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: 12 volt trigger for Stewart Electrimask Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The Stewart Electrimask I just picked up was controlled by it's former owner through a 12 volt trigger and his room automation system. I'm looking for some low cost options and since I don't have a master remote controlling everything it will need to have some way to control the masking operation. Any suggestions?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's "low-cost" to you?

- In the "almost-free" category, you could wire up a 12v wall wart and and a switch for about $15-20.

- In the "more" category, many of the mid-range (and up) receivers have 12v trigger outputs. You may already have one.

- In the "not that expensive" category (at least by my standards), for around $150, you could get an iRule Basic license, a Global Caché IP2CC, and the same 12v wall wart as before, and control the masking from the comfort of your seat - along with everything else for that matter - assuming you already have a wifi network and an iOS or Android device. For another $100, you can control everything else in your rack, with feedback. What are you currently using for a remote control? IMHO, a fully-integrated custom remote control is one of the keystones of a dedicated home theater.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that having a dedicated remote would be a nice option I can't see how I could accomplish that easily. For things like selecting a source device, adjusting volume, etc. I could see having a master remote. However, for adjusting Lumagen controls (test pattern warm up, aspect ratio changes, pass through) I don't see how that could be done without significant programming. Furthermore, I have multiple memories in my Marquee (1080p/48, 1080p/60 800p/72, etc.) so it's hard to imagine one remote controlling all of these parameters that would be easy to set up and not cost >$500.

My preamp is a Lexicon DC-1 and it does appear to have a 12v trigger output but I can't find any info in the manual as to how to properly utilize it. The previous owner of the screen told me that I would need up to 5 triggers; 2 each for up/down of lower horizontal masking panel, 2 each for up/down of upper horizontal masking panel and 1 to control the 4:3 vertical side panels.

I'd like to spend <$100 and would prefer a remote to a wall switch. I do have Wi-Fi but don't have an iOS or Android device.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low voltage control unit for the screen has an IR sensor input, therefore I believe all I would need is an IR sensor and a good programmable remote. The question is how do I know which remotes will provide the flexibility required to control the masking panels functions? I don't see any glossary of codes on Stewart's web site.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, if the screen is IR capable, then just use that. You won't have 5 12v triggers. Get me the model of the Stewart screen and I can find the IR codes for you.

I can give you a remote setup that will cost less than $500, but the "easy" thing is relative. Depends how technical you are and how much time you want to spend. It does make it a bit more difficult that you don't have an iOS or Android device, but it's still doable. If you have a network drop in your rack, a Global Caché iTach IP2IR is $100. An iRule Basic license is $50, so that's $150. Grab a like-new used Kindle Fire from Craigslist for $100, and you have a fully customizable touch-panel remote control for $250 - fully half of $500. That would control 4 IR devices with emitters attached, and an IR blaster to catch the 9500 and screen.

If you wanted to really go nuts, upgrade to iRule Pro for $50 more, and you get serial iTach for feedback from the Lexicon ($100). Now you're in for about $400 with full Crestron-style touchpanel control.

The Lumagen is one of the devices that is the reason guys like Ken Whitcomb love iRule. You want a button that says 2:35, make one and add the command. Same for any other button you can dream up. Macro to turn everything off and return the masking with one button press? No problem. It would require a significant time investment, but none of it requires any real "programming" per se.

Let me know if you're interested, and I give you details based on your actual system.

Regardless, I can help you with the IR.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: