Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Home Theater V2 - From beginning to end

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Home Theater V2 - From beginning to end Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Okay. The time has come where the home theater needs a new look. To be honest I never really finished it, I just made the basement tolerable to be in and used it for this purpose. The pictures as you will see show what the current state of the HT is (after some computer removal Wink .)

I just started working on this yesterday, so its going to be a slow going process, pictures will be uploaded when I have the time. This is going to be one of those threads where if you're interested, you'll need patience. Smile

As you can see, it is currently IMO in serious distress. The bench is from way before I thought of installing a home theater, the walls are actually pink Styrofoam spray textured and painted (not bad for a quickie!).

Everything from the ceiling, the Styrofoam walls, and the wall with the XG popping out of it are getting ripped out. A new wall will be installed further back, the bench is getting ripped out, screen will be moving to that wall.

Everything you're going to see in the photos right now is getting redone. The tile floor is the only thing that is staying, and it's going to take some creativity to make the new tile blend in with the existing tile. I know tile isn't the ideal choice for a theater, but I put it in because its super easy maintenance and if needed I could throw some carpet over it, but that probably won't happen.

Oh, and the damn pole you see by the couch is going as well, I will be installing new floor joists where the old ones are, and a bunch of the electrical and plumbing is going to be redone as well. I'll be sure to photo-document everything so none of you miss anything.

It won't be as nice as Kals (It would take some serious work to get that far Razz ) but I think when its done, it will be a much more comfortable room to be in.

If I feel like it sometime tonight, I'll draw up a floor plan sketch of what the new room will be like.

For now, Enjoy the gruesome look of what it currently looks like Very Happy

_MG_0046.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.57 KB
 Viewed:  13238 Time(s)

_MG_0046.JPG

_MG_0047.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.05 KB

_MG_0047.JPG

_MG_0049.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.26 KB

_MG_0049.JPG

_MG_0050.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.37 KB

_MG_0050.JPG

_MG_0051.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.91 KB

_MG_0051.JPG

_MG_0052.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.26 KB

_MG_0052.JPG

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can get pretty far just by throw up a few extra walls of frameing/drywall to separate the HT from the rest of the basement, and de-cluttering. Having the walls will help you keep the 'mess' in the storage area away from the living area.

As an aside, is that XG held in balance with masking tape? Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

As an aside, is that XG held in balance with masking tape? Wink

Kal

Haha, you bet it is! 3M masking tape, it hasn't moved a millimeter Wink

Don't worry, I plan on actually setting everything up properly this time Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks just like a real man cave.. Be carefull that it dont get to feminine.. Wink
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way your XG is sitting reminds me of a big ol' cat lounging on the back of the couch. (cheshire grin )Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, how do you hear anything with that XG right next to your ear!?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Man, how do you hear anything with that XG right next to your ear!?

After the many hours of it sitting next to me, I barely notice it. Since I'm the only one in the house I usually have the volume up where I don't hear the XG except in dead quiet scenes.

YES it IS loud, but that's one of the reasons for redoing the whole room. The projector is in the worst possible spot, but I didn't feel like hanging it since I had planned to redo the room anyway.

To be honest, I am debating on keeping it in the new room, it can't be mounted to the ceiling because of the location the screen will be in, and I'm not too keen on putting it back on the floor.

I may have no alternative in the new room but to use digital projection. the XG won't be going anywhere, I already have a new location for it around the house if I don't use it in the theater.

The Sony pearl that you can barely see hanging because its microscopic compared to the XG, will probably be what I'm going to use until I decide what newer digital PJ I can tolerate using.

For now, let the interesting comments on the XG mounting system continue Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how tall is the basement? And the room's dimensions?

Any other entry access to the furnace/laundry room?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
So how tall is the basement? And the room's dimensions?

Any other entry access to the furnace/laundry room?

Unfortunately ceiling height is the major downfall of my basement, its 6 feet high, and that's not counting the drywall that will be hung.

Total basement dimensions are 24x14, the home theater section will be 14x?? I say ?? because I'm not quite sure where I want the wall to go yet. My whole basement is about 30 years out of date as far as electrical wiring/plumbing/heating & cooling goes.

This is going to be a whole basement project, the goal is to replace nearly everything (short of the electronics for the HT Wink ) in the basement with new, modern, up to date equipment. Tankless wall mounted water heater, newer furnace, new washer & dryer (those are due any day for replacement now).

The floor needs to be leveled in the "utility" section so I can tile the floor, etc etc....

Its quite over whelming right now since everything is still the old setup, and theres so much crap in the way in the floor joists that needs to be moved (plumbing wiring etc...) so new floor joists can be installed.

I'm probably going to throw some more pictures up tomorrow showing the beginning of the demo down there, and my sketchup of what I have thought out for the new design of the HT section.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting here and there. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm guessing the utilities and laundry are getting lined up across the back wall? The av rack is going under the stairs and the screen goes under the waste lines (hidden in a soffit).
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to do with the support poles holding up the ceiling/floor above?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masking tape - really??
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: