Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PS3 YLOD

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: PS3 YLOD Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My PS3 (60GB I think) bit it this weekend, apparently with the dreaded Yellow Light of Death. Touch the power-on button and the lights go green, blue, yellow, flashing red.

What's the current recommendation for this? This site says you can only reflow it, and that will help temporarily. I'd like a better fix if it's not too expensive. Any suggestions?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: PS3 YLOD Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
My PS3 (60GB I think) bit it this weekend, apparently with the dreaded Yellow Light of Death. Touch the power-on button and the lights go green, blue, yellow, flashing red.

What's the current recommendation for this? This site says you can only reflow it, and that will help temporarily. I'd like a better fix if it's not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Your best option is to re-ball it, make sure you have the 19 blade fan, change out the power supply for the cooler running version, PSU APS-231, add a couple of washers under the screws to allow for better air flow, and change the heat sink compound to diamond paste. Run it vertically with an external fan too. Just in case.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/The-PSU-APS-231-debate-To-change-or-not-to/td-p/30453148

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

EDIT: they also recommend new thermal pads.

Also found these guys that will do a complete repair and modification. I've never tried them just thought I'd pass it along though: http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/ps3_repair/upgrades.html#x

Contact Information

Phone: 1-314-669-9592
Email: support@endlesselectronics.org
Address:
315 Lemay Ferry Rd. Ste. 105
Saint Louis, MO 63125
Hours:
9 am - 6 pm (CST) Monday - Friday

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Looks like a bigger job than I feel like tackling. My son says he knows a repair place in town that fixes YLOD -- I'll see what they want for it.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there is a PS3 thread here... Does anyone know how a PS3 Fatboy behaves when the disc (blu ray) drive stops working? I have one in for repair, it comes on, lights up the LED normal, the goes back to red and blinks and beeps. I have been told that its a disc drive issue, but would be nice to know for sure since I don't have any cables for the thing (and yet I am supposed to repair it somehow O_o Wink
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW guys, check with Sony, but I think they have a trade in program for defective old PS3s to upgrade to a slim model for cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: