Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What IS the best Sony Direct view CRT TV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: What IS the best Sony Direct view CRT TV? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering while reading everyones topics, what is the best Sony CRT TV available? I have read, read, and re read that the KD-34XBR960 is overall the best widescreen CRT Direct view TV made by sony, but is there a 4:3 version or another 16:9 version that would be superior to this?

I have a KD-34XBR970 and most consider it a joke that Sony even made it an XBR, since it lacks a few key features that are in XBR Televisions.

Just curious, because if a good 960 came along, I would probably nab it up Smile

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 910 in 30" or 34"

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Endymion

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your criteria, I think. Size? This seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Widescreen is valued as well, but to be real for a moment, widescreen CRTs were never honestly as tight as the 4:3 screens. Geometry issued abound, even with the Sony Trinitron sets. Because of the way that the electron beam is sprayed from left to right, widescreens require a more eccentric beam deflection when all of the electrons that strike the screen come from the same point at the rear, this means that there is generally less detail farther from the center. With 4:3 televisions this problem was minimized, and perfected to a point that the variance from the centre was indistinguishable. With widescreens, this just isn't possible, and the technology didn't live long enough for workarounds and fixes to be designed. With the abuse that older televisions, CRTs especially, tend to be subjected to, these kinds of faults are generally compounded over time.

At any rate, the KD-34XBR960, KD-34XS955, KD-30XS955, and KV-30XBR910 I have seen as highly regarded. Most folks tout the Super Fine Pitch display, over the HiScan display of the others. But for my money I would prefer a KV-40XBR800, even with its 4:3 screen. Think about it. This is a 4:3 screen, which means it does not suffer the extreme deflection angle that the widescreen electron guns need to do. And because it is a H U G E 40 inches at its standard 4:3 resolution, if you really need 16:9 for your purposes, the image that you have with this same screen is larger than the largest widescreen already mentioned in this thread at all of 36 or 37" or so. And the real upside is that it suffers none of the geometry problems that its younger widescreen cousins have, even when used in this widescreen mode.

It's also built like a tank, nearly weighing as much as one, all but guaranteeing that it will never be stolen, I'm unsure if this means you'll qualify for lower home insurance though. The 36" 4:3 models have comparable widescreen viewing areas to the widescreen Trinitrons that Sony marketed and don't have the geometry problems either, but that 40 incher is a wonderful dragon to behold, no matter how you choose to use it.

Last edited by Endymion on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PVM or even more so a BVM will blow them all away. But then an XM29 will be a Sony PVM killer too....

Why stick with Sony? Philips Pixel Plus sets have a better image than a Sony in my opinion.
Endymion

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to find a PVM that hasn't been used, abused, put through a wringer and hung out to dry like an old condom in a parking lot though. Even the best condition PVM I used personally, a 2530 back in the day, couldn't hold a candle to the newer tubes, not just the Sonys either. I have a couple of LG tubes that are much nicer than it was by a mile. It developed a topcurl about ten years in, took it to the bin without hesitation. I have an NEC XM-29 and it's a fine broadcast monitor, but takes the back seat next to my Mitsubishi Megaview XC2935C, WAY more inputs, WAY more resolutions supported, all the way up to 1600x1200. But they are both still just 27" screens. I won't be letting them go while they're functional, but when you start talking about equipment marketed to professionals, your resources dry up really fast. Everything at this point is either coveted by those who still require them, so they just aren't letting it go period (i.e. Me) or what's left is sparsely populated across the planet and with an unreasonable pricetag to boot, particularly when you inspect for the condition. Most people would not know where to look just to find broadcast monitors like those. Meanwhile, people are dumping perfectly good consumer televisions on isolated streets, just to free up space in their living rooms.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
A PVM or even more so a BVM will blow them all away. But then an XM29 will be a Sony PVM killer too....

Why stick with Sony? Philips Pixel Plus sets have a better image than a Sony in my opinion.

Never seen a Phillips around here past 1994

CRT.

HD done right!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import one, theyre better sets. But youll have to learn how to spell it first Wink
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony made the nicest looking CRT displays IMO, and as far as what im considering the "best CRT" I am going by overall picture quality eg; sharpness, color, resolution, etc...

I mentioned the KD-34XBR960 because it uses a Super Fine Pitch (SFP) tube which I have heard blows away a tube without it. The 910 I think also uses the SFP tube.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import one, theyre better sets. But youll have to learn how to spell it first Wink

That's the British spelllling like Lloyds Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

Sony made the nicest looking CRT displays IMO, and as far as what im considering the "best CRT" I am going by overall picture quality eg; sharpness, color, resolution, etc...

I mentioned the KD-34XBR960 because it uses a Super Fine Pitch (SFP) tube which I have heard blows away a tube without it. The 910 I think also uses the SFP tube.

If thats what you want to believe Wink

Any 43"-64" rear pro CRT with HD capability and P16s will flog it to death hands down, but thats my opinion Laughing

But back to single tubes, ive got a Pixel Plus here, 80cm 16:9 with a dead flat CRT, when using RGB inputs ( which the Sonys ive seen didnt have ) i reckon the 1920x1080i image was sharper and better convergence in the corners.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

If thats what you want to believe Wink

Any 43"-64" rear pro CRT with HD capability and P16s will flog it to death hands down, but thats my opinion Laughing

But back to single tubes, ive got a Pixel Plus here, 80cm 16:9 with a dead flat CRT, when using RGB inputs ( which the Sonys ive seen didnt have ) i reckon the 1920x1080i image was sharper and better convergence in the corners.

I have no doubt that a Rear pro with some nice tubes could od far better, I'll agree to that any day of the week. One should only expect so much from a single tube. But considering its a smaller screen so the scanlines are considerably closer than on a rear pro, it gives the impression of being sharper.

A company here in the USA, TigerDirect, used to sell professional CRT monitors in the 24-34" screen sizes. I sure wish I would have kept a couple of the catalogs I had from them since they had a few pages of professional CRT displays back then.

Oh, I forgot to mention, they also had the first gen LCD panels in there too, anyone feel like paying $999 for a 17" 34ms LCD monitor? Laughing

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I have no doubt that a Rear pro with some nice tubes could od far better, I'll agree to that any day of the week. One should only expect so much from a single tube. But considering its a smaller screen so the scanlines are considerably closer than on a rear pro, it gives the impression of being sharper.

I totally agree, but I'll go even a step further... One of the most gorgeous HD pictures I've ever laid eyes on was OTA from PBS and Jay Leno when OTA was very new in my area. I supposed it was probably in the 2002 ballpark. I was piping the OTA picture from a MyHD card in a nice spanky new HP Windows XP P4 box onto a Sony FW900 24" graphics grade CRT.

I think the FW900 might be the best multiscan graphics grade CRT Sony ever made. Holy sh*t, HD was gorgeous on that thing. I had to let go of that monitor a few years later, so I never got to see HD DVD or BD on it, but I would like to have, because unlike even a good 9" CRT, the FW900 was tack sharp - like digital sharp - at 1920x1080. Hell, the thing was sharp even at 2048x1536... It was practically loafing at 1080p.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

I totally agree, but I'll go even a step further... One of the most gorgeous HD pictures I've ever laid eyes on was OTA from PBS and Jay Leno when OTA was very new in my area. I supposed it was probably in the 2002 ballpark. I was piping the OTA picture from a MyHD card in a nice spanky new HP Windows XP P4 box onto a Sony FW900 24" graphics grade CRT.

I think the FW900 might be the best multiscan graphics grade CRT Sony ever made. Holy sh*t, HD was gorgeous on that thing. I had to let go of that monitor a few years later, so I never got to see HD DVD or BD on it, but I would like to have, because unlike even a good 9" CRT, the FW900 was tack sharp - like digital sharp - at 1920x1080. Hell, the thing was sharp even at 2048x1536... It was practically loafing at 1080p.

SC

I'll say it again. I need 9 FW900's

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I'll say it again. I need 9 FW900's

...And a very strong back and an even stronger desk to put them on. Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: