Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Dune players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tom - I am curious why you bought a Dune when you had the Oppo for ISO.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the Oppo 93 lost ISO support in a firmware update (I never personally loaded) but regardless the Dune is a nice piece of work !

When you need to organize and provide easy access and storage space for 800+ movies and growing it seems like a good choice... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new problem rears it's ugly head Crying or Very sad So I fully load up two WD 2TB drives and I plug them into the Dune HDDuo via USB and all looks fine. I can see the files and watch them fine.

So I pull the two drives out of there external enclosures to remove parking but when I put the drives inside the Dune the Dune reports "File system not recognized" and wants to reformat the drive ? Any ideas as the drives are formatted for MBR and NTFS. Does the dune only use GPT partitioning with internal drives and if so why would you use GPT for a 2TB drive ? Confused
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be due to this ?

http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/

Not too sure what to do with this....

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=805 Confused
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with Mike at Dune USA support Friday. Because the WD drives use advance formatting and I created the drives using XP ,using the external enclosures USB port, the drives need to be reformatted using an eSATA port and windows 7 for the Dune internal drives to work...

Since I only have laptops It looks like now I'm going to build an NAS server with windows 7 as I already have several 3 and 2 WD Green drives.

Craig would you still recommend this enclosure ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815017

Last edited by Tom.W on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a PITA!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Wow what a PITA!

Live and learn but I still love the dune player just not the compatibility issues with formatting the Dune internal drives.... Confused
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Wow what a PITA!

Live and learn but I still love the dune player just not the compatibility issues with formatting the Dune internal drives.... Confused

Yeah I can relate to that. If one of the drives in my Pioneer DVD recorders die I'll have to buy a remote from Pioneer. They use a last generation Linux file system that they MODIFIED and apparently did not release to the public. To top that off there are several different service remotes for these too and, of course, the one I ordered off eBay was the wrong one Confused

Live and learn right.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Talked with Mike at Dune USA support Friday. Because the WD drives use advance formatting and I created the drives using XP ,using the external enclosures USB port, the drives need to be reformatted using an eSATA port and windows 7 for the Dune internal drives to work...

Since I only have laptops It looks like now I'm going to build an NAS server with windows 7 as I already have several 3 and 2 WD Green drives.

Craig would you still recommend this enclosure ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815017

Well, I have never actually seen that case, I just thought that I would have liked to try it over the one that I went with.

Incidentally, would you want to buy my case from the server for your build? I posted a while back that I bought a HUGE new case that is going to be my next server. I could migrate all my stuff over and free up the case for you.

Let me know.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange. The WDC software included with most Western Digital USB-based drives have a formatting tool to make them XP compatible and to allow one huge 3TB partition that can be made for NTFS.

I discovered the problem a while back and thankfully I managed to overcome the issue. But, I had to remove the content before reformatting.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but the Dune does not recognize the format. WD appears to be using a few tricks (non standard) to make the drive back compatible with XP.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spoke with Craig yesterday (thanks Craig !)and he recommended I connect to the network via Ethernet and format the drive in the Dune. Then transfer the files using teracopy. The good news is I was able view the Dune internal hard drive on my PC but the bad news is the transfer rate is only 1-1.5 MB per second and the drive that I'm copying is 3 TB.

Unless I'm doing something wrong at that transfer rate according to teracopy it will take 28 days... Shocked

Once I see the Dune on my computer can I use USB ?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

That doesn't seem correct. If you try and play a BD movie across the network (from PC > Dune), does it play without problems?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at this point it will take another hour for the first SD movie to copy to the Dune, to see if its working, so its kind of tied up at the moment. My transfer rate over USB was 29 MBs.

Craig do I have this right that my PC needs to be connected to the router via ethernet and also ethernet to the dune to copy the files to the dune or once my laptop sees the Dune HDD can I connect my PC directly to the Dune using USB and then transfer the files ?

Or can I just connect the PC directly to the dune via ethernet ? When I try that my PC sees the Dune HDD but when I try to transfer the files I get a teracopy error saying the target folder is not available.

I did transfer one file and I was able to see it on the Dune and it plays fine but at the 1.5 mb transfer rate....
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB is not an option.

You can connect the DUNE directly to the PC. I think you use a standard Ethernet cable, but you might need a "crossover" cable. Neither your PC nor the DUNE is an HDCP server so you will need to manually configure the network. On the DUNE set your IP address to 192.168.1.100 and on the PC set your IP address to 192.168.1.101. For both the DUNE and PC set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. No other parameters need to be specified except that the workgroup name is the same on both. Connect the two and give them a couple minutes to detect eachother.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: