Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Darbeevision
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Mike,
I think your the second CRT owner to give his impressions. Boiler didn't care for it, but you apparently love it. There is no right or wrong in this equation. The nice thing about the Darblet is you can choose what level you want the Darblet set at. In your case, you like it higher whereas some prefer a much lower setting.

I haven't seen this thing myself, but I am really interested in it. If I have any money left over from this f$%$king money pit, then I am going to pull the trigger.
alternety

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else having the problem I am with only brief picture/sound every second or two?

One other factor I can throw out. My receiver is HDMI 1.3. I have no 3d sources connected. Have no idea if this is relevant, but I am just hunting for a possible cause.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can your receiver be updated with firm ware? It might need an update.

But did you try it before the Receiver?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
alternety

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No firmware updates. Before the receiver is fine.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternety wrote:
No firmware updates. Before the receiver is fine.

Well if the Darbee before the receiver works fine, then it is something the receiver is doing or not doing when trying to read the HDCP key down stream.

Your receiver has an HDMI info menu page.

Look on Page 49 section 1 of your manual.

With the darbee after the receiver what does the info page say for
the Video info?

Thats why I say it might be a Firmware update but not sure if Denon even has one. I tried to look in the manual but its not there.

there are lots of HDMI options in there like direct mode etc. Might be one of them is affecting it.

So if you use direct mode try turning it off.

So try both of those things.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: This review has some pretty good pictures available with 25%, 50%, and 75% enhancement, including a video:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-darbee-darblet-review

Then once you're ready to order, go here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Darbee.shtm Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
phillyguy83

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents:

I decided to take the plunge and buy one of these things through this site. I'm running a Marquee 8500 with some HD mods (thanks Dragan) and the first-generation Moome HDMI card (the one with the component inputs as a second option). I use a PS3 as my blu-ray player, and I run the signal directly from that to the Darbee and then to the projector.

The difference is like night and day.

The Darbee does two things, at least for me. It adds both depth and sharpness to the picture. No problems at all with pixellation, unless you crank it up way too high. I've read in more than one place about how it "lifts the veil" from the picture, and I agree completely with that analogy. The picture looks clearer and deeper. Now that I have it, I can't imagine going back.

As far as settings go, for regular DVDs that are upconverted to 720p, I find it's best to set it around 35-40%. For blu-rays running at 1080p, it varies. Some look best with it set around 55%, whereas others get maximum quality around 75% (or somewhere in between).

Basically, I think it's worth every dollar I spent on it.
Malakay

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a german dealer who will sell these devices?

Atm i didnt see any improvement that my OPPO BluRay player cant do with build in enhancements. With a germany dealer i can compare the results directly and sent it back if the picture is not much better Smile

Scaler: Lumagen Radiance XS+ (Color Management / Framerate Conversion)

BluRay: OPPO BDP-93EU / Sat: VU+ plus Duo2

PreAmp: Denon AVR-X4000 / Amps: Front L/R: Korsun v6i / Surr/BSurr: Denon AVC-A1 / Sub: Behringer EPX2800

Speaker: Teufel 6.1
incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: This is interesting Reply with quote

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-darbee-darblet-review

A quick review of the Darbee for anyone interested.

kabuby77

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakay wrote:
Is there a german dealer who will sell these devices?

You can buy from the italian if you want.
alternety

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some posts a while back with a Darbee not working in my system. I have it running now, and I like it. My wife was even impressed by the results and she does not really care all that much about TV pictures.

The problem is that it will not interface with my receiver in any way. I tried multiple configurations, receiver settings, and many different cable lengths. My guess remains an issue with HDMI. The receiver is 1.3a compatible. I suspect that the Darbee does not enter into a suitable mode to deal with legacy HDMI. Thanks to you guys that made suggestions.

The only way to make it work is to run it directly from the cable box to the Darbee and then the TV. I have no idea what the HDMI protocol standard the cable box implements; but it works. Then take the TOSLINK fiber cable from the TV to the receiver for 5.1 audio. I will probably get one of the Panasonic Bluray players that have a separate HDMI port just for audio. At this point I have to presume that the player can accommodate interfacing to an older HDMI standard. If not, I will not be able to get full audio capabilities without a new receiver. Which I would prefer not to do. Spending many $100s to replace effectively just a small part of a receiver just to get it to use audio formats that it can indeed handle. Dennon and other vendors I feel gave consumers a rather bad shake by not being able to update what was then a very volatile standard. I don't necessarily expect them to be able to change electrical interfaces; but protocols - absolutely. Certainly a small replaceable sub-assembly could have implemented the upgrade capability. But they didn't.

Adding an HTC or a game console to the mix will require an external switch and be limited to 5.1 audio.

I need to get something to coordinate switching between devices at the TV, receiver, cable box control, receiver volume control, and switch.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't understand the fascination with this thing. Several of my clients have one and I have a sample here that I have used on the G90. I just don't get it. Why do people want something in the video chain that adds apparent details to an image that doesn't originally have said "details."

To me no veils are lifted. It's more like a layer of fine mesh is put over the image and obstructing what's underneath. I guess I can see it with cable or SAT, but on BD no way. On the G90 I think it looks best set to around level 25 or less. At that level it’s hard to tell a difference in the image at all and I think that’s why I like it best.

A couple of my clients have one of their JVC projectors and there I like it a little better than on a CRT, but I still don’t like it. I really really really can’t see how anyone can stand it set above level 40 because the amount of artifacts is just ugly at that point. If you can’t see the artifacts than good for you, but I can see them clear as day and find them incredibly distracting.

Also, if you are running custom resolutions on your CRT (1080p 72Hz, 818p...) the Darbee can't deal with it. It seems only standard resolution timings are supported. So if you use custom resolutions than you have to put the Darbee inline with your source before the VP. The new Lumagen processors will not have this problem because of the built in Darbee, but the stand alone product does.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternety wrote:
I had some posts a while back with a Darbee not working in my system. I have it running now, and I like it. My wife was even impressed by the results and she does not really care all that much about TV pictures.

The problem is that it will not interface with my receiver in any way. I tried multiple configurations, receiver settings, and many different cable lengths. My guess remains an issue with HDMI. The receiver is 1.3a compatible. I suspect that the Darbee does not enter into a suitable mode to deal with legacy HDMI. Thanks to you guys that made suggestions.

The only way to make it work is to run it directly from the cable box to the Darbee and then the TV. I have no idea what the HDMI protocol standard the cable box implements; but it works. Then take the TOSLINK fiber cable from the TV to the receiver for 5.1 audio. I will probably get one of the Panasonic Bluray players that have a separate HDMI port just for audio. At this point I have to presume that the player can accommodate interfacing to an older HDMI standard. If not, I will not be able to get full audio capabilities without a new receiver. Which I would prefer not to do. Spending many $100s to replace effectively just a small part of a receiver just to get it to use audio formats that it can indeed handle. Dennon and other vendors I feel gave consumers a rather bad shake by not being able to update what was then a very volatile standard. I don't necessarily expect them to be able to change electrical interfaces; but protocols - absolutely. Certainly a small replaceable sub-assembly could have implemented the upgrade capability. But they didn't.

Adding an HTC or a game console to the mix will require an external switch and be limited to 5.1 audio.

I need to get something to coordinate switching between devices at the TV, receiver, cable box control, receiver volume control, and switch.

A moome MUX-HD(VF-01) would be perfect for you.

It FIrst off eliminates HDCP problems so everything HDMI just works.

It is a video format converter, so it will convert RGB,4:4:4, 4:4:2, etc to and from each other. All color
spaces are included. It has HDMI audio and Toslink outs. it has 4 HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs.

I Think it is the one piece of Home theater equipment everyone should have. HDMI/HDCP Sucks. This fixes it all.

Oreder page link

http://www.moomecard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=22

Athanasios

VF01_v01.pdf
 Description:
MUX-HD(VF01)

Download
 Filename:  VF01_v01.pdf
 Filesize:  391.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1000 Time(s)

One Smart Dog!!!

alternety

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. If I were to spend that much, I would probably just look for a deal on a new receiver.

Most of the solutions I have found cost enough to really push me toward a new receiver. The most significant negative of that (and most solutions) is HDCP 2.0. I need to, look into what that spec is going to do. So far I have not seen details. I don't want to be obsolete in a year.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
To counter your point, I would say the MTF of CRTs sux, so maybe you aren't getting all of the original detail to begin with.

Like I said earlier, there is no correct answer. It depends on what the person likes. With a money back guarantee, I may still give it a go.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it and let us know what you think.

Link to order: http://www.curtpalme.com/Darbee.shtm

In stock and shipping. You'll have it in a few days.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Craig,
To counter your point, I would say the MTF of CRTs sux, so maybe you aren't getting all of the original detail to begin with.

Like I said earlier, there is no correct answer. It depends on what the person likes. With a money back guarantee, I may still give it a go.

When you get setup let me know and I can send you one to borrow if you want.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Craig,

Exactly.

Asking why somebody would use one of these is like asking why anyone would turn the treble or bass knob one way or the other. For that matter, it's like asking why anyone would listen at anything other than reference level. We all have different systems, different eyes, different preferences. I have no problem with this at all.

I bristle at the notion that a G90 is somehow 'transparent', too. Primaries, greyscale tracking, and gamma may all be spot-on, but that's all. As Spanky pointed out, MTF is certainly less than stellar (I'm being kind), and brightness may or may not be optimal, depending on screen size and material.

Then there's source material... It's not as if all source material is all created with the same tender loving care. Some transfers are less stellar than others.

I'm all for the scientific approach to calibrating the display chain, but I also have an open mind. Once a signal chain is calibrated, there's no reason that a user can't tweak something to suit his/her taste... Just like the volume knob, or the bass/treble knob.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Go for it and let us know what you think.

Link to order: http://www.curtpalme.com/Darbee.shtm

In stock and shipping. You'll have it in a few days.

Kal

For my two cents worth, I recently took advantage of the "Mini/Darblet" special and with my CRT, to me based on my viewing experience to date, the irony of the Darblet in its usage is that the better the source material the more effective it is! With less than good quality video, in my opinion, it just accentuates the flaws further and will add artifacts much like boosting up the sharpness control to the extreme on your display.

Pop in a good quality BD disc and it works very well. For eg. in "Skyfall" Judy Dench(M) would not be too happy with her close-ups as when activated, the Darblet really accentuates her wrinkles. Just to check, I dropped the "Video Essentials" test disc in to my BDP105 and found when in "HiDef" mode, in terms of additional unwanted interference, even when boosted up considerably, it added very little to the picture. I would certainly recommend it, however, once again, with the proviso, the better the video, the better the performance.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the OPPO 103D, and have spent some time playing with the Darbee, i prefer it turned off.

And thats both on CRT and Digital projector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: