Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Acoustic Transparency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
WanMan wrote:
Hog, years ago at a home theater meet I was asked to explain what DLP rainbows were. I explained it to this gentleman, and then he observed them on a Sim2 projector. He then asked, "How do I now stop seeing them?" I thought to myself, 'I hadn't thought about that' and shrugged and walked away.

Now you are describing how one could potential see sparkles in the XD woven material. Guess what? Next time I'm down in my theater I'm going to be looking for those damn sparkles.

Haha, sorry about that. I guess that's one of the drawbacks of forums such as this - people bring otherwise unnoticeable issues to our attention, and next thing you know we're nitpicking over 20 different problems with a display's image instead of just sitting back and enjoying the show.

I will say this: the best single-chip DLP I've seen to date ONLY in terms of lack of rainbows is my little cheapo Acer K330 LED. If I really try hard, I can induce rainbows, but barely; however it was possible on rare occasions to see them briefly during regular viewing. IMO, the "sparkles" on XD fabric is significantly less noticeable than that. I really, really have to look for them, and not once did I ever see them when I wasn't trying to look for them. Granted, this was with a 20"x20" piece of test fabric up on my screen, but personally I found the fabric texture far more distracting than the sparkles, and only because my viewing distance is what most would consider ridiculously close (about 0.8x screen widths). My 20/15 vision doesn't help either Smile

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Hog, years ago at a home theater meet I was asked to explain what DLP rainbows were. I explained it to this gentleman, and then he observed them on a Sim2 projector. He then asked, "How do I now stop seeing them?" I thought to myself, 'I hadn't thought about that' and shrugged and walked away.

Now you are describing how one could potential see sparkles in the XD woven material. Guess what? Next time I'm down in my theater I'm going to be looking for those damn sparkles.

HA HA! Yep. Only 6 months ago or so I finally asked someone how to see the halos my AC machine produces -- I was simply oblivious of what I should see. Well, the explanation was a Damn-it-all pill for sure: now a halo will distract me during the odd movie every now and again. Ignorance isn't bliss, but sure does make my system's shortcomings easier to live with!

Sometimes I think all AV equipment junkies should spend 2hours a year watching something unwatchable by modern standards...1990 SD quailty, etc. Being grateful is being thankful for what we have.

gratefully,
Matt
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

HA HA! Yep. Only 6 months ago or so I finally asked someone how to see the halos my AC machine produces -- I was simply oblivious of what I should see. Well, the explanation was a Damn-it-all pill for sure: now a halo will distract me during the odd movie every now and again. Ignorance isn't bliss, but sure does make my system's shortcomings easier to live with!

Sometimes I think all AV equipment junkies should spend 2hours a year watching something unwatchable by modern standards...1990 SD quailty, etc. Being grateful is being thankful for what we have.

gratefully,
Matt

Agreed! I get a mild irritation when a college kid gets upset with receiving help on his pj install. I feel like saying I had a 19" TV w/o VCR and was damn happy to have that. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: