Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rent my EyeOne Display 3 PRO and Chromapure. $40 a week
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mycatisretarded

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Rent my EyeOne Display 3 PRO and Chromapure. $40 a week Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just throwing this thought out there for consideration......

Would anyone be interested in renting my EyeOne Display 3 PRO and Chromapure for say $40 per week?
Is it legal to rent software?
Would the admin of this forum allow me to do this?

I haven't actually bought the meter and Chromapure yet but realllllly want to. It is just not in my budget right now- but thought I might be able to make it work by renting the unit. Good Idea or not?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that charging to allow people to borrow your ChromaPure Standard software and meter would be in violation of the licence agreement.

Since you are doing this for profit, it may be ok if you were to purchase ChromaPure Professional software (which is considerably more expensive, defeating the purpose of what you're trying to do in the first place).

I've let Tom of ChromaPure know about this thread so that he can comment.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting the software/meter is a violation of your license agreement.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Thought that was probably the case. dc
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Tom nipped that in the bud pretty quick
mycatisretarded

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rental service could be a nice income source for someone. I'm sure there are lots of hobbyists like myself that have a hard time justifying the expense of purchasing a meter and software. Personally I would pay to rent a calibrated unit.
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the software on a cheap laptop and have that go with the meter. Problem solved.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, renting isn't a good service to offer, neither for the renting componany, or for the customer.

Calibration is not a one time thing. It needs to be done periodically so most people want to own the meter.

The logistics of renting are not easy: You need to charge full price up front which not everyone wants to do. The meter also needs to tweaked or recalibrated once returned since if you were to (say) rent a Display 3 PRO, you'd want to it be as accurate as if it was just recalibrated to PRO setting. That is a lot of work for "only" a rental fee, so the rental fee would have to be reasonably high.

The customer would most likely also be someone new calibration, so more support would likely be required. Since renting is time limited, the customer would expect some sort of response time so that they minimize their payment. That adds extra work to the renting company.

Lastly, out of the thousands of emails and messages we've gotten about buying meters, I think yours is only the second asking about a rental service. I don't think people are generally interested.

All 2 cents!

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to disagree with Kal. I think there would be a lot of people that would rather rent a meter once a year instead of buying.

By the way, Spectracal rents meters.
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/c6-calibration-rental-kit.html
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know I suppose... If there's enough interest, Tom might start doing it well.

Kal

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am going to disagree with Kal. I think there would be a lot of people that would rather rent a meter once a year instead of buying.

I agree with this. The only portion of my set up that I outsourced was greyscale/color calibration. I couldn't justify the cost of buying a unit, having to learn how to use it and then performing the calibration. Renting a unit once per year would be a nice alternative, especially considering that new software and hardware are always being offered.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider rental too. Wouldn't use it enough to justify outright purchase.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are woosies! Wink Calibrating is a piece of cake and sooo much fun. I love doing it and the re doing it again.

Pff...Light weights. Very Happy

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Calibrating is a piece of cake and sooo much fun. I love doing it and the re doing it again.

Sorry, but watching movies is even easier and even more fun.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Calibrating is a piece of cake and sooo much fun. I love doing it and the re doing it again.

SC

Not on an un-calibrated display Wink It's more fun watching movies on a display that you just calibrated! Wink

lol

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

SC

Not on an un-calibrated display Wink It's more fun watching movies on a display that you just calibrated! Wink

lol

Athanasios

If the Marquee would have an AKB circuit... Very Happy

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

I agree with this. The only portion of my set up that I outsourced was greyscale/color calibration. I couldn't justify the cost of buying a unit, having to learn how to use it and then performing the calibration. Renting a unit once per year would be a nice alternative, especially considering that new software and hardware are always being offered.

I didn't mention this, but you touched on it. Renting allows you to have the latest software and hardware. Most important is the hardware is within spec.
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like how I like my women, short term rental. Laughing

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

I am going to agree with you, Spanky, though I wouldn't argue Kal's points about difficulties for the rental provider. I think those are significant.

But from a user's perspective, renting makes far more sense than buying. I should know, I've bought 3 meters over the years, and I'm sure every one of them is out of spec at this point in time. None of them really got enough use to justify their purchase. So I've got a lot of money tied up in stuff that just sits around unused most of the time. That's part of being a techno-nerd, but it's difficult to cost-justify.

The only proviso I'd make is this experience is based on my CRT calibrations, which tend to hold pretty well. If and when I wind up with a digital PJ, their changes in bulb spectral output (over relatively short periods of usage) may well mandate more frequent recalibrations. Which frankly, if that is the case, it would count as a negative against them in my book, both in net cost and effort. Rentals would help alleviate that extra cost factor.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll throw a +1 on the rental idea.... priced at the point the OP mentioned would ensure repeat business too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: