Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Best way to remove image persistence on plasmas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Best way to remove image persistence on plasmas? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering what some of you might think the best way to remove image burn on Plasmas is? I have a plasma here that has some color icon burn in from a computer signal, and so far I've been using the all white method where I just leave a white screen up for as long as needed.

While that works, I am curious if there is a better way to do it? Last time I did the all white method it took a week of white screen to remove some ESPN burn in along the bottom of a Vizio. So I am curious if there is a faster/better method?

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to remove image persistence on plasmas? Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Just wondering what some of you might think the best way to remove image burn on Plasmas is? I have a plasma here that has some color icon burn in from a computer signal, and so far I've been using the all white method where I just leave a white screen up for as long as needed.

While that works, I am curious if there is a better way to do it? Last time I did the all white method it took a week of white screen to remove some ESPN burn in along the bottom of a Vizio. So I am curious if there is a faster/better method?

As an informational point, the mechanisms behind image retention (IR) vs burn-in on plasmas are completely different. Burn-in is the result of uneven aging of the phosphors, which results in some pixels producing less light than the surrounding pixels given a particular APL. Burn-in is permanent. Image retention is (IIRC) the result of MgO sputtering, which causes electrons to be deposited in adjacent cells, leading to a visible after-image. IR is completely reversible. Both result from static images being left on a plasma, but what actually causes them is almost completely different. Pioneer plasmas seem to have the most resistance to IR, followed by Panasonic, and the Samsung/LG having the least resistance.

To answer your question, you're just as likely to remove IR from normal, full-screen viewing of normal material (without static logos and such) as you are from a full-white screen or a "wipe" video. I haven't seen any data that indicates that there is any method that's capable of removing IR from a display faster than any other. Of course, if you're leaving a full white screen or wipe video going while you're not normally using your TV, it would disappear quicker than just through normal use. If your plasma has an orbiter function, I'd highly recommend turning that on, as that will help prevent IR from ocurring in the future, even with static logos.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: