Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

looking for a kloss 1000 or 1000a videobeam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crt projectors

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'll post some pics when set is calibrated and converged, yes outdated but almost a legend and myth as none are really surviving with original screen. NOT real soft and fuzzy image --as unit has wide band color band demodulation and advanced comb filter for a clear picture, that info and other is available in 1000A manual. Those initial previous pics I posted were when set needs service and calibration and shown with some room light. Thant's great Kal you do HD. You know many people claim anyone using a 3 lens CRT projector is outdated and the owner isn't in their right mind also. At least plan on using 1 PJ for movie watching, and two for display for standby . Most of these have been discarded, the few remaining should be preserved.

Rolling Eyes

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you wish you could save every one of them? I always hate leaving stuff like this when I find it. It's sad....

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
novabeam

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: vintage kloss novabeam model one for sale Reply with quote

Original Model One KLOSS NovaBeam projector with original large curved screen and remote control for sale in Pleasant Hill, California.

This unit has been modified into a coffee table, with wooden sides and glass top.

Comes with original remote, and a copy of the owners (not service) manual.
It has composite video and RF inputs, with one internal speaker. It has a built in tuner, and two other inputs.

It appears to be in good working condition and was tested with cable, VHS and DVD signals.

$400 cash or best offer.
uwanna

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a curved screen? Reply with quote

Anybody have the curved screen that these units used? I have one that I use in a very bright room with my G70. Fantastic viewing, even in full daylight. I read somewhere that the gain of these screens was something like 14 !!
Anyway I have an "84 diag curved screen made by Advent. I am looking for a replacement, because my house cleaner used something BAD to scrub or clean the screen, and I now have a 10"x12" hot spot in the center of the screen that I have tried to repair to no avail.
If anyone has an 84" one they would like to get out of the attic or garage, please let me know.
Thanks,
Grant
Novabeam Minnesota

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Novabeam Projection TV for sale Reply with quote

I have had the Novabeam since 1985, I bought it from a service technician for Unix Work Stations. He did his own service and he new how to make it work. I have not used it very much over the years. It still works great but I wanted a HD Projector for my HD TV stations.

Original Model One KLOSS NovaBeam projector with original remote control for sale in Maple Grove, Minnesota.

This unit has been modified with a clear plastic over the top.

Comes with original remote, and a copy of the owners (not service) manual.
It has composite video and RF inputs, with one internal speaker. It has a built in tuner, and two other inputs.

It appears to be in good working condition and was tested with cable, VHS and DVD signals.

$500 cash or best offer.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for these?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pho/1214032712.html
Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Screen shot of Advent 1000A Reply with quote

Here's a user that uses an Advent 1000A for his daily TV!! He has 3 parts machines when needed for reserve. He's running A/V right from a digital TV converter for a clean signal to avoid tuner problems. He seems very knowlegdable about these units and appreciates them. He remembers seeing them in his younger days used at businesses. Some more maintainence and setup needed, Kloss's original creation being used still.Screen blur caused by moving video while taking picture.

Thumbs Up

Img0015 resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.43 KB
 Viewed:  19255 Time(s)

Img0015 resized.jpg

Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: advent 1000A w/ remote Reply with quote

I recently gotten a parts advent 1000A set. cleaned it up from storage. Does anyone else have an advent w/ cabled remote box?? This is probaly the only known surviving unit like this. I will probaly restore in the future.
Cool

vd bm rmt 002.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vd bm rmt 002.jpg
 Filesize:  380.95 KB
 Downloaded:  1360 Time(s)

vd bm rmt 001.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vd bm rmt 001.jpg
 Filesize:  407.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1447 Time(s)

dennis_atherton

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Original Advent Tube Details - Construction Reply with quote

I was the engineer responsible for the projection tubes on that bad boy.

The picture showing the Tubes light path is a little off.

The electron gun is on the right - source.

The electron path is controlled by the deflection coils around the neck of the tube, and is directed at the Aluminum phosphor-coated target.

The aluminum target was made of 99.99% pure aluminum, drop forged in a huge press - 40 to 50 tons of force I believe. It was formed in a offset spherical form, with the blue having no horizontal offset built into it, as it was the center bottom tube. All three targets were different, and were very soft. We sanded the front surface with aluminum oxide very fine grit paper, to roughen it up a bit to form a more adhesive surface for the phosphor. The targets were placed in the bottom of a stainless steel pan filled with Highly cleaned water, and the phosphor slurry was distributed over the top. It was allowed to drain very slowly, so the phosphor / Kasil mix would deposit evenly. We then allowed them to air dry - there could be no contaminants, as this was going inside a vacuum tube, and had to survive a 4 hour Bake-Out while being evacuated. The target was held in a fixture to set the focus with a micrometer, and then 4 Stainless Steel Hex Screws were tightened at the neck of the target.

By the way - all cleaning and construction of the tube itself was done in a clean room, and the phosphor handling was done inside of a clean room in the clean room - very touchy stuff.

The mirror was a spherical mirror that we polished in the basement of our building, to a 1/2 lamda spherical match.
It was cleaned in the clean room and made into a mirror by aluminizing in a vacuum bell jar (heated aluminum in a coil, and let vacuum pull to mirror surface.)

All parts were cleaned, and then assembled in a fixture to hold them at correct relationship to each other. They were than clipped into mounts inside the tube, the rest of the tube assembles, and then the electron gun was flame / glass bonded to the bottom of the tube.

By the way - how do you clean an electron gun??? Dip it in a thermos jar filled with liquid nitrogen, and let the differential contraction of the stainless steel, glass, and dirt allow the dirt to just fall off.

After the 6 hour vacuum process to seal the tube, it was cleaned internally by a spark knocker - 70 thousand volts generated by a lead shielded tesla coil, mounted in a 30" by 30" by 7 foot long wooden case. Base was tied to ground and a wand was used to go over the outside to knock off any small particles internally. The cabinets that held the tubes during this were steel, with more lead lining. Any outgassed material at this time was captured by flashing the getter at the top of the electron gun.

Anyhow, back to the light path-
The light is generated by the phosphor (and as people have mentioned - no shadow mask), so all of the generated light could be collected.The light was reflected by the spherical mirror in the base of the tube, and directed out through the very thick leaded glass tube front, and then through the plastic Schmidt Corrector Lens. These were graded by testing them in a lens booth, for spherical aberration and focal length. They could have a 1/2 to 3 inch difference in focal length, as they were just Plastic made by US Precision Lens Company. They were the only parts (other than the actual plastic and glass parts), that were not made in-house. These lenses were glued to the glass end plate of the tube. At this point they were transferred to testing, and alignment with the yoke around the neck, and bonded with Epoxy into a single stable part.

All of the correction was done in that plastic lens, but the rest was held inside the evacuated tube so that it would never have to be cleaned.

If anyone is interested in more detailed information about Advent - I was there from 1971 through 1976, and worked along side of Uncle Henry for that time. I am not nearly as famous as Tom is now, Tomlinsom Holman of THX fame - who was there for a few of those years.

My e-mail is listed - so ask away.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Original Advent Tube Details - Construction Reply with quote

dennis_atherton wrote:
I was the engineer responsible for the projection tubes on that bad boy.

If anyone is interested in more detailed information about Advent - I was there from 1971 through 1976, and worked along side of Uncle Henry for that time. I am not nearly as famous as Tom is now, Tomlinsom Holman of THX fame - who was there for a few of those years.

My e-mail is listed - so ask away.

Welcome to the forum Dennis!

Thanks for that glimpse of tube manufacturing circa 1976. Very interesting read.

Please feel free to continue. We'd love to hear more Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in house production unlike the later Kloss Novabeams which were (largely) manufactured by ITT in Germany, wich also sold them as the ITT Cinevision series. The Novatron Tube (integrated Schmidt Optik as described above), used in these was still made in the US.
laserdogg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a non-working 1000A w/original screen that I would like to get rid of.
Bought in '87 and was daily TV until '97 when a Sony RP replaced it.

Picture was quite good, especially with laserdiscs at the time.
Screen was purchased NOS in '87 and was wall mounted so don't have legs but do have the aluminum wall brackets.
Also have service manuals and troubleshooting guide that I purchased from Professional Electronics in Kenner, LA during the 90's - screen also came from them.

Some of the 1000A modular boards were replaced over the years to keep it working but it got to the point that I no longer wished to repair it and simply moved it to the basement and ignored it for the last 13 years.
Cacille

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I just signed up for this forum to get a little info and also see if I can sell this Advent Videobeam for my father. The bulbs work on it at last check (years ago). Little is know about it save for the fact that my father has had this in the basement for 20+ years, it was brought from California by his cousin. From what I've found out, this looks to be a model 750 though the back is a bit different from the brochure listed here. Therefore it may be a 760 or 761 but wasn't able to find a comparable picture to this one.
This thing I've seen in the basement for years and the front tube lights always scared me when I was little - it still freaks me out honestly and I'm not the type to be freaked out a lot. Something about the three light "face" scares me. Smile
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/cacille/2012-02-12_22-36-03_980.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/cacille/2012-02-12_22-35-43_95.jpg
What do you think I should sell this for?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacille, it's not worth anything. It's not old enough to be a collectible unit or a museum piece, and it's not worth running, as it can't be used for HD. I'd recycle it.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT 10-15years later it will be old enough to be collectible, while people (like Curt) recycle these you'd better to save it, and will cost a fortune Smile
View user's photo album (1 photos)
yayachris

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is someone looking for an old Advent Video Beam? I use to work for Advent many, many years ago and I still have a video beam with the screen. I'm not sure which model it is since it has been years since I looked at it last but I would love to send it to a good home. Anyone interested let me know.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three of these (not sure of exact type) and three screens (two large and one small). Also have a service manual. At least one was still working when put in storage 15-20 years ago. No guarantee now but lots of spare parts! Free for the taking but you'll have to pick them up in Denton, TX.

Reply here or PM me if interested.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

The Videobeam was among the first projectors ever connected to a computer terminal. We got a call one day, might have been 1978 or 1979 from IBM in Southfield. They had brought in a VB1000 modified with RGB inputs and their 3279 color tube had RGB out, one just needed some cables for that. They also had a big weird box custom made for IBM by Hughes Aircraft, it connected by wire-wrapping about 30 connections off a ribbon cable into a card rack on a 3278 (monochrome). I don't know what the signals were, I just know that after following the hookup instructions it worked! We went on do do a huge rental business with IBM for about four years after Electrohome rolled out the ECP1000 and ECP4000. Actually, the demise of Advent led us to look around for other computer-capable projectors, and that led us to a long relationship with Electrohome
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really interested in one of the screens, but unfortunately I am a long ways from Dallas.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched one of those in a YouTube video big but it was fully restored and threw a nice pic for its age but still only a novelty item

I have been looking for one of the Sony sets that had two lens and also had a flat and cured screen to use my vintage games on (had a chance to get one before the HD standred was out I was younger at the time but didn't have the money to get it now I wish I had got it)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: