Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OPPO BDP-93 Up and Running

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: OPPO BDP-93 Up and Running Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm pleasantly surprised. This thing is truly as advertised. Thumbs Up

The most surprising thing is almost every output resolution matched up with an already converged memory block in my VPH-G70. Very little tweaking required. Smile

Other surprise is it sync'd and was centered at 1080p60. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I struggled to get good video timing with my HTPC at 1080p60 to the point of giving up.

I have two questions.

1) What color space should be used for the BDP-93 connected direct to a CRT PJ. (no VP yet)

RGB Video
RGB PC
YCbCr 4:4:4
YCbCr 4:2:2

I'm using an older IFB-DVI card from JohnWanman V.2 .

2) When I output 1080p24 the picture will not sync. The image just rolls. when I look at the memory blocks it loads block 2 and indicates a 40hz signal. I was expecting 24 or 48hz. It's not the player I get 1080p24 on my plasma fine. Confused

Cheers!
View user's photo album (33 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer your second question... The projector won't sync to 24hz refresh, so you can't output 1080p24 without a processor to double or triple the frame rate. You'll have to use 1080p60 unless you put a VP in the signal chain after the Oppo.

Craig or somebody will have to answer the color space question.

Always good to hear more great comments about the Oppo. I want one, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a BD player!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color space...

Quote:

The general rule - the takeaway for this entire article is this:

First, set your source components to output YCbCr if there is an option. Second, get a test disc that has a Blacker-than-Black pattern (AVIA Pro, Digital Video Essentials, any THX DVD with THX Optimizer, etc) and ensure that you can see blacker-than-black on your display. Third, switch your display's HDMI setting from 'Normal' to 'Enhanced' if you do not see the Blacker-than-Black pattern. As long as you can see a below black signal, you are more than likely set up to get the best possible dynamic range from your display. Your final step in resolving this issue should be to set the correct black and white levels.

Again - make sure you can see below black levels in your system, and then calibrate your display to set your black and white levels. This should allow you to enjoy the full benefits of your display and get the most dynamic range out of your DVDs.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/calibrate-your-system/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: