Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Did I Screw Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Did I Screw Up? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Call it buyer remorse or mere confusion!

I have the OPPO BDP-93 with excellent video scaling (DVD) some noise reduction capability and excellent Blu-ray video.

I'm contemplating a Lumagen VP with excellent video scaling (DVD) very good noise reduction, CMS, Gamma, and greyscale.

In the Future I'm looking at a Digital projector JVC possibly with CMS, Gamma, grey scale, fair video scaling maybe?

So I'm seeing a lot of overlap. I'm wondering if I could have went cheap on the Blu-ray and PJ and partnered with the Lumagen? When I say cheap I mean lower cost less features.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That combo is awesome!! It's what I use.

And once you go digital the Lumagen Radiance will be a far better choice for doing the CMS.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I Screw Up? Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Call it buyer remorse or mere confusion!

I have the OPPO BDP-93 with excellent video scaling (DVD) some noise reduction capability and excellent Blu-ray video.

I'm contemplating a Lumagen VP with excellent video scaling (DVD) very good noise reduction, CMS, Gamma, and greyscale.

In the Future I'm looking at a Digital projector JVC possibly with CMS, Gamma, grey scale, fair video scaling maybe?

So I'm seeing a lot of overlap. I'm wondering if I could have went cheap on the Blu-ray and PJ and partnered with the Lumagen? When I say cheap I mean lower cost less features.

Here's my thoughts:

1. Some video processing - most notably MPEG decoding and (if you're sending RGB) color decoding - can't be substituted by an outboard VP. What you get is what you get from the player. In this respect, the Oppo does EVERYTHING right; the same can't be said for a lot of BD players out there. As far as I'm concerned, the quick boot times, solid processing, and frequent firmware updates are worth the price alone.

2. I've had my Lumagen since 2007 - I haven't paid for anything but the 3D upgrade since then. It's gained a lot of functionality and outlasted many projectors, always able to fully calibrate and manipulate whatever video signal and projector I've thrown at it. The amount of processing power and flexibility that this processor has is unmatched by any other consumer processor, and has been one of my best HT investments ever.

3. I look at the scaling and CMS features on the JVC as a bonus. Each year you get to chose between the base model and one of the higher-end models; if you have a Lumagen, that choice is easy since things like CMS don't factor into the equation, and you're left evaluating whether the bump in CR or the e-shift is worth the extra money.

Overall what you've chosen contributes positively to the end result in its own way that cannot be duplicated by another device. The fact that each item duplicates some of the features of other items in no way changes the benefits that each individual piece brings to the table. If you have the money to spend and you're comfortable with that, I think you've chosen a combo that's going to make you very happy. I have all of those in my theater (BDP-93, Radiance XE, and RS55), and I couldn't be happier.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I Screw Up? Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:

if you have a Lumagen, that choice is easy since things like CMS don't factor into the equation, and you're left evaluating whether the bump in CR or the e-shift is worth the extra money.

I was thinking along those lines. I remember an article in a theater mag awhile back that said the base JVC with VP outperformed the High end JVC without VP.

Can you really see the difference between 40K:1 and 60K:1 contrast? I'd be more concerned about black level.

1080p at 12ft. on 110" looks pretty good to me. As far as E-Shift I would need to see one in action. Anyone get a chance at an A/B comparison. What were your impressions?
View user's photo album (33 photos)
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I Screw Up? Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
HogPilot wrote:

if you have a Lumagen, that choice is easy since things like CMS don't factor into the equation, and you're left evaluating whether the bump in CR or the e-shift is worth the extra money.

I was thinking along those lines. I remember an article in a theater mag awhile back that said the base JVC with VP outperformed the High end JVC without VP.

Can you really see the difference between 40K:1 and 60K:1 contrast? I'd be more concerned about black level.

1080p at 12ft. on 110" looks pretty good to me. As far as E-Shift I would need to see one in action. Anyone get a chance at an A/B comparison. What were your impressions?

The answer to your contrast question is that it depends. It depends on your viewing environment and it depends on your sensitivity to black levels. In a hypothetical situation, if we have a JVC putting out 800 calibrated lumens at a particular throw distance and iris setting onto a 9' wide 16:9 screen (123" diagonal), you'd be getting 17.56 ftL at peak white. On the 40,000:1 machine this would yield 0.00043 ftL black level, and on a 60,000:1 machine it would yield 0.00029 ftL black level. Could one tell the difference? Sure. Is it going to jump out at you without a comparator? Possibly not. In the end you have to decide whether things like e-shift and a higher contrast are worth the jump in price. Also keep in mind that the CMS on an RS55/65 may yield a higher resale value since one doesn't have to have an external box to fully calibrate the projector.

I'd venture to guess that at your viewing distance, e-shift would be on the verge of making a difference. It really depends on your screen surface and your visual acuity, but you're right in the borderline area as far as e-shift's usefulness.

I know I've given you a lot of "it depends" answers which may not help, but I don't feel that any of your questions can be easily condensed down to a black and white, yes/no answer.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: