Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Surgical Replacment of Dallas Chip Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Surgical Replacment of Dallas Chip Battery Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I didn't see these already posted so: For any cheapskates out there, here is an alternative to buying a new dallas chip...I think mine has two batteries, but the concept should still apply. I might have a go at it if I can't find a replacement DS1235YW-150 for cheap; Not sure where I got my last one (~2009).

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

cheers,
Matt
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Surgical Replacment of Dallas Chip Battery Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
I didn't see these already posted so: For any cheapskates out there, here is an alternative to buying a new dallas chip...I think mine has two batteries, but the concept should still apply. I might have a go at it if I can't find a replacement DS1235YW-150 for cheap; Not sure where I got my last one (~2009).

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

cheers,
Matt

Search ebay for "DS1235YW" and you will get one. From China I see $9 delivered for a "new" piece. You can most likely use any speed DS1235YW, not just the 150ms, but I see 150ms parts on ebay.

I have two sources for this chip, but both are a little flaky on this particular part... If you want I can forward the vendors to you.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, they are indeed late model chips on eBay, 2008 and 2010 were the first two I looked at, but all 6 G90 Dallas chips last week were from 1997 to 1999. NO THANkS
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little hard to find Dallas chips for the G90 as well that are actually new. Obviously you don't want a used pull, but even NOS ones that were made more than 5 years ago I avoid. I got a dozen in a couple years back that were new and unused, but all about 8 years old. All 12 had dead batteries and I was out of luck on that lot Sad Now I make sure that any I order are less than 2 years old.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced my Dallas chip it was with one of these. The '120+' being the key here.
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/545530-ic-nvsram-1mbit-120ns-32dip-ds1245y-120.html
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

It is my understanding that you can usually go from a 1235 to a higher number 1245 (more memory) and from 150ns to 120ns (faster read) without problems; keep in mind if your parts source cannot offer the exact replacement for you.

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances that these chips will be hard to source in the next 5-10 years? Yes, I'm seriously thinking that I'll still be enjoying my G90 well into the 3rd Dallas chip replacement.
Gannon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the greatest news since...well...ever. Thanks for these pioneering rogue repairs...helping keep this old stuff alive.

Big love from Detroit...

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all our chip guys here...is anyone doing this as a service yet?!

I'd like to take a newer Dallas chip to a jobsite in Boulder later this month, and replace the ten-year old one in a G90 as insurance against Murphy.

So...do I prepare to butcher the existing chip...or are there fresh units I can buy, and for how much?!

Forgive my ignorance here...I'm a tweak, not a tech.

Cheers,
John
Detroit

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No butchering required. Just remove the YA board, pull the old Dallas chip, copy contents using an EEPROM reader/writer, copy file to new chip and reinstall new chip onto the YA board. Just remember to take a mental note of the orientation. This should be all thats required. Keep the old chip handy in case the new chip is faulty and save the copied data in a folder on the PC.
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -

HaydnG90's right - I think all of the dallas chips are still available -- this was just an alternative. Once the semester ends and student's leave me alone(!), I'll get to playing with this and will post results.

Matt
mc86

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -

HaydnG90's right: I think all of the dallas chips can still be found -- hacking them was just an alternative. Wink If time permits this summer, I'll play with one and will post results.

Cheers,
Matt
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, order a new chip. Last I checked, the ones on eBay were old stock, as old as the ones in the G90s that I'm seeing. I'm buying new ones with 2010 or 2011 date codes. I just ran out, but will order more on Monday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: