Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who uses Power DVD 12? EDIT: or PowerDVD 11?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Who uses Power DVD 12? EDIT: or PowerDVD 11? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone use it and what do you think of it?

I have the trial version which isnt much of a trial, cant even run Blurays on it, which is what i want to do with it!! Laughing

Last edited by CasetheCorvetteman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to defend their business practices, but Steve Jobs wasn't kidding when he said Blu-ray playback licensing was "a bag of hurt". I bet CyberLink would have to pay license fees for installing Blu-ray codecs - even for a trial - which clearly wouldn't work out to well.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesnt work in the trial , which is what holds me back from purchase!!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now that i have it, i STILL cant use it cause i cant watch bluray discs on the analog output... I cant watch 3D on the digital output to the MOOME card cause i cant select the right 3D glasses...

Why cant sh** just WORK like i PAID for it to?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it to run on the analog display using AnyDVD HD, but it runs for 30 seconds then shuts off!!

Although i do have PowerDVD 11 Ultra up and running as well now, too many issues with 12, so i tried 11 and it works fine... Even works fine with the nVIDIA 3D glasses...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All up and running perfectly fine, biggest issue was quite likely the BIOS version i was using for my mobo, was using BETA version, no end of trouble for some things....

On a further side note, WinDVD 11 trial not only allowed me to play bluray discs, it also did them on the RGB output without using AnyDVD HD. It wouldnt display 3D in the trial though.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't want to get back into HTPC.

Great once it's all working, but a big, giant, hairy, time-sucking P I T A to get there.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Great once it's all working, but a big, giant, hairy, time-sucking P I T A to get there.

SC

This HTPC is running smooth.

Of course I started building in 2006 Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been flawless for the 5 years...PDVD is a problem the free stuff works much better...For 3D though it and Arcsoft TMT are about the only game in town.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

It can be for sure, but its only taken me a few days to get it working perfectly though, and i cant say ive ever really had any issues i couldnt beat in the past. But it still drives me up the wall when i do have the issues...

Lets face it, im trying to do something with it that im not meant to be able to do, so naturally im going to have issues.

MikeEby wrote:
Mine has been flawless for the 5 years...PDVD is a problem the free stuff works much better...For 3D though it and Arcsoft TMT are about the only game in town.

Mike

Arcsoft doesnt do 7.1 surround though does it?

I was always a fan of WinDVD back in the day, it worked perfectly and had a perfect picture, but for some reason they all seemed to fall short in the sound department when compared to a Panasonic A350 DVD player ( which is the one i bought right near the launch of DVD, and its still working without fault ) and whether you used the Class A+ decoder built in, or used the decoder in the amp, the sound was simply better than i ever seemed to get from the computers, regardless of sound card. Would be interesting to compare it to my ASUS XONAR DX 7.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i thought id download and try Total Media Theatre 5, and ive now gone from working perfectly fine with Power DVD 11 ULTRA, to nothing working again cause it resets my computer ( no blue screen just straight up reset ) when i run a bluray.

Only WinDVD will run a bluray without causing a reset.

What is the go here? I know im not the only one either, cause i read a ton of pages where others have the same issue!!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Steve Jobs wasn't kidding when he said Blu-ray playback licensing was "a bag of hurt".

Experiencing it first hand!

My PowerDVD9 that came with the Blu-ray stopped working on a couple disks. Something to do with disks manufactured after 2011 and the AASC keys need updating. Updates aren't available for the bundled software.

Just downloaded trial versions of ArcSoft TMT5 and Corel WinDVD11 Pro. Both seem to work fine on my Win7, i3 running the iGPU over DVI. Even the 3D mode seemed to work, but I could not find my glasses.

All this has me rethinking HTPC vs. stand alone Players.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate its a bit of a have when they give you a "full version" bundle...
wardhealer

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAD PowerDVD 12. I stress the word HAD! It was a pain in the ass and I was never able to get it to play BluRays properly. Also, it changed all my file associations at the registry level and I had to spend hours editing the registry to get back the previous file associations for my video files. THEN, I was unable to delete the program. I've tried 3 different uninstaller programs and it's still there.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you change to?
wardhealer

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing yet. I'm going to try ArcSoft Total Media and WinDVD in the near future.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found WinDVD will run flawlessly, but the trial wont let me play blurays in 3D, so im scared to pay for it and find it also wont with the full. If it would, it would be my instant choice cause its been totally trouble free here.

Arcsoft played them 3D, but i had the same resetting issue as i had with PowerDVD, and again, only with bluray discs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: