Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

InFocus Projection question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sengimage

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: InFocus Projection question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm interested in the VIP 3d theater model.

Here are the specs on my projector...

InFocus IN5316HD resolution = 1920 X 1080p

Vertical Sync = 120Hz

This is a DLP Front Projection unit.

What should I expect with the VIP converter? Can I take the 720p output from the VIP and upscale it prior to my projector?

What emitter and glasses should I buy with this setup?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your projector will automatically do to the scaling for you. No need for an external scaler.

RF glasses are the most adjustable and often recommended, but since you have a DLP projector you can buy DLP link glasses and save some money. They're cheaper and will work fine with your DLP projector. See: http://www.curtpalme.com/DLPLinkGlasses.shtm

The 3D-Theater is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DTheatre.shtm

Since your projector does 120Hz you'll get excellent flicker free performance.

Good luck with your setup!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Sengimage

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the manual on my Model IN5316HD and it is not DLPLink capable. For whatever reason InFocus only put this feature in the lower end models the IN5312 and IN5314 which aren't true HD but are 3d Capable with DLPLink. The two higher end Models the IN5316HD and the IN5318 are listed as not 3d capable.

So I believe the emitter and glasses option for the VIP 3d Theater is still the option I need to get ... right?

IR or RF?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - sorry - didn't know your projector didn't support DLPLink.

RF is considered better since it's more adjustable. Many are perfectly happy with IR.

Kal

Sengimage

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Ah - sorry - didn't know your projector didn't support DLPLink.

RF is considered better since it's more adjustable. Many are perfectly happy with IR.

Kal

I called into InFocus asking for some kind of easter egg or firmware revision that would enable this....Seeing as how the model I bought for the native HD feature has the same specifications across the board and costs 3 times more than the lesser models.... and the same Texas Instruments DLP 7 segment color wheel with a better DMD.... It seems that by all intuition...it should handle the 3d thrown at it better then its lesser siblings.

There was a moment of silence from the tech on the phone... then he asked that I send him the links to the VIP 3d theater and the glasses. He would get this over to engineering and get back to me.

I think there's an easter egg no one's allowed to talk about here. But, I could be wrong. For the money spent....its a shame it's hobbled in any way.

So the VIP 3d Theater and the RF emitter with glasses..... then my unit upscales to 1080p. okay...I can live with that. Is this correct?

Now as a side note.... I also have an InFocus IN83 which is specked as follows... True 1080p HD, Vertical Sync = 85Hz, 7 Segment color wheel, DarkChip4 DLP by Texas Instruments. Can I use this in a 2 projector setup for some kind of passive 3d mode in tandem with the IN5316HD??? And if so is some other kind of conversion box and associated glasses required?

Better if InFocus provides an IN5316HD to 3d update path or a partial refund. ???? But, I'm patient.

Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sengimage wrote:
So the VIP 3d Theater and the RF emitter with glasses..... then my unit upscales to 1080p. okay...I can live with that. Is this correct?

Correct. All digital displays always scale to the native resolution. Otherwise something like a 480i SD signal would only use a small area in the middle of the screen.

Quote:
Now as a side note.... I also have an InFocus IN83 which is specked as follows... True 1080p HD, Vertical Sync = 85Hz, 7 Segment color wheel, DarkChip4 DLP by Texas Instruments. Can I use this in a 2 projector setup for some kind of passive 3d mode in tandem with the IN5316HD??? And if so is some other kind of conversion box and associated glasses required?

No. There's no passive add-ons that can be done.

Kal

Sengimage

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very very much. I think based on this feedback I'll go with the VIP 3d Theater and the RF emitter with 8 glasses. I hope that the RF unit will handle 8 glasses???? I have a large family.

And I'll Have an InFocus IN83 to sell or keep as a spare or perhaps a second theater?

BTW...

What is the proper spelling??? Theater or Theatre??? I've seen it both ways around NYC. And its pretty damn confusing. Wink

Thanks again for all your advice and feedback.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emitter does handle 8 sets of glasses.

Theater = American spelling
Theatre = Canadian/British/many other parts of the world spelling.

Both are right. Wink

If you'd like to order and support our CurtPalme.com site, you may do so here: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DTheatre.shtm

It's appreciated!

Kal

Sengimage

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be making my purchase with you guys. Definitely.
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sengimage wrote:
Thank you very very much. I think based on this feedback I'll go with the VIP 3d Theater and the RF emitter with 8 glasses. I hope that the RF unit will handle 8 glasses???? I have a large family.

If you had DLP and RF glasses as a side by side comparison, you would probably prefer the RF glasses color rendition after tuning them. Not to mention the greater freedom of movement. RF glasses at 120hz are great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: