Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Still got CRT? Stick with it, don't go digital, see why
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
You mean everyone could easily afford a 9" CRT 2-5 years ago? And here I thought I wasn't the only one that couldn't see spending what was being asked for.

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
As for digital, well, the product lifespan of digitals is very brief. Just yesterday I picked up a Panasonic PT-D5500U in excellent shape, missing a lens and one lamp assembly (it can take two lamps) for the price of FREE. It works. By my point of view, the 5500 is still a pretty new unit but they're showing up in surplus.

In all fairness, that Panny projector is hardly new - it's an old 4:3 business projector. It puts out a sh*t-ton of light at the cost of color accuracy and contrast - not exactly what anyone would consider sticking in a theater for a comparison to any good projector. It has a native resolution of 1024x768, a spec'd CR of 1600:1 (which is most likely grossly inflated), and 5000 lumens with the help of two lamps. Even when it was new in 2004 - or when it was discontinued in 2006 - it wouldn't have been considered seriously for use outside of the office. Comparing it to CRT (or any home theater projector, for that matter) is just silly.

I'm not one to get into a pissing match as to which display tech is better because 1) I don't have a good frame of reference for discussing CRTs, and 2) "better" is a relative term and depends solely upon the end user and his/her requirements. But I do sometimes see rather absurd comparisons drawn between CRTs and digitals here where the digital in question is so laughably old/outdated that I almost think it's a joke...

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that 5500 is a home theater product, either. It's a light cannon and well suited for rental use where people want a big, bright image. And it's
certainly not very heavy. I'm sure it's under 30 pounds. It does offer a 16x9 mode at the expense of some active pixels (of course) and it'll take up to
1080i (internally rescaled) but yeah, it's yesterday's news. Still, it should fetch close to 2 grand on fleabay and my investment in it consists of buying
a lens and a remote for it. The unit itself was free and it has no problems. I can't argue with a deal like that!

But you sort of nailed the issue right on the head: Made in 2004 and discontinued in 2006, you described it as an "old" business projector.

If it were a 2004 Marquee, people would be saying that it's pretty darned new!

There's the difference. CRT projectors are expected to last a very long time. They're built to last. Digitals...not so much.

CJ
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I wouldn't say that 5500 is a home theater product, either. It's a light cannon and well suited for rental use where people want a big, bright image. And it's
certainly not very heavy. I'm sure it's under 30 pounds. It does offer a 16x9 mode at the expense of some active pixels (of course) and it'll take up to
1080i (internally rescaled) but yeah, it's yesterday's news. Still, it should fetch close to 2 grand on fleabay and my investment in it consists of buying
a lens and a remote for it. The unit itself was free and it has no problems. I can't argue with a deal like that!

But you sort of nailed the issue right on the head: Made in 2004 and discontinued in 2006, you described it as an "old" business projector.

If it were a 2004 Marquee, people would be saying that it's pretty darned new!

There's the difference. CRT projectors are expected to last a very long time. They're built to last. Digitals...not so much.

CJ

I guess it is just a perspective thing. If I lived in 300 year old buildings in Europe and then came over here, I might laugh at a 30-year old house being called "old."

BTW, I'd be shocked if you got a couple hundred bucks out of that Panny - I know that they're listed on eBay for $1500-ish, but I don't know who (that knows anything about projectors, anyways) would fork out that much dough for one. If you want bright, there are far cheaper units out there. But hey, maybe you can find some poor sap who doesn't know any better Smile

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't deny the ones that say sold...... http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw=Panasonic%20PT-D5500U&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Can't deny the ones that say sold...... http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw=Panasonic%20PT-D5500U&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

I didn't say it wouldn't sell, I said it wouldn't sell for $2K unless he found some poor sap who didn't know what he was buying. Of the sold on that page, the sale prices were $700, $750, $899, $1100, and then the two suckers for $1850 and $1995. If I were to drop $2K on a light canon, I'd get a used DP like some of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/DVD-Home-Theater-/32852/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=digital+projection

The $2K and under options are far better built and have far superior optics as compared to the Panny. But hey, if you get a Panny for free and can squeeze several hundred bucks out of it, good for you!

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ePrey loves the daily born suckers.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it brings just 1K, I've made a very GOOD profit. I'll be offering this with two good lamps, a good remote, and two good zoom lenses of different ranges. A very decent package.

CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: