Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

iPad & ATv (3rd gen) impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: iPad & ATv (3rd gen) impressions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok, so about a week ago the wife got her new iPad. Its quicker than the 1st gen, but that is to be expected. Beyond that I had not spent any time with it until today when the 3rd gen Apple TV showed up. I connected the ATV to the 1at floor plasma and the only thing I configured on it was to give it a unique name. I then showed the wife things like how to use the services like Vimeo, YouTube, Apple's Trailers and the Internet Radio.

I then showed her how to use AirPlay via the iPad to the ATV (she really like that), and finally showed her how to use mirroring (wireless). I have to admit I was really impressed with how I didn't see any buffering issues with the ATV3 as a standalone media streamer, but then again I spent a whole hour so far.

I'll need to test other sources of media, but the intriguing part of the ATV is its simplicity and portability. I can easily see this type of product in most rooms of the house connected to simple receiver and speakers while the personal content remains portable and the online content available natively.

The one thing I can see some complaints about, though, is the difference in aspect ratio between the native aspect of the iPad and that of common household HDTVs. For instance, the iPad 3 has a native resolution of 2048-by-1536, but somehow this 4:3 aspect is mapped to a 1920x1080 16:9 display. To me this means only 1440x1080 can be achieved. BTW, this difference in aspects isn't because of the HDTV because even Apple's iMacs are 16:9.

Having a unified aspect front for the product line may be in their future, but something tells me that they should have already done this because most buyers haven already bought into the newest iPad will not allow less in the next generation. Personally, I could have easily lived with 1920x1080 resolution on the iPad. Let's keep life simple.

Now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to ad-hoc these two directly together wirelessly without going through a home network. Both already have 802.11n built in so in keeping with the simplicity theme lets remove the middle man.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you and the wife like the new iPad, Wan... I have a $100 gift card from buying a new washer and dryer, and I'm seriously considering using it toward a new Retina iPad since the kids have basically taken over our old iPad 1. This one would be MINE. I really like the display on the new one - it's really, really sharp and damn purdy to look at. Should be awesome for reading, and will make an AWESOME home theater controller!

A couple of points:
- Yes, the output from the iPad will only be 1440x1080 on the ATV, but only in video mirroring mode - because the iPad display is 4:3. If you send videos to the ATV, it is 1080p. If you have a game that supports Airplay-out directly, it could use the whole 16:9 display.

- It seems like a good idea to make the iPad 16:9, but for reading and general use, 16:9 is only good for two things: movies and games. For reading, content creation, and damn near everything besides movies and games, 4:3 is actually very good. If keeping life simple is important, changing the aspect ratio would be nightmare for developers and users alike. There are millions of apps designed to work on the iPad at 4:3 already. Developers would burn massive resources to re-build every single app to work in 16:9, and then how to display new apps on the old iPad or old apps on the new app? NOT simple!

- As for the WiFi, it's a total pain in the ass to set up WiFi devices to work in Ad-hoc mode, so why would you? Yes, the WLAN is technically a middle-man, but that's what it's there for. Use it. It works. Don't make things more difficult than they need to be.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Wan (and some of the others in the gang here) might actually get a kick out of this...

The guys over at DisplayMate subjected the new iPad to their display shootout, and the results are pretty awesome...

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

Quote:
new iPad Conclusion: Impressive… but Lots of Room for Improvement
Apple has taken the very good display on the iPad 2 and dramatically improved two of its major weak points: sharpness and color saturation – they are now state-of-the-art. Our lab tests and visual tests agree with Apple’s claim that the new iPad has “the best display ever on a mobile device” so we have awarded the new iPad the Best Mobile Display Award in DisplayMate’s Best Video Hardware Guide. But there’s more…the new iPad’s picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it’s also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor. So we have also awarded the new iPad the Best Mobile Picture Quality Award, which was previously held by the original Motorola Droid (not the more recent Droids, which all have poor picture quality). Finally, almost as impressive is that Apple has maintained the base price of $499. Who says Apple doesn’t compete aggressively on price!

Wow.

Pretty interesting read.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I picked up a couple of spare Linksys WRT54GL routers from Amazon and I can setup a one-device solution for networking for the wife. While not completely eliminating the middle-man for the application I am working on, it can make it easier to manage as an isolated network.

As for the aspects and resolutions, I think a lot of applications are dynamic enough already as they already support a dynamic resolution and aspect as far as orientation goes. Have we seen a condition in which lower-resolution apps made pre-iP3 are not working on the iP3? And apps that allow landscape/portrait orientation as already changing aspect between 4:3 and 3:4.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I bought another on and have it in the theater. I am sitting here listening to the Sucker Punch soundtrack while watching the ATv National Geographic screen saver. Mind you I am using the 1st gen iPad to stream the music, and while this is happening I am writing this. Yeshaw! Oh, and I am doing this all wirelessly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: