Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

using with a CRT projector
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricL

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I guess my irritation in that is that my NEC XG110LC will cleanly support 720p/100 but flakes out at 120. I can do 60 fine, but i've used other older pc based 3d systems with 60hz displays and the flicker was irritating. And I hate to spend the $700 first to find out that 60hz sucks still today. I would think it would be easier on the hardware to pass through a 720p/50 as 720p/50 than convert to 60 or 120 as well. sigh, oh well. I suppose what I need to do is find someone local to me who will bring theirs over so we can try it before I buy, not like I can afford to throw away $700 (unit + glasses)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricL wrote:
I guess my irritation in that is that my NEC XG110LC will cleanly support 720p/100 but flakes out at 120.

Actually that's a valid point. Never thought of that.

Quote:
I can do 60 fine, but i've used other older pc based 3d systems with 60hz displays and the flicker was irritating. And I hate to spend the $700 first to find out that 60hz sucks still today. I would think it would be easier on the hardware to pass through a 720p/50 as 720p/50 than convert to 60 or 120 as well. sigh, oh well. I suppose what I need to do is find someone local to me who will bring theirs over so we can try it before I buy, not like I can afford to throw away $700 (unit + glasses)

If you used 60Hz on the same display and found 60Hz irritating then you'll still most likely find it irritating since it'll still be 60Hz. Changing the display however can make a difference as different displays have different amounts of persistence. Ie: On some CRT displays the phosphor persists longer after being excited - the light dies away more slowly such that the flicker is less noticeable.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
EricL

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Quote:
I can do 60 fine, but i've used other older pc based 3d systems with 60hz displays and the flicker was irritating. And I hate to spend the $700 first to find out that 60hz sucks still today. I would think it would be easier on the hardware to pass through a 720p/50 as 720p/50 than convert to 60 or 120 as well. sigh, oh well. I suppose what I need to do is find someone local to me who will bring theirs over so we can try it before I buy, not like I can afford to throw away $700 (unit + glasses)

If you used 60Hz on the same display and found 60Hz irritating then you'll still most likely find it irritating since it'll still be 60Hz. Changing the display however can make a difference as different displays have different amounts of persistence. Ie: On some CRT displays the phosphor persists longer after being excited - the light dies away more slowly such that the flicker is less noticeable.

Kal

no, the 60hz glasses were on hmm geez a roughly 1998 model 19" CRT display from NEC as chance has it. Definitely the projector is a far different display device. Still the risk of not liking it really reduces my odds of buying it at all, where if it supported the 100hz i'd buy one right away just for xbox and bluray use.

I've actually used 3d glasses as far back as on the amiga on a standard 1980s tv set around 1984. Always enjoyed 3d, and I'd kill to play Call Of Duty Black Ops in 3d as well as the upcoming Bioshock game on the projector.

Anybody want to loan me theirs for a couple days? Very Happy
ncc1701d

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm isn't that wrong?

pal movies are 50hz and the 3d box convert it to 60hz then it would stutter i think..?
Have they forgotten that?

kal wrote:
My understanding (from the lead developer) is that any Euro HDTV that does 720p/50 will also do 720p/60, so there's no need to support 720p/50. I would assume the same with the 720p/100 -> 720p/120 difference (but am unsure about that).

Kal

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncc1701d wrote:
Hmm isn't that wrong?

pal movies are 50hz and the 3d box convert it to 60hz then it would stutter i think..?
Have they forgotten that?

I'm not sure what you mean by "PAL MOVIES". All movies are shot at 24 frames per second (fps) worldwide (some shot on video are done at 30). They did not shoot 2 versions of "Lord of the Rings" for example. It was shot at 24 fps like 99% of movies.

When you watch all 24 fps movies in 60Hz countries (like North America), the 24 needs to be converted to 60 using a 3/2 pulldown process.

The same with converting 24 to 50 for european TVs using a slightly different conversion process.

In both cases this, yes, can introduce some jutter or what you call stutter. That is correct. Most people however do not care or notice it at all. If most people complained, they wouldn't be able to sell any DVD/Blu-ray movies at all.

Kal

incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: can you change/upgrade it? Reply with quote

"My Zenith 1200 scans to a maximum of 75Khz horizontal scan rate so I'm forced to use 720p/60Hz", Hi kal couldnt you upgrade this so you have greater H scan especially useful for 3d. A barco Graphics 808S has a higher H scan rate than that does it not?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the BG808s has a higher scanrate. That would require me changing some boards and software I suppose. Not sure what's involved.

Kal

ribaud

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for anyone who can answer:

I'm running a G70 in 3D from a Radiance XS+ at 720p96. I've used the 3dtv universal transmitter and nvidia glasses successfully, but have had no luck getting the 3dtv model N glasses to sync (they do fine at 120 Hz, as do the nvidia glasses). Meantime, the transmitter blinds my IR repeater. So...will the VIP glasses work at 96 Hz, and is the 3-pin VESA connector on the Lumagen CRT 3D device the correct one for the VIP transmitter?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question - I'm not sure if the 3D-VIP glasses will work at 96Hz. Try sending an email to support2@3d-vip.com - they have someone there that would certainly know.

The 3 pin DIN connector the Lumagen CRT 3D device is standard and should work.

Kal

ribaud

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion! I've had a very informative exchange with them. The short answer is yes, the RF transmitter and glasses will work at 96 Hz as long as the user can provide the drive signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: