Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

3D Displayer & Marquee 8500 Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighDefMike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: 3D Displayer & Marquee 8500 Report Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all.

Told Kal I'd post to the forum "my experiences" connected with my Displayer (which arrived yesterday - 12/20/11).

Order was shipped on 12/14, so only took about a week to reach me. Fantastic!

I ordered the MonsterVision RF glasses since the ones the vendor normally supplies were on backorder with no known ETA. The 1st pair (I ordered a 2nd later on) reached me in 2 days from Amazon...and I chose Super Saver Shipping(!)...so I got an early Christmas present from Amazon.

I decided to take the 3D plunge mainly because I needed to do something with the Hometheater Smile. And since I'd purchased a Panasonic DMPBDT210 player a few months back (excellent video performance & very fast...compared to what I bought 3 years ago @ least) and had recently received my free Avatar 3D copy, I figured what the hey; I'm SO CLOSE to 3D!

My "temporary" chain is DMPBDT210===>Displayer====>Pio VSX1018AH====?Moome v2 ExtFullHD====>M8500 on a 79" wide 16:9 matte white Draper screen.
I had the Marquee ISF Calibrated 6 months ago, along with an install of Joust Mod lens adaptors and HD145s.

Initial set-up reminded me what I'd forgotten Rolling Eyes ....that for some reason, my Marquee won't do 120Hz. As a matter of fact, it won't do 72Hz either; as the ISF technician 6 months ago asked me when he had an external pattern generator attached, "Mike, do you wanna see what 72Hz looks like?".

So I set the Displayer dipswitch#1 to 60Hz, and in all honesty, "flicker" is not an issue with me+projector+?. So I'm very happy there.

I'm powering the Displayer from a nearby Xbox 360 USB Port. I tried the rear USB port (for a Skype optional camera) on the BDT210, and also one on my Pio A/V Receiver, but they didn't work.

Was able lastnight to tune the 3D image using the adjustments (delay & duty cycle) on the glasses/emitter pretty easily...by basically freezing/pausing the image and watching the effect the tuning had..then hitting Play. So I was able to eliminate the majority of ghosting/fuzziness....but there's always a compromise between brightness and those...and I opted for maximum brightness.

The stud. green phosphor doesn't appear to carry as much weight as I'd read it might. Wonder if the colored element might have something to do with this?

It was more challenging to change the polarity of the glasses, since I didn't see the red LED patterns mentioned in the owner's manual for the glasses; so I wasn't sure whether the polarity had really changed or it was my imagination..as I'd flip the glasses over on my face. But eventually I could tell there was more depth..wearing the glasses normally.

Since I expected the image to not be as bright/punchy, and the color quality to be "off", they came as no surprise. But it's just as Craig (CIR) mentioned in one post; I paraphrase....your eyes adjust to the lowered light output after a while; but not if you keep snatching the glasses off to see how much brighter the image is without them. Having a totally-light controlled room helps as well. The projector's contrast and brightness settings aren't much higher than my isf calibrated baselines.

I finally read my owners' manual today for the BDT210, and discovered there are 3D adjustments on the player that I can make to fine tune the sharpness and ghosting even further Shocked ! So tonight I used a combination of 3D glasses tuning and player tuning and I'm pretty satisfied with the results Thumbs Up . I would say miniature IMAX 3D would be an apt description of the quality...with the Avatar 3D disc at least...the only 1 I have @ present.

I'll take my accurate/calibrated 2D image any day over the 3D, and I don't plan on purchasing too many 3D titles, but for the price of admission, I'm pretty satisfied with the Displayer.

Since the lowest-priced Panasonic BD player is so cheap now (under $100), I've ordered it so I can continue to get my lossless audio + great 2D images along with the 3D setup above; since I have no plans to upgrade to a HDMI 1.4 A/V Receiver.

Hope this helps someone sitting on the fence like I was Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Mike. Glad you're liking the displayer!

Complete details on our order page here: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DDisplayer.shtm

For those wanting to also add 3D cable/satellite/internet/PC file support, consider the 3D-Theatre: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DTheatre.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HighDefMike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Displayer & Marquee 8500 Report Reply with quote

HighDefMike wrote:
....that for some reason, my Marquee won't do 120Hz. As a matter of fact, it won't do 72Hz either; as the ISF technician 6 months ago asked me when he had an external pattern generator attached, "Mike, do you wanna see what 72Hz looks like?".

The projector is OK Thumbs Up ; it's my Ext FullHd v2 card that's the culprit.

I have an old VIM_HD input card still plugged into the back of the M8500, and when I ran the VIP Displayer into it @ 120Hz, the projector had no issue.

I was hoping there was some dipswitch or something on the ext V2 card that wasn't set correctly, but I haven't read/seen anything that looks applicable. The good thing is 60Hz flicker is mostly non-existent, or it doesn't really bother me enough for me to notice it. What bothered me is why doesn't my M8500 sync to 119.88 Hz Mad. I'd also noticed the projector had no problem displaying the grid patterns using the preset internal frequencies/refresh rates higher than 60Hz.

But @ least the projector is fine. I thought my glasses weren't syncing with the displayer set @ 120Hz initially; then I realized it was because I'd gotten use to being able to see the LCD panels flicker @ 60Hz Laughing
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are you running res wise to the marquee ?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
HighDefMike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
so what are you running res wise to the marquee ?

Nashou

My only HDMI sources are an Xbox 360 (720p), and 2 Panny 3D Blu players both set @ 1080p.

1 Panny Blu player, my dedicated 3D machine, & the X360 (since I discovered a couple of 3D frame-packed 360 games Smile ) are now going into the VIP (via an HDMI switcher) which is then going to my AVR (Pio VSX 1018AH), which is then going to the ExtFull HD v2, and on to the projector via RGBHV.

The 2nd Panny Blu (my dedicated 2D machine) is going directly to the AVR; so I can get lossless audio along with the phenomenal 2D imagery.

I started thinking maybe the issue might be with the AVR instead of the ext v2, after I tried the VIM-HD approach...since I went directly from the VIP@120Hz to the VIM-HD; but I still think it's some quirk with the Ext Full HD v2 box...since I just connected the VIP@120Hz directly to the v2 bypassing the AVR....and the "LINK" never occurred. I waited @ least 3-4 minutes.
HighDefMike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Displayer & Marquee 8500 Report Reply with quote

HighDefMike wrote:
HighDefMike wrote:
....that for some reason, my Marquee won't do 120Hz. As a matter of fact, it won't do 72Hz either; as the ISF technician 6 months ago asked me when he had an external pattern generator attached, "Mike, do you wanna see what 72Hz looks like?".

The projector is OK Thumbs Up ; it's my Ext FullHd v2 card that's the culprit.

I have an old VIM_HD input card still plugged into the back of the M8500, and when I ran the VIP Displayer into it @ 120Hz, the projector had no issue.

I received my Moome VIM FullHD V3 HDMI 1.3 input card a few weeks ago, and finally decided to plug it in to make sure it works before I get the projector recalibrated.

So 120Hz is no problem now with the VIP Displayer Thumbs Up .
And it takes hardly no time for the displayer and projector to sync up now Thumbs Up

But guess what?
I actually prefer the picture quality when the VIP Displayer is set to 60 Hz Laughing
Seems sharper, and colors more vibrant to me @ 60Hz. As before, flicker wasn't a real issue; but I wanted everything to work like it was supposed to. Now that it does, I'm sticking with 60Hz Laughing

This may have more to do with the initial projector calibration more than anything else.

At any rate, when the projector is re-calibrated later this month, my tech is gonna set-up a memory dedicated solely to the VIP Displayer. Maybe I'll have him set up one for 60Hz and one for 120Hz, to see if it makes any difference on my setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: