Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Projector specifications. What's the source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Projector specifications. What's the source? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was just wondering where the PJ specs came from? Is it manufacturer specs or are some ( any ) obtained from real world measurements?

Thanks

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this right? http://www.curtpalme.com/PJSpecs.shtm

The PJ specs page came originally from another (now defunct) website that had them listed. That was just the skeleton.

I then spent about 5 days straight going through product brochures and updating 50-60% (my guess) of the numbers. There were a lot of mistakes. 90% of the weight/size numbers were wrong (obvious cut & paste errors).

Since then (about a year ago), people email me from time to time with corrections and additions. I've probably had 30-40 corrections since then and a dozen or so new projectors have been added.

If you see anything that's wrong and have proof to back it up, let me know and I'll fix it. I get a lot of people emailing me that they don't think one of the numbers is right, but don't know what the correct number is, nor do they offer any proof or more information. Not exactly sure what some people think I can do in that case... call the manufacturer myself? Pull numbers out of my arse? Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick-ass job on that list, BTW Kal. I've probably referenced those specs here hundreds of times, just as I had back when it was on the old site... 'course it's even more reliable and accurate, now. Anyway, thanks to you and Curt for all the hard work on that and the rest of the site!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are still a lot of errors, but the problem is finding them.

There's only so many things that were listed in the manufacturer brochures. There are also a lot of PJ's that are missing (though they're mostly the more obscure models).

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess there's no way to find out more original pricing. I love referring people to that.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pricing was a pretty nebulous number in a lot of cases. If there even was a published price anywhere to begin with...

Then, there were so many options - even on the same model. Then, you have retail pricing (who paid that?), quantity pricing, bid pricing, GSA pricing, export pricing, etc... Then, the prices of the models sometimes changed as new models were introduced or competition changed.

It would be difficult, if not impossible to ever try to find those prices, I would think, other than published retail prices in press releases or trade publications.

It's definitely fun, though to see that a piece of equipment that you just picked up for $500 originally sold for $15,000.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I doubt many of the retail prices are correct, and when I put the lists up I really thought about dropping the whole retail price column. But like you guys said, it's kinda fun to see and to show people. Smile Even if the prices aren't 100% accurate, they're probably pretty close.

The one I'm really sure about is the Zenith 1200X one since (a) that's what I have Smile and (b) it's listed in the 2 reviews that I posted.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: