Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My Pearl took a dump :\
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Jeremy112 wrote:
Okay,

Pin 1 in standby, during startup, and after shutdown is at 3.30V

Pin 3 is at 3.30V in startup

Pin 4 is at 1.28v on startup

All voltages look good so if your sure your lamps are good then you have a bad ballast.

What are the board numbers on the ballast? Any and all numbers please.... Very Happy
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, kind of figured it was the ballast, even though it smells and looks just fine, no burnt or anything, but the chip you replaced on that denon board wasnt burnt either Razz

The numbers on the ballast are:

0644.1 (in vintage digital VCR style font)

In that orientation on the board.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I took the ballast out completely, there is a label on the side I couldnt see before that says:

EUC 200 A/02
9137 007 27470
Made in holland

SONY Partsnr. 1-725-513-14

Dont know if that helps but you asked for any and all numbers Razz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked up that SONY partsnr. number, can buy the ballast for $170 through Amazon O_O If the current one can be repaired however, I would rather opt for that option Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the numbers I was looking for. That's a general 200 watt supply. Not made by sony, fortunately. I probably can't talk you through the ballast repair but i could probably repair it. It's up to you. Let me do a little looking with those number first.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the replacement is fairly expensive, and you would be willing to do the repair on the current ballast, I would prefer going that route instead. It shouldn't be nearly as hard to work on as the Denon board Razz
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, that's a reasonable price on the ballast. By contrast, the motor died.. again.. on my Eureka steam cleaner. Flames and everything! Smile

The steamer ran $299 retail. The motor... $150. Ridiculous! The first time it died about a month before the warranty expired. The dealer ended up replacing the unit once I bitched at them about the 12 week waiting period that it was taking to get the new motor.

I was all pleased that the new one lasted over a year. I use it maybe once every 3 weeks, not more often than should be expected. The replacement lasted 22 months. I talked to the vacuum cleaner tech, and he offered to sell me a used one for $75. Nice of him, but B stock motors are $44 on eBay. He did say that yes, the motors were designed to last just out of the warranty period. Yet another POS....

Last edited by Curt Palme on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, I feel your pain, having just shelled out $99 for the repair to the 'hyper' board to keep my one & only CRT display device going. It's painful watching the 32" LCD while waiting for the repair to happen, but once I get it back the Toshiba 65H84 is getting a full tune-up and as much 'correction' that I can do with the DVE disc.

Was not looking forward to the possibility of having to buy an LCD or alternative to replace the RPTV....

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayN999 wrote:
Was not looking forward to the possibility of having to buy an LCD or alternative to replace the RPTV....

Well, if it does die, and you have room for it, you could always just pick up another RPTV... I'm seeing them go for just stupid cheap prices on craigslist all the time... Lessee... New 42" LCD for $800 or a nice used 50" Pioneer Elite for $200 or a 65" Mitsubishi HD set for $300... Gee, let me think!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, Do you have time to work on the ballast? I have the assembly out of the PJ so I can send it to you if your willing. Also I havent forgot the $$ I owe you yet. I just havent had time, between spending time on here, and in real life, theres no time to go anywhere Razz

Would like to repair it if you think you can Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Mac, Do you have time to work on the ballast? I have the assembly out of the PJ so I can send it to you if your willing. Also I havent forgot the $$ I owe you yet. I just havent had time, between spending time on here, and in real life, theres no time to go anywhere Razz

Would like to repair it if you think you can Smile

You could just send the ballast but I would have no way to test for sure. Would be better to send the whole unit. It's not that heavy.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
RayN999 wrote:

Well, if it does die, and you have room for it, you could always just pick up another RPTV... I'm seeing them go for just stupid cheap prices on craigslist all the time... Lessee... New 42" LCD for $800 or a nice used 50" Pioneer Elite for $200 or a 65" Mitsubishi HD set for $300... Gee, let me think!

SC

I just gave away a 61" Toshiba tonight.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
RayN999

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 65" CRT lives again. Scan board has been recapped which got rid of the 'ringing' (vertical and wavy lines) at startup, so things are looking up for this behemoth once again.

Going to remove screen this weekend & do a mirror dusting and lens cleaning which hasn't been done in the 8 years I've owned this set so far.

Then to tune up focus & convergence & ensure that things are looking good once again.

Never drove this set hard, it's had a low brightness/contrast life for all these years.

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayN999 wrote:
My 65" CRT lives again. Scan board has been recapped which got rid of the 'ringing' (vertical and wavy lines) at startup, so things are looking up for this behemoth once again.

Going to remove screen this weekend & do a mirror dusting and lens cleaning which hasn't been done in the 8 years I've owned this set so far.

Then to tune up focus & convergence & ensure that things are looking good once again.

Never drove this set hard, it's had a low brightness/contrast life for all these years.

That must be the first digital CRT Projector I have heard of ray, considering your posting on the digital PJ section and taking my topic Razz

haha CRT Room is the floor above ray Wink Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone commented on my TV woes comment above, so figured I'd respond....
knob2001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!...

Sorry for bumping this thread after a year, but when you search in google about the VW50 ballast this forum is the only place to be valid.

Once said that, and being sorry again, i need some help. My brother has one VW50, and with those 3 pattern lights and the bulb getting no light my bet is a ballast malfunction.

In order to change it, i must find one compatible. On ebay there's some EUC 200 A/01 but the Sony VW50 is supposed to use the EUC 200 A/02 (it ends on 2, not on 1). Does anyone know about their differences (1 to 2)? Should i buy it?

Here's the unit, where he claims about the VW50 compatibility... i don't know what to think.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/OEM-Ballast-EUC200A-01-for-Dell-2300MP-Sony-VPL-VW50-Epson-EMP-835-Projectors-/390607388420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af203bf04&_uhb=1

BTW, i'm from spain and as far as i know, the ballast is not expecting AC input, just DC v, so it can't be a difference between an USA or Europe piece.

Thank you
knob2001
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A02 is a revision of the ballast, A02 would be the latest design of that ballast over the A01. It will work either way. I would really bet its the bulb first, and for $65 cost of a cheapie bulb on ebay, they are worth buying and trying the projector first with that.

I thought the ballast for my VW50 was bad but it was not. It was the bulb. I could have saved myself $70 had I bought a new bulb first.

In the end, if you do have to replace the ballast, then the A01 EUC 200 will work.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jeremy.

Thank you for the fast answer.

The guys at sony told him (my brother) it was the bulb, but neither an ebay bulb nor an original one solved the problem. As soon as you put the new bulb, the projector works for some minutes, then it turns off and then the 3 lights pattern begins.

I have the official troubleshooting flowcharts, and, like you say, the most probably cause will be the bulb. Then the ballast and the least, the GA-Board.

I've tried the bulb. I will try the ballast... and then, who knows. But is The VW50 is still a great, great projector. For 70$ it's worth a try, isn't?

Thanks again.
knob2001
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knob2001 wrote:
But is The VW50 is still a great, great projector. For 70$ it's worth a try, isn't?

Compared to today's LCoS projectors, the light output and contrast ratio of the VW50 isn't great. But we're talking about a 6 year old projector, so that's to be expected. It's still capable of throwing a solid picture, and for only $70 the fix is WELL worth not having to buy a new projector. I'd argue that you'd have to spend at least 10x-15x that much to get something comparable.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
knob2001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

That's my point. Of course a 6 years old projector is not what it was once, but -and this is off topic stuff- for a mid level living room, paired with a mid level screen, and a sound system focused into not disturb the neighborhood by night, most of the 1080p DLPs projectors of this size are enough. I mean, meanwhile the WOW effect remains in your head every time you press play on the bluray player, you will not miss the next step.
What once was good, is still good enough, at least until the next revolution (like 4k vs 1080p). But again, this is kind of a new thread.

I'll try the ballast meanwhile the 4k tides are coming to europe.

regards,
knob2001.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: