Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My Pearl took a dump :\
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: My Pearl took a dump :\ Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So yeah.. score count: CRT 3, Digital 0

My Sony VPL-VW50 "pearl" has somewhat died. The bulb will not spark, and its not the bulb, I have 2 confirmed good ones and all I get after it attempts to ignite the lamp is the red "Lamp/cover" LED blinking

Sooooo..... Since Im not a digital PJ repair guy, what is the deal? O_o This thing is harder to get into than walmart on black Friday Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I getting ready to sign off for the night but is it a 2x blink or a 3x blink?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Mac and all Forum goers!

The projector blinks twice for the lamp/cover LED. I have to assume nothing serious went wrong because the fact the day before it stopped working it was working perfect, but that means squat these days Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2 blink code is lamp cover or filter cover. Both covers have a switch that should close when the cover is installed. If the covers are properly installed then you will have to test the switches with you DMM to make sure they read closed.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

I checked the switches with the DMM, they do read closed, and the covers go on nice as well. So unfortunately that wasn't it. Sad

Id have had my CRT going by now if it had problems, damn digis Razz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely the LAMP/COVER LED that's blinking and it's definitely 2 blinks?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
It's definitely the LAMP/COVER LED that's blinking and it's definitely 2 blinks?

Yep mac, it IS the Lamp/Cover LED. It blinks red twice, pause, blinks twice, pause, etc etc etc.

I can recheck the switches with the DMM if I have to, it just seems like a simple issue because the night it worked, I turned it off, no issues whatsoever, the next day I went to use it this issue happened. The PJ didnt get bumped or anything...

Dammit Sony, what the hell is wrong with you? Razz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to trouble shoot then?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible mac, Id like to get it fixed, I WOULD like to keep it so it would be nice to get fixed anyway. Razz

Okay heres an update, the projector NOW blinks 3 times... SO I will try the other bulb once. I noticed the switch for the filter cover is a finnicky one as far as the cover itself goes, but I know it was on correctly.

For chills and thrills Ill try the other bulb anyway and see wht happens, but as I said before, it blinked only twice, and now doing 3 times.

Update to come shortly Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it blinks 3 times still with the other bulb, so it may have always blinked 3 times, I cannot be sure since its only one extra blink for a completely different issue....

Anyway, sorry mac, it was THREE blinks *My bad* with either bulb, so yes if you are offering assistance I would be very greatful Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 blinks is lamp or lamp ballast.

First thing to check is for DC voltage at CN301 on the GA board. This would be a 2 wire harness going to the ballast. You can check it at the ballast if it's easier. It should be around 330v to 385v. Use caution when working around the ballast as there are HIGH VOLTAGES. Your better off connecting jumper wires to your DMM while the projector is off and unplugged, then turn it on to get your readings. Make sure lamp is installed and all covers are in place.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, took me a bit to make sure that I was on CN301, wasnt too hard to visually see the only 2 wire harness there, but anyway,..

With the DMM set to HV so it can read the voltage, I turn the PJ on and the DMM glitches then has random readings, glitches, then it goes up to 390V steady while the green Lamp/Cover LED blinks, nothing happens, goes back into standby and blinks 3 times, voltages drop down to nothing.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, next you need to locate the connector on the ballast with 5 wires. It should be the only other harness connected to it, other then the lamp wires.

You'll need 4 pieces of wire long enough to push into that connector and reach outside the projector to your DMM. Tape 1 end of each wire to a piece of card board. Mark on the cardboard pin1, 2, 3 and 4. This is where you will be testing with your DMM. Then push the other end of each wire into that connector accordingly for pin1 , 2 and so on. You will not be testing pin 5 on that connector.

Now connect your DMM gnd to the pin 2 wire and set it to DC. Now connect the pos probe to pin 1 and start the projector and record the reading before it goes into shut down. Then test pin 3 on startup , and then pin 4 on startup.

Let me know your readings.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, sorry I havent gotten back to you, I just got my Sansui G-4700 in and I started working on that (Mainly because it will be making me some $$$) Its almost done so Im going to go ahead and test those points on the PJ tonight and post back for you.

Just didnt want you waiting around Razz

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do Jeremy112, Curt Palme, Tim Martin, Analogrocks and several others here have in common?

HOARDERS! Razz
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
What do Jeremy112, Curt Palme, Tim Martin, Analogrocks and several others here have in common?

HOARDERS! Razz

NEVER curt Razz I only have about 12000 pounds of electronics/computer equipment so thats not so bad Razz

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no hoarder. I'm a collector of multiple pieces of the same thing.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.... Never got to the pearl yesterday, mondays are never good around here to do anything I want to do.

Thats what teusdays are for! I am getting the PJ ready for the readings as I type so I will post them shortly Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

Pin 1 in standby, during startup, and after shutdown is at 3.30V

Pin 3 is at 3.30V in startup

Pin 4 is at 1.28v on startup

As a side note I envy those who work on digitals, you must have small fingers! Razz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

As a side note I envy those who work on digitals, you must have small fingers! Razz

When it comes to digitals I usually only use my middle finger........ Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: